How much does a front brake caliper move

Beans

I'm following along with the instructions on replacing front brake pads on the Biffer, from here http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/mc029.htm

I'm at the first hurdle and think I am falling. Push Pistons Back. Push the brake caliper towards the wheel (photo here: http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/brk23.jpg)

Should I actually notice the caliper travel towards the wheel, cos I tried this last night and I swear it didn't budge

What it didn't say is before pushing pistons in, to allow fitting of new pads, pump pistons out about 10mm, clean all the crap off them and then push them in until they are fully into the cylinders. Keep an eye on fluid level .

Please don't take offense at me stating the obvious , but have you unbolted the calliper first ? I would also loosen that pad retaining pin before you lift the callipers off the disc .

"Replacement Procedure

First action is to wash your hands to be sure the brake disks and pads are not contaminated with any greasy stuff.

Remove lid and rubber boot on front brake fluid container so you can watch the fluid level changes during the following steps.

Push Pistons Back

Starting with e.g. the right side and using hand force, push the brake caliper towards the front wheel."

I've never worked on one of those but to my mind you'll struggle with hand pressure alone to push the pistons back into the caliper by pressing on the caliper by hand. It usually takes some leverage to push the pistons back which on things I've done I've always done with the caliper unbolted and had to use some form of lever to retract the pistons. Plus you'll have the resistance of the pins to work against and that's no small thing.

Unless these are a totally different design - as I say, I've never worked on one.

Something must be happening. After pushing the calipers I have to pump the brake lever a couple of times so that suggests that I am pushing fluid out of the calipers. Anyway I am going to take it to my good friend at sports and Customs and get him to do it. Cheers

If they are sliding callipers then technically you can push the pistons in by pushing the Cali per in towards the wheel.

However, on my GPX with sliding callipers it was not easy to do this as the sliding pins get stiff and the pistons get gunged up.

So as MB says it is easier to remove the callipers and pus the pistons in with a lever or piston spreader.

E25B852E-3CA5-4999-A838-9D8DA7DF58A1.thumb.jpeg.43ac4201ea6e398510f27a9599cc07d4.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

If they are sliding callipers then technically you can push the pistons in by pushing the Cali per in towards the wheel.

However, on my GPX with sliding callipers it was not easy to do this as the sliding pins get stiff and the pistons get gunged up.

So as MB says it is easier to remove the callipers and pus the pistons in with a lever or piston spreader.

Gotta love a good spreader

No offence taken Bob. The instructions say push the caliper in *before* unbolting, don't they?

You must mean push the PISTON in before removing .

All I ever did was unbolt the callipers and give them a bit of a twist and then lift them off the discs . The only obstacle I can see to doing this would be a badly lipped disc or really crudded up calipers that aren't working properly .