Has everyoen stopped commuting for the winter?

Pbassred

The road have been very quiet in terms of bike lately. I think I saw 2 on my way to work this morning. During the summer you couldn't move for bikes on the North Circ. How else do they commute? I'm most surprised that the Scooters have disappeared. What are those huge, square boxes for if not deliveries?

The road have been very quiet in terms of bike lately. I think I saw 2 on my way to work this morning. During the summer you couldn't move for bikes on the North Circ. How else do they commute? I'm most surprised that the Scooters have disappeared. What are those huge, square boxes for if not deliveries?

Fairweather rider here. In winter I take the cage with the heated seats.

Been out today on the bike to the local hospital, good job as well as the traffic near the hospital was chaos and the car parking was even worse.

I'm off out again this evening teaching a course near Warrington. Wrap up warm and it's fine. The biggest issue at the moment is it's potato harvesting time so the tractors are leaving the local roads covered in mud. You need to be really cautious on rural roads.

Been out today on the bike to the local hospital, good job as well as the traffic near the hospital was chaos and the car parking was even worse.

I'm off out again this evening teaching a course near Warrington. Wrap up warm and it's fine. The biggest issue at the moment is it's potato harvesting time so the tractors are leaving the local roads covered in mud. You need to be really cautious on rural roads.

Bikes are golden for getting in to the hospital near me. Been in and out the last few days and the ability to nip round the dodderers and park fairly near the entrance saved me a load of headache.

Plus it avoids the £2.20/hr parking charges for 9 hours/day. :-)

Bikes are golden for getting in to the hospital near me. Been in and out the last few days and the ability to nip round the dodderers and park fairly near the entrance saved me a load of headache.

They charge you to park in hospitals now Fro? :shock:

They have charged for a long time in the UK. We spent a fortune when my mum was going through Chemo.

Absolutely agree regarding mud covered rural roads. I was out in Somerset yesterday and some roads were like the Somme - pure mud. Not helped by all the water oozing out of springs and onto adjacent roads.

They have charged for a long time in the UK. We spent a fortune when my mum was going through Chemo.

Walsgrave Hospital Coventry , and this is from 2016 ! Bloody criminal .

Screenshot_20191016-193244.thumb.png.0cb09056beec68c1d3f338d0e9e0efc2.png

Walsgrave Hospital Coventry , and this is from 2016 ! Bloody criminal .

You should see Bury St Edmunds hospital - one of the most expensive in the UK plus, for bonus arsewipery, they've been digging up the main carpark since January and turning most of it in to disabled parking with the rest of the parking scattered around the site a decent walk from the only entrance. Not what you need when your wife is about to drop a sprog!

I never started commuting for summer :?

Yeah , I cannot imagine anything worse than having to commute on a motorcycle and my sympathy goes to those who do . My commute is five minutes on a bicycle .

Absolutely agree regarding mud covered rural roads. I was out in Somerset yesterday and some roads were like the Somme - pure mud. Not helped by all the water oozing out of springs and onto adjacent roads.

Mud, sand and leaves are all here in good supply in Suffolk. Still, the roads are still nice and grippy - it won't be like that for much longer.

And - to answer the OP - yes, far fewer riders out there now than there were over the summer.

Still commuting here.. been commuting on the bikes for the last two years, Only done a couple of days in the car, and I couldn't stand it. I can't abide sitting in queuing traffic anymore. Both bikes have been booked in for the All Year Biker treatment next week, ready for winter. :thumb:

Shit! That's f**king criminal........charging people in situations like that!

i heard that at one time they used to charge the nurses at our local hospital but i think they have now knocked that on the head :|

We're going off topic but my sister works for the NHS and has to pay to park in the staff car park and it's a 20 minute walk from the hospital unless she wants to pay a much higher price and park in the main hospital car park.

i heard that at one time they used to charge the nurses at our local hospital but i think they have now knocked that on the head :|

Mother-in-law still does a bit of nursing and she has to pay to park. Also, at Bury St Eds, all staff must either find alternative transport or park elsewhere 1 week out of 3 (or something like that) on a rota system so all the back roads round and about are clogged with hospital staff cars.

But yeah, charging for parking is ridiculous. You're not going there to mince about and have a coffee after all and my arse are the fees ploughed back in to critical staff and facilities.

[/grumble, grumble etc]

When I was visiting Chesterfield Hospital last year I went on the bike nearly every time. Free premium parking with camera coverage and near the building entrance.

Even the barriers on the car parks are short so you can ride on through :thumb: