a2 training practising without instructors

hello

A small question if anyone can give me some quick pointers.

I have a friend who has a full car license for 5 years and nearly 2 years ncb riding a 125cc. hes decided its time to upgrade to a big bike.

He saw what it would cost him to do the training and hire a bike so he can pass his a2 license and it comes too over £500 for a 3-4 days course which quite frankly he doesnt know what he should pay that for. He says he understands if he was a newbie but not when hes pretty much got 7 years on road experience.

So he has gone and bought the bike he wants to ride and basically he said he will get the insurance done on it and ride it himself to some car parks etc to practise on it.

Insurance has been done even though he doesnt have a license and he asked them over the phone how that works and they told him as long as he has got a instructor with him in radio contact he is able to ride the bike at car parks etc including at the test centre for his test.

Now the question is, what are the chances he will get pulled and caught if he rides the bike on his own to car parks to practise for 20 30 minutes a day? the bike will show up as insured and he has experience already on the road and knows how to be sensible about it so what are the chances he will get stopped and caught? Effectively the only way he can get caught is if he rides like a mad man or gets into an accident or they ask him for his license?

Personally in my experience I have been stopped on quad bikes and cars for "insurance" check ups and they only ever ask for name, address etc to see if the details match up with the insurance provider so im guessing he could get away with it?

If he does get away, its only cost him less than £200 to get his full license  which compared to £500+ is a huge amount.

I suppose with the amount of drivers driving uninsured anyway and no one gets pulled anyway if the car shows up as insured so bearing in mind hes going to have his helmet and full gear on as well and the bike shows up insured, guessing he shouldnt really have problems to ride it to a car park to practise?

Thanks.

Now the question is, what are the chances he will get pulled and caught if he rides the bike on his own to car parks to practise for 20 30 minutes a day?

If that's the question then I guess the answer is 'low'. I've haven't been pulled over in 14k miles. If the question is 'is it legal' then the answer is 'no'. His insurance is simply not valid as he doesn't have a licence and even if it were, well, he doesn't have a licence which of course means it's illegal.

If he has any kind of accident either on his own or involving anyone else he will not be insured and is obviously committing an offence. Strongly recommend against doing any such thing. Also passing his test will be problematic at the examiner will expect to see an instructor present for both Mods. Like to know how he plans to practice for his Mod 1. Crack on mate as I m guessing it's yourself not an imaginary "friend".

You don't need to book a 3-4 course to pass the full/A2 test if you are confident. Most schools will have a price per hour/2 hours. Mine was £30 per session. I had around 4 sessions (£120) and booked in for test.

What you are describing to do is illegal and I hope you/they get pulled for it. There are already way too many uninsured folk on the road. Don't add to it.

I had 13 years driving experience with more than a quarter of million safe unaccidented miles and 15 months on a geared 125 with nearly six thousand miles. I needed my 3 days training to pass my test.

I am not answerring the question you are asking but I am offering unsolicited advice; Take the hit and pay for the instruction to make it legal. There is a big differnece between a 125 and a bigger bike, the Mod 1 test is not a piece of P155 and requires practice at the right distance between the cones etc etc.

It is a lot to stump up but then repeat test etc are a lot to stump up. Also if I was an examiner and you turned up on your own bike without an instructor (and they seem to know the instructors) I would question whether you had gotten there legally.

I rode a crosser loads as a teenager, had a car license for 20 years and did my CBT and then rode a 125 for 3 months before having 1 lesson and then the tests. The courses are designed for outright beginners, speak to a school as lots will do hourly/day rates.

Try getting insurance as a new rider if you have just been done for riding otherwise in accordance to your license and having no insurance (as its going to be void) and then tell me £500 for training is steep!

You don't need to book a 3-4 course to pass the full/A2 test if you are confident. Most schools will have a price per hour/2 hours. Mine was £30 per session. I had around 4 sessions (£120) and booked in for test.

Damn I wish I knew about that. My 4 days was waaaay overkill.

hello

A small question if anyone can give me some quick pointers.

I have a friend who has a full car license for 5 years and nearly 2 years ncb riding a 125cc. hes decided its time to upgrade to a big bike.

He saw what it would cost him to do the training and hire a bike so he can pass his a2 license and it comes too over £500 for a 3-4 days course which quite frankly he doesnt know what he should pay that for. He says he understands if he was a newbie but not when hes pretty much got 7 years on road experience.

So he has gone and bought the bike he wants to ride and basically he said he will get the insurance done on it and ride it himself to some car parks etc to practise on it.

Insurance has been done even though he doesnt have a license and he asked them over the phone how that works and they told him as long as he has got a instructor with him in radio contact he is able to ride the bike at car parks etc including at the test centre for his test.

Now the question is, what are the chances he will get pulled and caught if he rides the bike on his own to car parks to practise for 20 30 minutes a day? the bike will show up as insured and he has experience already on the road and knows how to be sensible about it so what are the chances he will get stopped and caught? Effectively the only way he can get caught is if he rides like a mad man or gets into an accident or they ask him for his license?

Personally in my experience I have been stopped on quad bikes and cars for "insurance" check ups and they only ever ask for name, address etc to see if the details match up with the insurance provider so im guessing he could get away with it?

If he does get away, its only cost him less than £200 to get his full license  which compared to £500+ is a huge amount.

I suppose with the amount of drivers driving uninsured anyway and no one gets pulled anyway if the car shows up as insured so bearing in mind hes going to have his helmet and full gear on as well and the bike shows up insured, guessing he shouldnt really have problems to ride it to a car park to practise?

Thanks.

Don't be such a dumbass f@ckwit, pay the money for proper training and do it right, or get off the fekking road :twisted:

Riding Un insured is a completely selfish twatfull thing to do and if he does it I hope the only thing he damages in the event of an accident is himself, the risk of getting pulled is an irrelevance.

a lot of law abiding citizens have to dig deep and pay to be on the road :|

Riding Un insured is a completely selfish twatfull thing to do and if he does it I hope the only thing he damages in the event of an accident is himself, the risk of getting pulled is an irrelevance.

a lot of law abiding citizens have to dig deep and pay to be on the road :|

I have been there and done that, try insuring a 4.2Ltr jag when your 18 followed by a lancia beta, if you can't afford it don't ride or drive it or work longer, that's what I had to do.

Damn I wish I knew about that. My 4 days was waaaay overkill.

I had been riding my 125 for nearly 2 years to be fair. Thankfully I had not picked up too many bad habits so the hours on the bike was mostly just getting used to the bigger bike. :D