I got hit on my bike this morning. I'm okay

James in Brum

Thanks for the advice. Insurance are sorting it. I expect them to write the bike off and am wondering about buying it back and mending or having it mended.

I really love the bike.

Don't want to put a dampner on it, but the bike will never feel the same, it will ride and handle differently, personally i would let it go and move on, if anything serious happend to Xena as much as i love riding her she would never be the same :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks for the advice. Insurance are sorting it. I expect them to write the bike off and am wondering about buying it back and mending or having it mended.

I really love the bike.

Tbh I did that with my ninja so its now sitting in my garage awaiting me spending some time getting it ready to use as a track bike as it was cat b written off so cant be used of the road again

Took the NC750S to work this morning. I might pretend I am a journalist and that it is with me to review.

I felt sick almost all the way to work. Whereas I have enjoyed every (literally every even in epic rain) moment on bikes until now this morning I did not. I just felt a bit unsafe and nervous. I got the job done and I know I need to plough through this but it has annoyed me that what was a joyous part of everyday currently is not. Just venting at you, thanks for listening.

after my off, where I did my shoulder in I felt slightly "off" things so I went out for a late night run when there was hardly any traffic and rode to a local reservoir, just to prove to myself that I could still ride and push it on roads that I know well. it helped me regain my confidence

Update.

I binned the hire bike on a roundabout on Friday. I thought I had broken my foot but just bruised. Totally my fault, not used to the bike and how it gives the power and over cooked coming into a roundabout trying to fit in a gap.

I feel/felt embarrassed. I took the hire bike out yesterday to tackle nerves. Feel like a muppet and to top it off I feel a bit anxious even when not on the bike.

I re-did the roundabout yesterday. I think it might be a while before I can enjoy this biking lark again.

Update.

I binned the hire bike on a roundabout on Friday. I thought I had broken my foot but just bruised. Totally my fault, not used to the bike and how it gives the power and over cooked coming into a roundabout trying to fit in a gap.

I feel/felt embarrassed. I took the hire bike out yesterday to tackle nerves. Feel like a muppet and to top it off I feel a bit anxious even when not on the bike.

I re-did the roundabout yesterday. I think it might be a while before I can enjoy this biking lark again.

Stick at it :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

Update.

Just take it slow and don't rush yourself, and try not to over think everything as the will make it worse, I was slightly anxious when I got back on the bike after my accident but I just tried not to over think it and now I'm back to enjoying the ride

As Rich says, don't over think it. is there anyone you know local to you that you can go out with? the company of others is great for helping remove stress /anxiety as it you have a distraction in the sharing of the ride.

I would come on a bimble with you myself but am very busy at work so not a lot of spare time

• 1 month later...

How long since this all happened? Ages.

Update today. The other side insurance company have offered me £800 as the original value of my bike :-( obviously I said to F off. I have provided the original listing for when I paid for it a few weeks before I got hit.

Update.

I won't be doing a lot of riding for a while but I'd be happy to drop by in the spring and accompany you on a ride out to Stratford upon Avon Bike Night or anywhere South West of Birmingham . I know some great routes in that area and beyond . A bit of sustained scenic riding is just the thing to get you back on track and boost confidence. Oh , don't worry about keeping up . Remember , I ride a tractor that cannot go round corners . ( Yeah right 😋 )

Update.

I won't be doing a lot of riding for a while but I'd be happy to drop by in the spring and accompany you on a ride out to Stratford upon Avon Bike Night or anywhere South West of Birmingham . I know some great routes in that area and beyond . A bit of sustained scenic riding is just the thing to get you back on track and boost confidence. Oh , don't worry about keeping up . Remember , I ride a tractor that cannot go round corners . ( Yeah right 😋 )

Hi [mention]fastbob[/mention] I'd like that. Fortunately since the binning the borrowed bike I have put about 1400 miles on it :-), My confidence and stuff is definitely affected but I am not letting it stop me. I have a bit of anxiety which is frustrating given my profession but will see the vet about it I think, see if they can help.

Come the spring I would enjoy a ride out :-) following your tractor. If I cannot manage to easily repair my bike I might ask for your help also (which you can decline of course).

Update.

Hi @fastbob I'd like that. Fortunately since the binning the borrowed bike I have put about 1400 miles on it :-), My confidence and stuff is definitely affected but I am not letting it stop me. I have a bit of anxiety which is frustrating given my profession but will see the vet about it I think, see if they can help.

Come the spring I would enjoy a ride out :-) following your tractor. If I cannot manage to easily repair my bike I might ask for your help also (which you can decline of course).

Happy to do a bit of spannering or wrenching as I am now obliged to call it . I haven't got any projects lined up this winter so the opportunity to bugger up someone else's bike would be most welcome . 😉😁 I should have the ER5 back on the road soon so transport isn't an issue. Stay in touch .

Hi @fastbob I'd like that. Fortunately since the binning the borrowed bike I have put about 1400 miles on it :-), My confidence and stuff is definitely affected but I am not letting it stop me. I have a bit of anxiety which is frustrating given my profession but will see the vet about it I think, see if they can help.

Happy to do a bit of spannering or wrenching as I am now obliged to call it . I haven't got any projects lined up this winter so the opportunity to bugger up someone else's bike would be most welcome . 😉😁 I should have the ER5 back on the road soon so transport isn't an issue. Stay in touch .

No Winter project ?? - throw a rope & grappling hook into Sutton stop - I’m sure you’ll get summat 😁

How long since this all happened? Ages.

Update today. The other side insurance company have offered me £800 as the original value of my bike :-( obviously I said to F off. I have provided the original listing for when I paid for it a few weeks before I got hit.

Sorry to hear about your accident [mention]James in Brum[/mention],

You should do some research online to get a rough guide on what the market value is for your bike, similar models, mileage and year. What is your own insurer saying the value is for your bike?

They are not. They initially seemed disinterested. I did some looking and said that 1350 was more like it. They are disputing the settlement figure now. If not sufficient movement I shall go to the ombudsmen.

It’s difficult to find a 1990 zzr600 with 17000 miles on in great condition.

They are not. They initially seemed disinterested. I did some looking and said that 1350 was more like it. They are disputing the settlement figure now. If not sufficient movement I shall go to the ombudsmen.

It’s difficult to find a 1990 zzr600 with 17000 miles on in great condition.

When i was looking this past week, i didn't notice any ZZR600's at that price many were well into £2000 and above, if they won't settle on a decent amount tell them you want an identical bike instead :thumb:

Good plan. I did suggest if they could find me 90 zzr600 with 17k on the clock and service history in good condition they were welcome to buy it for me.

My inlaws were hit in their car a few years ago they had a BMW they would only settle on a like for like as they only had the car a few weeks, the other insurance company had to have one commissiond direct from Germany as the specs of their car was the only one in this country, took nearly 8 months for the replacement :lol:

Must been thinking of my conversation with the claims handler. They were saying that if the appeal is successful I will get the extra in a second check.

Been thinking and I think I should not give up the hire bike (at other drivers expense) until I have the mount that would replace my bike? Does that seem right? The handler suggested the appeal could take 5-6 weeks?!

Be careful hanging on to the hire bike - I was knocked off my bike (many moons ago) and although the driver was legal and insured he did a flit and was never seen again so it took ages to settle the claim.

I had a hire car for around 9 months at the insistence of my insurance company even though I didn't really want or need it.

Needless to say, when the claim was resolved, his insurance company demanded proof of my "need" for the car or they would refuse to pay the quite substantial bill and charge me directly.

Naturally I sorted it out but just be aware that the insurance company is just champing at the bit to give you the shaft!

Thanks for the advice. I will be careful.

I need a bike and I don’t like the idea of being offered a derisory amount and having to give the hire bike back before I have enough to buy a replacement or mend my bike or whatever.

What annoys me (in advance) is I thought the point of the insurance is that I am not too inconvenienced for someone else’s error.

What annoys me (in advance) is I thought the point of the insurance is that I am not too inconvenienced for someone else’s error.

That is how is should be, perhaps telling them that might give them a kick up the arse, maybe having a dig around in some of the small print might throw something up about their responsibility as an insurer to deal with your claim, which if they don't do could leave them open to breach of contract or something :thumb:

Here is the latest. I have just spoken to my claims handler.

I have to accept the valuation as is for now and that does end the replacement bike whether I like it or not. They are referring up the chain to ask about having the hire bike longer without cost to me. We are disputing the valuation given by the other insurance company.

Because I am third party insurance we are stuck with the claims handling company talking to the third party and there is little I can do. If I was fully comp I am told that my insurance company would be involved and would have paid me or something like that.

The third party have issued a payment which I find insulting on a not prejudiced basis or something that means they have not acknowledged fault yet either.

It seems that even though I do not have enough money to replace my bike it's tough, I can raise it myself with the third party insurance company and I can complain and then take it to the ombudsmen which I will once we have finished through the claim handlers. IS this everyone else's experience?

Any advice?

If you settle and looks like you might have to at this stage, there will be a clause which they will want you to sign regarding any future claims against the third party, do not sign it, leave yourself some breathing space so that if you wanted to you could take them to a small claims court and make a personal claim against them directly :thumb: