I got hit on my bike this morning. I'm okay

James in Brum

Less than one month after passing my full test I was stationary at a T junction turning right minor to major positioned about a half a meter back from the junction line and same from the middle line and a car coming from my left cut the corner and drove into the front of my bike without having seen me, no breaking I think. I'm gutted and shaken and upset. I think the bike is done. She is only worth about 12-1300 pounds and the steering points straight and the wheel points to the right. Have taken the details and handed them to the insurers. I'm just gutted if I have lose my bike, I'm not mechanically minded so have no idea what the above symptom is likely to be because of and how much that will cost to repair. I really love my bike :-(

Not sure why I am posting really other than you are my tribe and might know what it's like. or have some wisdom.

So sorry to hear, it really pi$$es me off people cutting corners when turning, post up some pics and see what the general concensus is regarding the damage, keep your chin up as this wasn't your fault :thumb: :cheers:

Edited by dynax

Less than one month after passing my full test I was stationary at a T junction turning right minor to major positioned about a half a meter back from the junction line and same from the middle line and a car coming from my left cut the corner and drove into the front of my bike without having seen me, no breaking I think. I'm gutted and shaken and upset. I think the bike is done. She is only worth about 12-1300 pounds and the steering points straight and the wheel points to the right. Have taken the details and handed them to the insurers. I'm just gutted if I have lose my bike, I'm not mechanically minded so have no idea what the above symptom is likely to be because of and how much that will cost to repair. I really love my bike :-(

Not sure why I am posting really other than you are my tribe and might know what it's like. or have some wisdom.

James , I'd be happy to come over and have a look at it . Where in Brum are you ? PM me .

Sorry to hear that. Sure you're ok? No pulled muscles or anything? Could I ask if you were in bright colours? Lights on? Any excuse for the smidsy?

Re the bike, at that sort of value I'd expect it to be a write off. Start scouring the adverts for similar bikes.

If they hit the front then I'd be wanting new forks/wheel as a minimum plus theres the possibility of frame damageat the headstock. Its going to come out of their insurance so be ready with a value you'd be happy with.

Guest Richzx6r

I hope you aren't hurt or anything as you may get symptoms once the adrenaline has worn off so if you start feeling sore or things start hurting go get checked out, as for the bike and your evaluation in your post I'd probably guess the insurance will deem it an economic write off so as has been said get at least 3 other examples of bikes in similar repair and mileage to what yours was prior to this accident and give them a figure you would be happy with

This could of been worse , your relatively ok but you bike sounds fooked. Look at it as new bike time , every cloud.

Your neck and back must be sore and aching :wink: £1200 pay out for bike and £2000 compo for injuries :thumb:

I would say bye to the bike, personal injury claim prob worth 3.5k if you suffer issues for a few weeks, take off claim companies fee, even no win no fee have insurance costs etc, you should be looking at 3k ish for you and bike.

Don't trust your own insurance for making a personal claim, decent accident place will run rings round them and will want to sort it asap more importantlglad your OK, bike can be replaced

Edited by Bender

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully the driver will play straight with the insurance, but it's a pain in the bum all the same.

When I passed my test (many moons ago) the examiner said I'd ridden well but gave me one bit of advice. Ignore the way they teach you to turn right. One day if you do it by the book someone will cut the corner and knock you off. Always take a position nearer the middle of the lane. It blocks traffic but it's safer.

A car turning right across you can't see your indicator most of the time so the flashing warning is lost, and unless your bars are turned left chances are your headlight isn't catching their attention either. At one local junction I often turned the bars slightly to the left to point the headlamp at oncoming traffic as they cut the corner at some speed.

Hope you aren't too sore - shame about the bike but it can be replaced.

Guest Richzx6r

But twats shouldn't be cutting the corner and I'm not being funny but if a motorcycle is waiting at a junction then the side of said motorcycle is clearly visible from a distance so there is no defense for bad driving standards and no defense to the other driver saying they didn't see the motorcycle, it would be like the same happening to a car waiting to turn right at the same junction.!

Really boils my piss when cagers say they didn't see the motorcycle. More like they couldn't be arsed to look

Sorry for the delay in getting back everyone and thanks for kindness. busy at work even after my crash.

My claims handler has been on the phone, because it is third party at fault they are going to send me an nc750s until the decision is made about my bike etc and it is paid. They agree probably a write off but may want to repair it myself.

just on the phone organising them collecting my bike and taking it away to be assessed.

i did get some soreness arrive once the panic had gone, i it persists i will think about claim but if only a bike of discomfort for a couple of days i won't.

[mention]fastbob[/mention] i will drop you a line in a pm later. you've offered your support a couple of times and I appreciate it.

Regarding what I was wearing. All black motorcycle clothes but with a hi-vis green/yellow vest and my helmet is bright green/yellow. I don't think th drive can have looked to be honest but of course may argue SMIDSY despite looking.

I have never had to do this sort of thing. The claims handler is confident in telling me that they are going to get the other insurer to pay for everything including the hire of the stand in bike. He said it would be likely 6 weeks until I am having to accept or argue the replacement value of the bike and then if I accept I can either keep the bike but give them some money (£300 ish) or take all the money an d leave them with the bike.

The thing about the injury claim, I do not want to do anything unreasonable and certainly not anything fraudulent. Is it worth claiming for just aches and pains?

Sorry for the delay in getting back everyone and thanks for kindness. busy at work even after my crash.

My claims handler has been on the phone, because it is third party at fault they are going to send me an nc750s until the decision is made about my bike etc and it is paid. They agree probably a write off but may want to repair it myself.

just on the phone organising them collecting my bike and taking it away to be assessed.

i did get some soreness arrive once the panic had gone, i it persists i will think about claim but if only a bike of discomfort for a couple of days i won't.

@fastbob i will drop you a line in a pm later. you've offered your support a couple of times and I appreciate it.

Regarding what I was wearing. All black motorcycle clothes but with a hi-vis green/yellow vest and my helmet is bright green/yellow. I don't think th drive can have looked to be honest but of course may argue SMIDSY despite looking.

I have never had to do this sort of thing. The claims handler is confident in telling me that they are going to get the other insurer to pay for everything including the hire of the stand in bike. He said it would be likely 6 weeks until I am having to accept or argue the replacement value of the bike and then if I accept I can either keep the bike but give them some money (£300 ish) or take all the money an d leave them with the bike.

The thing about the injury claim, I do not want to do anything unreasonable and certainly not anything fraudulent. Is it worth claiming for just aches and pains?

Yes it is , especially as they could last for weeks or months :thumb: youve got your self a nice big lemon .... now go and squeeze it .

Sorry to hear this.

Good that you're ok enough to be posting about it, but as per the above, it's worth going to a&e or your gp ( if they're good) if you feel anythings not right with your body - injuries can take a day or 2 to become obvious.

Keep on top of your insurers too - they are always slow to pay out, and offer stupidly low settlement values ( although being non-fault does help you a bit)

Stay well,

Guest Richzx6r

Yes it is worth it as if the knobhead hadn't taken you off your bike the likelihood is the you wouldn't have experienced the aches or pains so you are entitled to compensation due to the accident, I had my accident in March and I'm still going through the personal accident claim, and my finger still isn't totally healed 100% but if been told I'm only likely to get £2700 before fees

Definately claim for injury, teach the stupid prick to be more vigilant and don't drive like a nob, screw the twat for every penny you can get :thumb:

Gotta agree with this! I hate corner cutters, had a couple of close calls myself with pricks just like this. Glad your OK mate, metal mends and if it doesn't its easily replaced! I can appreciate how shaken you feel, first time I had a bump I was exactly the same, don't let it knock your confidence, chalk it up to experience :thumb:

Sorry to hear this, glad you are reasonably OK.

Not much to add to the above but don’t forget to claim for any damaged clothing especially the helmet. It touched the road didn’t it.

I had an accident years ago and got a damaged leg as a result. Foolishly I never made a claim and now 40 years later I have problems with that leg that MAY be a result of the injury. Had I claimed at the time I might have at least got some compensation then which would have been some consolation now - not much mind!

Honestly I've seen some increasingly outrageous driving on the roads. You see it almost every friggin day! I'm always saying to my other half after witnessing some shit driving either they are oblivious to other road users around them and can't help it ... or they are complete dicks that don't give a damn! Biking has always been a hazardous pastime but now more than ever we need to be vigilant. More cars and traffic on our roads ... In your case thank goodness you weren't seriously hurt. Just stay alert and continue to enjoy your riding and thanks for sharing.

One of the most upsetting things for me was I had kind of assumed that at some point I might have an off. I thought that when it happened I would have some part in it, not fault but could have avoided by assuming the person would Mia-behave or SMIDSY. In this case alertness would have achieved nothing. I was stopped at a junction :-(

One of the most upsetting things for me was I had kind of assumed that at some point I might have an off. I thought that when it happened I would have some part in it, not fault but could have avoided by assuming the person would Mia-behave or SMIDSY. In this case alertness would have achieved nothing. I was stopped at a junction :-(

Glad your OK, however not all injuries are broken bones, you may also have the emotional pain and anxiety of getting back on the bike, worrying what will happen at every junction, emotional stress, just like your comment above. I seriously hope this does not affect your ability to ride. A visit to a GP is not a bad thing if anxiety creeps in, you know for the record!

I was once a trauma patient after being hit head on by a speeding driver who lost control of their car. Dont rush for a claim and don't necessarily go with your insurers claims people/solicitors.

However I hope your back up and out again on two wheels soon enough

Guest Richzx6r

Glad your OK, however not all injuries are broken bones, you may also have the emotional pain and anxiety of getting back on the bike, worrying what will happen at every junction, emotional stress, just like your comment above. I seriously hope this does not affect your ability to ride. A visit to a GP is not a bad thing if anxiety creeps in, you know for the record!

I was once a trauma patient after being hit head on by a speeding driver who lost control of their car. Dont rush for a claim and don't necessarily go with your insurers claims people/solicitors.

However I hope your back up and out again on two wheels soon enough

Good words them :thumb:

Been looking on Fleabay and I can get a full forks set with (are they called?) yokes?

For a hundred pounds.

If it is just the front end is a difficult thing to swap the forky bits?

It’s not that difficult but you really need to check the full extent of the damage. Is the frame straight? There’s usually more busted than at first appears so if you’re claiming off the driver I’d look to their insurance to sort it out rather than you landing yourself with a load of hassle.