bike won't start after gear change

Do I have to remove this last part? Or does the piston look okay?

Did you find the head of the valve inside? Since you appear to have smashed the inlet valve it will have likely rattled around in the chamber and mullered everything, what does the head look like? How marked is the valve seat? Can you provide pictures of everything?

Hi, I found the head of the valve within the cylinder head . I dont think it looked too bad and the bike cut out immediately so surely there won’t have been much time for it to wreck owt? But I’ll send some pictures tonight and you can have a judge

So I have removed the broken (and bent!) valve and the damage to the cylinder head seems to be minimal. However, the break was directly beneath the head of the valve, so a part of the valve is still stook in the disk and held in place by the two little shimmies (not sure what they’re called). Will I get away with just a new valve and new oil seal? The coils seems to be okay as well.

6B112E4E-7AA6-4107-8757-D00E5B3F4929.thumb.jpeg.bca673ee029252f1357786eabb79d920.jpeg

742386AC-EDD1-4270-9986-D789F859AF93.thumb.jpeg.b2b5c28e1725d3e13b704151629ea011.jpeg

The "shimmies" are called collets - it you give what's left of the valve stem a little tap from the underside then the stem and collets should pop off. Best do this over a bit of scrunched up cloth or something as they can ping off.

Get a new valve and pop it through the valve guide to see how it fits - how much play is there etc.

Looks like you got off quite lightly with the head - what does the piston look like?

The piston appears fine and goes up and down as intended when I pump the kickstart. How much are new valves usually for these? I rang up a local bike shop today and they quoted me £50 but also looked online and saw them for sale at £15, so is the bike shop trying to rip me off or is the online one too good to be true?

The piston appears fine and goes up and down as intended when I pump the kickstart. How much are new valves usually for these? I rang up a local bike shop today and they quoted me £50 but also looked online and saw them for sale at £15, so is the bike shop trying to rip me off or is the online one too good to be true?

What bike?

I recently bought a new valve direct from Kawasaki for around £25.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again it’s been a while but all parts arrived and have finally got round to reassembling engine. I have installed the camshaft in place but when I pump the kickstart it doesn’t spin? Do I need to attach it to something at the bottom? I only ever took off the top end of the bike

I have removed this cover at the side and I assume what I’ve circled is the clutch and I hook the chain on behind this. I have removed the central retaining bolt but can’t get it off. Am i missing something?

43C7E280-38F3-472C-BFE6-43B1F544D705.thumb.jpeg.d5ce8f20ed4ef08b2c0252cb68cdfef6.jpeg

I have removed this cover at the side and I assume what I’ve circled is the clutch and I hook the chain on behind this. I have removed the central retaining bolt but can’t get it off. Am i missing something?

No that is NOT the clutch . That is the rotor on the Alternator ( Generator )

Don't loose the plot now . If you come through this and that bike fires up , you will have made a giant leap forward on your journey to becoming a motorcycle mechanic . This is how all us older blokes learned . The hard way ! Good luck . Oh yeah , get a bloody manual . 😁

Ah I understand now thanks for replies, the cam chain has come off the cog that sits behind the alternator so I was just making sure I was doing the right thing by taking it off. Once it’s sorted I can match up the timing marks and such from there?