Checking chain tension

dynax

When checking chain tension do you do it with the wheel on or off the ground, just checked mine and with the wheel off the ground it is just within tolerence by a couple of mm's, the bike naturally falls on the front wheel leaving the rear floating when on the centre stand, but checking while on the sidestand is awkward and i can't get a true result, any advice appreciated :thumb:

generally its done under tension. on the sidestand. ideally its done with the riders weight added. But, this isnt always possible and so the manufacturers give a 'range'.

Ive seen a gadget on FB that makes this job extremely simple and easy.. the bike doesnt need to be on the side stand as the 'slack' is formed within the gadget itself.. and you simply tighten the chain. remove said gadget and the slack is then spot on.

You can do it on the centre stand.. but only if you know what the 'perfect' slack is on the side stand.. and then what is added to this when the bike is lifted onto the centre stand.

so.. for my bike. the slack should be 45-55mm on the side stand.. add the extra when its on the centre stand (5mm) and so.. on the centre stand the tension needs to be between 50mm and 60mm

and thats how i do it.. i try to get 55mm of slack on the centre stand. pop the bike onto its side stand and its now 50mm. right where it needs to be.

Thanks [mention]Gerontious[/mention] , mine is between 20-30 mm and when i measured it on the centre stand it was around 28mm so i guess that when the wheel is on the ground it would be around 23/24mm so should be nicely between the tolerence, thinking about it i could use a mitre square to measure it keeping the ruler bit tight against the swingarm :thumb: :cheers:

[mention]dynax[/mention] you need to check the bike manual. Mine clearly states to check the chain when on the centre stand wheel off the ground.

@dynax you need to check the bike manual. Mine clearly states to check the chain when on the centre stand wheel off the ground.

Thanks @JRH, had a look but no mention of it in user manual, will do some digging around online and see what i can find :thumb:

Just been out to measure it while it's on the side stand and it reads the same as when it was on the centre stand, the only thing i could find online was to make sure the chain is not too tight or loose :lol:

I always sit on the bike and use the jaws of an open-ended spanner to wiggle the chain up and down with as much of my weight on the seat as I can get. As the suspension wears it'll sag more and you may find the specs in the book don't work any more because the further it sags the tighter the chain will be. You could also be far fatter/heavier than the engineers expected, or the suspension might not be original front or back..

Also check the tension and then wheel the bike along, then check again - many chains have tighter and looser areas, you have to make sure the chain isn't drum tight at the tighter area.

The manual for my 2002 Fazer says to check the slack on the centre stand, and it should be 30-45mm. I know when the slack is not right since the gearchanges are very sensitive.

But the Haynes manual says to check the slack on the sidestand :scratch: . It's easier to sort the chain tension on the centrestand...

Finding the tight spot on the chain it's vital too, you dont want a ruined output shaft bearing, which on fazers is an engine out job...

Guest Richzx6r

I normally stick mine on the paddock stand and lean over the seat to check it, I generally do it by sight and feel than scientifically and I don't normally have any problems with it its more about getting the wheel to stay straight that I struggle with