Torque Wrenches

Scox91

I kind of agree in principle as if you an engineer you get a 'feel' as to how tight a bolt it getting. BUT, someone new to bikes may well really swing on a 6mm bolt going into aluminium. They are not animals they just have not learnt to feel.

Another thing to consider is the amount of times a bolt has been removed when going into aluminium, the bolts will never wear out but the aluminium will.

More threads have been damaged and bolts stretched using torque wrenches than not using them.

Have you told the Aviation industry? they need to know! Seriously - you cannot damage a thread using the correct torque settings if you use the wrench correctly. Most wrenches these days are break-back. Once they click, that's it. Torque setting are calculated my the manufacturer to standards depending on thread size and material. There is usually loads of leeway too. Where I work we have a 10% tolerance. If it strips its because it was cross threaded, dirty going in, or corroded.

I bought a small one for my bicycle that goes up to 25Nm with a 1/4 drive and I have just bought a 3/8 on that is 8 - 110NM. My rear wheel nut is 80NM so its all covered. With a 10% tolerance it doesn't need to be super accurate either.

You just need to resist the temptation to give it a little more "for luck" :angel12: