Bar ends and weights

brad93

Hey all,

So I have bought some bar end mirrors, thinking it’s a simple switch (which it is for anyone that doesn’t have a Z650). Now Kawasaki have used red locktite on the bar end bolts so it’s near on impossible to get them off without heat guns and impact guns which I don’t have.

Now the problem I have is that the whole bar end spins when I try to undo the bolts and if I pull hard enough the whole assembly comes out the handlebars.

I’ve read a couple bits online where people have just pulled the bar ends and weights out and then just took them apart outside of the handlebars, some have got the weights to go back in, some haven’t.

Has anyone here removed there bar end weights before and just left them out? I’m worried about just pulling the whole thing out only for me to not be able to get the new bar end mirrors to fit in and be stuck!

Just fitted bar end mirrors to mine , it was a doddle , got the dealer to do it :thumb:

I'm not much help am I .

I work around the corner from a Kawasaki dealer so tempted to have a wonder round and see if they’ll do it! Whoever decided using red locktite on the bikes needs a swift beating!

I must be missing something because I don't understand the problem. If you can pull the whole assembly of the existing bar ends out then do so. Surely the mirrors then just replace them?

Or are you saying part of the original bar ends is still inside the handlebars?

I removed the bar end wights from my F700. I've noticed no difference to be honest. It does however have metal hand guards, so there is still some weight there.

The more well made bar end mirrors have weights in them too, so if there is a noticable difference without the weights. Installing the mirrors should solve it.

I must be missing something because I don't understand the problem. If you can pull the whole assembly of the existing bar ends out then do so. Surely the mirrors then just replace them?

Or are you saying part of the original bar ends is still inside the handlebars?

You are correct :)

I was worried about pulling the whole assembly out of the handlebars in case something important was in there. But went and spoke to the Kawasaki dealer and they said I’ll just have to pull everything out

So I ended up taking the whole assembly out of the bars to see if I could make any more progress. The new mirrors DO NOT fit (even though the Kawasaki techy guy assured me they would) the rubber expanding bushing bit in the photo attached is too small. On top of that I still can’t get the bar ends off so I’ve given up for now

80359275-4791-4697-AE86-00E4F16289BF.thumb.jpeg.fdd595eff2bc97049f7dae9c0cedc2f4.jpeg

2067B084-A0E8-43F5-806A-89164A075EDE.thumb.jpeg.595f6707a3d779f2651928050634c15f.jpeg

I'm no expert but have you considered mounting the mirrors onto your original bar ends? Looks like you can detach the weights from the mirrors and thread your assembly through maybe?

The problem is that the bolt going through is full of red locktite.

I’ve actually fitted the bar end mirrors now. As you do the Allen bolt up the rubber bit expands inside the bar and ‘secures’ itself. I’ve seen some other mirrors where a collar expands as you hit a screw in to it which I am trying to source but I shall fit the other mirror after work tomorrow and then go for a quick ride around on Saturday and see how secure they actually are

0A33E804-C59F-4474-83B9-E9BD3A65E814.thumb.jpeg.9a3ca111ac31c5de49c11f0abaf559d8.jpeg

Will you be able to get your dic lock cable off with the bar end mirror in place ? :shock:

I assume you mean disc lock lol! And was only test fitting them luckily!

Do you mean they "didn't fit" because you didn't tighten them up or is there something I'm missing? :scratch:

Partly, I tightened them up as much as I can without damaging them but they still move if you push or pull them with my hand

Will you be able to get your dic lock cable off with the bar end mirror in place ? :shock:

I assume you mean disc lock lol! And was only test fitting them luckily!

Must read post before posting.

Must read post before posting.

Must read post before posting .....

Glad you'd thought ahead ! :thumb:

Update for anyone that might have this issue in future. Took the whole assembly out and used a spanner and Allen key to get the bolts out. Absolutely pain in the ass!

Fitted both mirrors, they’re great until 40/50mph then they vibrate pretty bad, can still see cars in the mirrors but not the best, probably doesn’t help that there’s nothing in the handlebars now although I can’t tell any different personally. They look good though, might see if I can slide the inserts back in though so see if it helps with vibrations as it’s a pain to pull in the clutch to see behind clearly as the vibrations stop then!

D8437D1F-9F0E-46F7-AD76-6054AFC91FCF.thumb.jpeg.6f8d11fd30c4e91f6db27cb0a985d593.jpeg