Handlebar shims?

Arwen

Looks for opinions please… are handlebar shims safe?

Example:

https://sjmotorcycleengineering.com/collections/handlebars/products/bsa-triumph-t100-t120-t140-handlebar-sleeve-shim-7-8-bars-set-4-97-1425-sj191

The reason I am asking is on my rebel I could do with heated grips and the bars slightly closer to me. The heated grips I like are only available on 7/8th inch bars.

The clocks on the rebel are molded(?) onto the top clamp, and the rebel has stock has 1inch bars.

So I am thinking of buying 7/8th inch bars that will work well for me position wise, and using the above shims so I can still use the stock clamp.

However somewhere in my head is saying using shims like this may be... problematic.

So you buy different bars to suit your grips and position... Will all your controls fit the new bars ,?

Will your throttle cables ,clutch cables/hose ,brake hose/cables & electrical wiring allow repositioning without affecting operation?

Thanks guys, guess I just wanted reassurance that it would work.

Yes [mention]fastbob[/mention] , it has inch bars. Previous rebels had 7/8th bars which is why some sites list the 500 as having the same. I went down to Honda yesterday with a measuring tape to confirm :lol:

[mention]TimR[/mention] the wiring will all reach no bother. I'm only looking to bring them back an inch or so.

As for the controls, most are clamps, so I'll probably use the shims there too. I will need to confirm how the indicator switch's bit is mounted though.

Hi [mention]Arwen[/mention] , the trouble you will have is the switchgear which will probably have a peg to locate in bars and probably won't sit on shims, and the throttle twistgrip, the inside will still be 1 inch and o/d won't take the 7/8 heated grips!!!, Why can't you use the Oxford heated grips for 1 inch bars, and just pull your bars back abit! Or buy 1 inch bars!!!, Otherwise you may have to buy a twistgrip and housing from the earlier Rebel to fit and by the time you have changed the bars and twistgrip shim's etc going to cost abit, just find a set of 1 inch bar's 😀😀.

A lot of 1 inch bars have 7/8" ends.

Really?! I've only heard of renthal fat bars that are like that? They would make life a bit easier... What other brands do them? I'd like to have a look.

Hi [mention]Arwen[/mention] , the trouble you will have is the switchgear which will probably have a peg to locate in bars and probably won't sit on shims, and the throttle twistgrip, the inside will still be 1 inch and o/d won't take the 7/8 heated grips!!!, Why can't you use the Oxford heated grips for 1 inch bars, and just pull your bars back abit! Or buy 1 inch bars!!!, Otherwise you may have to buy a twistgrip and housing from the earlier Rebel to fit and by the time you have changed the bars and twistgrip shim's etc going to cost abit, just find a set of 1 inch bar's 😀😀.

Yes there is a locator peg, yes it makes it more difficult, but it's not impossible.

It's easy enough to get a 7/8th throttle tube. Wich will go with the 7/8th heated grips.

Oxford cruiser heated grips are... Naff looking in my opinion. "Oxford" written in big letters with silly tribal swirls...

oxford_heaterz_premium_cruiser_heated_grips_750x750.thumb.jpg.46cbf9a96f6cf32d7409afb863aea55b.jpg

The retro ones is what I like, but they only come in 7/8th.

9349-el693_1-1-3-1000.thumb.jpg.f41728f8ddb89b15268ca95f2dc6661f.jpg