Best balance of fuel efficiency and fun?

James in Brum

I have the perfect storm around me to think of options for a possible second bike. Or possibly not.

I will hopefully have my zzr600 back to fix soon, I have my Lexmoto Falcon 125 and I have a new job to start in a few months.

My current job has me driving on motorways and national speed limit roads and the a45 where pulling away at the front of the traffic light cue or coming on at a slip road made the 125 feel inadequate.

My new job affords me the chance to just ride urban roads and avoid congested motorway type stuff if I fancy.

I can average about 50-55mpg on the zzr and 90-95 on the 125.

Is there something in the middle? I could keep the zzr for fun and commute on something else.

Is it just a case of picking a 300-400 cc bike? Any recommendations? Any thoughts? Just keep the Lexmoto for it until it dies as that is the only way to get any value out of it? What do you think?

The engine capacity isn't the while story. I get 60+mpg from the 1200 Bobber and around 50mpg from the CBF500. The smaller engine works harder.

If you want economy consider the NC750. The guys I know who have them are very pleased with them.

That’s interesting I have an nc750s on loan from the insurance company and had not thought of it.

It does give about 60-70 mpg and is reasonably agile if dull. Only downside is finding one fore cheap enough, they are a relatively new model aren’t they?

Is there an equivalent that is 10+ years old and therefore cheap?

The thing I did not share is that in this imaginary wander through the possible I have an imaginary low budget of 1.5k :-)

Ok, so you won't find a NC750 for that kind of money. I'm assuming you need bulletproof reliability for a daily commuter. Less fuel efficient but very capable and available for your budget, why not look for a good CB500? That's what I was doing when I ended up with my CBF workhorse, which cost me just under £1500. The older Honda's have better build quality than the new stuff. In fact the price of older Honda's is currently rising. I don't think I'd get my CBF now for the same money.

It won't set the world on fire but it will cruise at motorway speeds all day without complaint.

OK on a serious note!

Fun miles gives me low 40's to the gallon fully laden with panniers top box and the wife on the back close to and sometimes above 50mpg

As a rule I don't check I just fill up when it needs fuel

the bikes a toy and not for worrying about mpg!

Thats why we have two cars that do high 60's to the gallon

I fully understand that thinking [mention]Stu[/mention] for us my bike/bikes are utilitarian as well as fun. We have a car but it’s for the family and with working 20+ miles away from home i’d Rather it was at home in case my wife and kids need to get to a hospital or something.

If I can get my zzr safe and roadworthy it really already probably is the best of both worlds. Top box and my usual riding style brings 50-60mpg.

But there is part of me that wants to cherish the bike not just use it until it’s knackered.

All of which is daft sentimental nonsense.

If I really wanna get an extra 50% mpg I will ride the 125. I do quite like fantasy though, it’s astonishing what you can buy there.

[mention]James in Brum[/mention] Thats where I'm pretty lucky really the wife has a car as do I and I work 3 miles away and the wife works 8 miles away :lol:

I use the bike every now and then for work but not often as by the time I have got it out and got ready I can be there in the car :?

But as I say the bike is a toy and always has been and probably always will be

I thought fuel economy on a bike was measured in smiles per miles :mrgreen:

Think that was definitely the case on the Aprilia RSV4!, amazing sounding, amazing handling wonderful motorcycle but.....25 MPG :( . Still they’re not really a commuter, OP don’t buy one :P .

I doubt a 400 will do it for you. My DR-Z400 does 70 mpg or more (and 70 spm*) when you keep under nicely 60. But put it on a dual carriageway and make it keep up with the traffic and that plummets to about 45 mpg. And the fun drops off in the same proportion.

* smile per mile.

• 2 weeks later...

Motorbikes are shockingly poor re. Fuel economy. There's no getting around it, the only environmental argument for motorcycling is that we take up less space on the road. I think it is a real shame. I'm convinced motorbikes can be fast, fun and fuel efficient

Motorbikes are shockingly poor re. Fuel economy. There's no getting around it, the only environmental argument for motorcycling is that we take up less space on the road. I think it is a real shame. I'm convinced motorbikes can be fast, fun and fuel efficient

My 500 isn't great on fuel unless I ride like a grandad, which I tend not to as it needs to be ridden hard to be entertaining. The Bobber however can be ridden like a loon and still turns out towards 70mpg. Bigger bikes are often more economical in terms of fuel because they aren't working so hard.

The same is true of cars - I can get more mpg out of my 1.8 than our 1.0 car, especially when on the motorway. Round town the smaller one wins though. On rural A roads the 1.8 is phenomenol on fuel..

My R1.

1000cc;150hp;45mpg average,50 mpg if ridden steady.170mph if you want.

My scooter.

600cc;50hp;50mpg average;55 mpg riden steady;112mph if you're brave.

Take your pick.

Gotta be the R1 every time 8-)