Does crime affect your choices?

daveinlim

Due to work I changed from 2 wheels to public transport. Riding the bike to work didn't make sense. However things have changed again and I'm considering buying something to commute in to central london again in the new year. My plan is to buy something smallish, light and reliable, (used z300, cb500, duke 390 are some bikes I've considered.)

Theres nothing wrong with any of them bikes but having something a bit sportier or a bit flashier or more expensive just seems like asking for trouble. I'd love some mid weight supersport but in london, parked on the street it seems like only a matter of time before its nicked.

Crime in central london has influenced my decision on what to buy and how much to spend. Is that the norm now?

Makes sense. I bought a 2006 CBF500 for work and I leave it anywhere knowing it's not going to attract attention. I won't go on the Bobber to most of the places I have to leave the bike, just asking for trouble.

So I think you're being wise. I was looking for a CB500 when I found the CBF, virtually the same bike really. Reliable, cheap to run, easy to ride on poor roads.

And that's disgusting in this day and age why have ppl have to make decisions like this the police /courts should be cracking down on the scum . We should be able to buy what we want to buy without thinking is this going to be nicked .

I feel sorry for the police as they do do the job but the courts dont lock these scum . .

Definitely being sensible, I did exactly the same when I lived in Leicester, I had an old nail of a bike for going to work due to the amount of vehicle crime where I worked at that time. Even now when I go anywhere I'm really picky about where I go and always consider where I have to leave my bike parked, secure parking, even if its further away than I want to be will alway be given first consideration. I agree with bikerdad, its a disgrace that in this day and age we have to do things such as this to protect what we own and cherish, due to the light fingered scum on the streets, who have probably never done a stroke of work in their scroty little lives, they seem to think that if they haven't got it or can't afford it then they have the right to just take it!

I can see the attraction of 2 wheels in Central London. I would probably go for a cheap Chinese 125cc dirt bike. More power would be wasted imho.

I had considered the new keeway rkf naked bike or rkr sport. Even some of the bikes I mentioned seem like targets. On paper it looks like a great 125. But will likely loose 50% of its value in 1 year, then rust and fall apart.

I think it's a sensible decision. It's a shame your company does not have secure parking. My only concern if it was me is, can I afford a second "fun" bike? I know you can have fun on a CBF and everyone's idea of fun is different but for me I would want something quicker for the weekends.

I passed my test on a CBF (albeit a 650) but it feels a very good commuter bike, good seating position and the 500 will certainly be powerful enough for that commute.

On another note though i found hard work riding in central London with a geared bike. I was travelling about 35miles so a twist and go was not what I wanted. Depending on your commute maybe a 200-300cc twist and go might be a more comfy commute.