Turkey bike scene

Bianco2564

Just got back from a weeks holiday in Marmaris, Turkey.

Few observations;

95% of bikes there are scooters.

Almost no one wears a helmet let alone any form of protection for the body or gloves.

Their idea of bike clothing is a tee shirt, shorts, flip flops and shades.

Most scooters are capable of carrying up to 4 people.

You don't need to stick to the roads;riding along pavements or through the grand bazaar is fine.

Hooting the horn at anything that moves is obligatory.

Considering their fairly relaxed attitude towards safety and obeying the rules of the road, how do they survive :shock:

Marmaris !

I rented a small car there about 4 years ago & couldn't get out of Marmaris fast enough but once in the country wow what a beautiful place drove up to Pamukkale to see the mineral springs & Roman ruins, did some parasailing off the cliffs twas a great visit. I did wonder a few times if we'd get kidnapped !

FB_IMG_1569022714575.jpg.28a2f46ff93a02bfcef0ae1d0b72b89c.jpg

FB_IMG_1569022853521.jpg.3159e585bd683d352c1f9f2381774180.jpg

an easy comparison. death and serious injuries.

2017 UK "serious" bike accidents 9,740

in Turkey its an average of 3,500 per month.

Statistics I found say that 14% of the vehicles in Turkey are bikes compared to 3% here.

More bikes and a less than healthy attitude towards safety in both riding apparel and driving behaviour will equal more deaths and injuries.

I sort of get why bikers in med countries ride without the full clobber on. Day in and day out 30degs + is a bit off putting. They take the risk but don't seem to manage it very well. That's one reason I won't ride or hire a bike abroad. Looking at [mention]XTreme[/mention] in Spain, he manages it very well. :thumb:

I sort of get why bikers in med countries ride without the full clobber on. Day in and day out 30degs + is a bit off putting. They take the risk but don't seem to manage it very well. That's one reason I won't ride or hire a bike abroad. Looking at @XTreme in Spain, he manages it very well. :thumb:

Absolutely.......cos I've seen people get skinned back in the 70's.

It ain't easy though.......up to 35C at speed the wind will give you a bit of respite.

Above 35 you're in full body hair dryer mode......so you learn to choose your riding times around the seasons.

Mornings in Summer.......afternoons in Winter!

I feel mislead by the title of this thread. :|

My bad.

I really wanted to write; "People in Marmaris Turkey mostly ride scooters and don't give a toss about their wellbeing" but it wouldn't fit. :wink:

Should have just missed out the vowels, those of us who texted in the 90s would have understood.

It is almost impossible during the summer in Mediterranean to have all protection like in north Europe. Yes thermometer goes over 30 , much over 30 but that is measured in the shade, on the Sun could be 20 more easily. And that goes for over 90 days or more. 20 years ago special summer equipment did not exist, all those perforated jackets are pretty new stuff, same with the boots, trousers etc, ant there is also economic aspect where people manage to gat enough money to get only motorcycle and helmet as it is mandatory.

Telling that from my own experience living there for 40 years.

And there is also cultural aspect and many more things.

If you will have a chance to spend 3 months there during the summer time, would like to here the comments.

Again from personal experience, my wife is British and her safety standards were dropped significantly down in the summer.