Chain cleaning

manxie49

Does anyone know if you can use household heating oil to clean your motorcycle chain? The way I see it, its basically kerosene? Also any advice on a good chain lube?

Cheers :thumb:

Flavour of the month for me is Muc-off all weather chain lube. Cracking stuff and very durable.

Does anyone know if you can use household heating oil to clean your motorcycle chain? The way I see it, its basically kerosene? Also any advice on a good chain lube?

Flavour of the month for me is Muc-off all weather chain lube. Cracking stuff and very durable.

Cheers for that, I use muc-off for cleaning but didn't realise they did chain lube, will take a look :thumb:

According to a quick flick through the internet , Kerosene is the best chain cleaner you can use on both plain and O-ring chains . It is actually recommended by many manufacturers . So if you happen to have oil fired heating then you have a virtually limitless supply of chain cleaner . Right then , can everyone bring a bottle round to your house please ? Not me though I've got a boring old belt drive .

Cheers for that, I use muc-off for cleaning but didn't realise they did chain lube, will take a look :thumb:

Smells amazing and glows in uv too which is... Cool

According to a quick flick through the internet , Kerosene is the best chain cleaner you can use on both plain and O-ring chains . It is actually recommended by many manufacturers . So if you happen to have oil fired heating then you have a virtually limitless supply of chain cleaner . Right then , can everyone bring a bottle round to your house please ? Not me though I've got a boring old belt drive .

Cheers Bob, going to blag a couple of dips from my neighbours oil tank ... :thumb:

Cheers Bob, going to blag a couple of dips from my neighbours oil tank ... :thumb:

Ok , do you want me to keep watch for you ?

I use paraffin poured into a spray bottle. Lightly spray on chain and sprocket. Leave for a couple of minutes, agitate with a brush and wipe off with a rag. Easiest and best way to clean chain in my view. I then use Wd40 chain lube to finish off.

I guess parrafin is ok too then,as its a lighter grade version of heating oil

Kerosene (jet fuel) and paraffin are pretty much the same thing. The only real difference is additives to create different odours. Kerosene is the American name for it ( like gasoline to our petrol)

After a lot of thought and advice, I have a brush the same as the one in Gerontious's photo, going to use paraffin "stop my neighbours getting p----d at me for dipping their oil tank" and I'm going to get some MOTUL chain paste, seems to get good reviews[attachment=0]11a.jpg[/attachment]

Just two tips about paraffin - don't let it drip onto a tarmac drive or it will eat a hole through it, and don't get it anywhere near brakes as it contaminates the pads which gives them the stopping ability of a Jaffa Cake that has been dipped in tea.

I will not admit to how I discovered the above.

Guest Richzx6r

Just two tips about paraffin - don't let it drip onto a tarmac drive or it will eat a hole through it, and don't get it anywhere near brakes as it contaminates the pads which gives them the stopping ability of a Jaffa Cake that has been dipped in tea.

I will not admit to how I discovered the above.

Have you been using jaffa cakes as replacement pads again :roll:

After a lot of thought and advice, I have a brush the same as the one in Gerontious's photo, going to use paraffin "stop my neighbours getting p----d at me for dipping their oil tank" and I'm going to get some MOTUL chain paste, seems to get good reviews11a.jpg

It’s really good I use it for over the year, still on the first tube. It’s dense and need to be well spread, brush is not so bad, overall one of the best I ever used.

After a lot of thought and advice, I have a brush the same as the one in Gerontious's photo, going to use paraffin "stop my neighbours getting p----d at me for dipping their oil tank" and I'm going to get some MOTUL chain paste, seems to get good reviews11a.jpg

It’s really good I use it for over the year, still on the first tube. It’s dense and need to be well spread, brush is not so bad, overall one of the best I ever used.

Thanks, I read a few reviews on SBS and everyone seems to be giving it five stars so thought I'd give it a try, a friend told me about it yesterday, he said it clings well and has dramatically reduced the amount of chain lubing he does in the winter months

Its not like chain lubing takes a long time. and if it does... you're either doing it wrong or overdoing it. which almost amounts to the same thing.

Helps to have a centre stand. obviously. or some method of raising the real wheel. but if not, just a bit of heft.

And you can keep all these magical sprays, pastes, potions and so on... all of which seem to be more about emptying your wallet just to save getting your fingers dirty performing a two minute job once a week, fortnight.

(the horror)

Its not like chain lubing takes a long time. and if it does... you're either doing it wrong or overdoing it. which almost amounts to the same thing.

Helps to have a centre stand. obviously. or some method of raising the real wheel. but if not, just a bit of heft.

And you can keep all these magical sprays, pastes, potions and so on... all of which seem to be more about emptying your wallet just to save getting your fingers dirty performing a two minute job once a week, fortnight.

(the horror)

I put some bobbins on the rear and invested in a paddock stand, works a treat and as you say it does make the job much easier, even been out today and bought a spray bottle and some paraffin :thumb: