Advice Needed - New Helmet

Hey all, I'm getting back in the saddle after a few years off. I decided to stop lurking and join in. I've been doing a bit of research for a new helmet and came across this guide: https://bikerrated.com/sharp-5-star-rated-helmets/ - do you guys worry about SHARP ratings? I seem to remember an ACU sticker was all you needed when I last bought a lid but should I get a 5-star rated one this time?

As bender says, I wouldn't buy a 1 or 2 star rated either, but equally I'm not convinced the tests are particularly good. Lots of the big manufacturers don't get 5 stars yet off-brand plastic ones do. There has been criticism that the tests are flawed from the start so i tend to go with bigger manufacturers who will have done their own testing, research, and development.

Hey all, I'm getting back in the saddle after a few years off. I decided to stop lurking and join in. I've been doing a bit of research for a new helmet and came across this guide: https://bikerrated.com/sharp-5-star-rated-helmets/ - do you guys worry about SHARP ratings? I seem to remember an ACU sticker was all you needed when I last bought a lid but should I get a 5-star rated one this time?

Acu is needed for race tracks usually

Acu is needed for race tracks usually

i reckon if they are good enough for racing they are good enough for anybody :wink:

What you buy should be determined by what shape head you have.

Years ago it tended to be you were either an Arai or a Shoei head.......now the lines have got blurred between them a bit.

So you need to need to try out as many brands as you can to see which is the best match to your head.

I was always a Shoei head........and 3 years ago I was going to replace my Shoei with another one. But I tried on a HJC......the fit was virtually identical to the Shoei, had the same safety rating......and was half the price. No brainer really.

Next time round I'll go for another HJC again.

Exactly. Find a helmet that fits you and then worry about the rest of it. EG I fancied the carbon fibre AGV modular helmet. Tried on the 62-63 cm size and it was huge, far too loose. Went the next size down and closing the chin piece was crushing my jaws into the back of my head - agony. Same ostensible size of 61 cm but Schuberth fitted like a glove. After a 1000 miles it still does. To reiterate - try helmets on before you buy. Don't buy second hand nor off dodgy website. Buy online by all means but from a reputable company. I used Helmet City but actually bought at their store in Cheltenham. Paid the online price as well after I pointed out that my helmet was £150 cheaper on line than in the store.