Advice on socket sets

dynax

Well.. if you insist on living in such a high crime hot-spot as Harrogate. it kinda comes with the territory. Is living there so expensive you cant afford insurance?

We thought they were insured. I wrote something on here about it at the time: we'd rented a small workshop to complete a few DIY jobs (making doors and windows, and rebuilding some PA cabs) and the insurance company had assured my wife on the phone that the contents were covered. It turns out they weren't. :(

What ive seen is that people with expensive tools.. especially Snap-On, use them as bragging rights. something they just cant resist showing off. and Its only a matter of time before the news gets into the ears of the wrong people. Which is why I recommend Bahco. only people who know about tools will even recognise the brand and who owns it. Plus a little detail thats quite important.. to some, where the steel comes from and where the tools are made. (and it aint China)

Bahco stuff is great - I have a few pieces of theirs, with a little 1/4" socket set being one of my most-used tools. It was mainly woodworking power tools that I lost in the theft, and they were taken from a quiet little workshop tucked away in the middle of nowhere, chosen specifically so we could get on with projects in peace and seclusion. The other three units on the site got cleaned out at the same time.

Someone a tad wiser than me once said about buying decent (expensive) tools. "Buy once - Cry once."

Until they get stolen, and then you cry again. Then you have to replace them, and cry a third time... :crybaby:

Well.. if you insist on living in such a high crime hot-spot as Harrogate. it kinda comes with the territory. Is living there so expensive you cant afford insurance?

What ive seen is that people with expensive tools.. especially Snap-On, use them as bragging rights. something they just cant resist showing off. and Its only a matter of time before the news gets into the ears of the wrong people. Which is why I recommend Bahco. only people who know about tools will even recognise the brand and who owns it. Plus a little detail thats quite important.. to some, where the steel comes from and where the tools are made. (and it aint China)

Really! I know a few people who buy nothing but Snap-On tools, they happen to be professional mechanics and it's as natural for them to buy Snap-On as we go to the shop to buy a bag of spuds. The key thing is, they use them all the time, they need the best.

I suspect the OP of this thread just wants to start a collection of tools which is great but why spend lots of dough for (I again suspect) tools that might never see the use they're intended for. I built up a fairly good tool selection over the years by buying the quality ones that I knew would be used more than once or twice when I needed them. Actually Gerontious, it was you who put me onto a very good torque wrench (Draper) years ago which I still have and use occasionally to this day. I've even had it checked out for accuracy a couple of times and it still remains good.

Horses for courses, I say.

Don't forget a good insurance policy this time.

We moved to a new unit shortly after the theft, and in addition to being fully insured (with a different company to the last one) the new place has a large fob-operated electronic security gate, extensive CCTV that can be viewed and controlled by mobile phone, an alarm system that is externally monitored 24/7 and a no-nonsense Yorkshire landlord across the road with a shotgun and a big dog, plus a lot of like-minded friends nearby, also with shotguns and big dogs. I think any pikey who tries his luck there will rapidly find himself wishing he hadn't. :shock:

• 4 months later...

I got this.

https://tinyurl.com/y2qd9dy5

i thought it was handy getting £224 off, thats unlikely to be a 'real' discount.. but the quality of the entire package is exceptional. and includes a set of spanners too

I already have a decent set of spanners, and this set should cover most of my needs :thumb:

I have got it, very nice kit should serve me well and piece of mind with a lifetime guarantee :thumb: :cheers:

Machine Mart's Clarke Pro kit is really good value, and they do honour their guarantees. Good choice dynax.

Beware of Machine Mart's hex ended screwdriver set . These are basically fake . The hex ends are hollow pressings set in plastic and will not turn the rest of the screwdriver if you use a spanner in them . The " Hardened " tips are also painted on . I also had a Torx key from there disintegrate in normal use recently . I think everything they sell is built down to a price to maximize their margin and that includes the Clarke branded stuff . Handy place for one off jobs but I wouldn't buy " Lifetime " tools from them .

I have never had a problem with stuff from Machine Mart, got loads of Clarke kit some going back 20 plus years still being used :thumb:

I'll post a picture this evening . If you buy two products in a row that fall to pieces in your hands it is bound to colour your judgement . Here you go , how's that for useless ? A hex on a round shaft . I specifically bought these for a job where I needed to push and turn at the same time . I couldn't take them back because I knackered them up with a Mole grip .

IMG_20191010_174204129.thumb.jpg.aa4e7bd3fab77bfc27f6dc357ab7c1bb.jpg

Edited by fastbob

I have never had a problem with stuff from Machine Mart, got loads of Clarke kit some going back 20 plus years still being used :thumb:

I think their older stuff is ok. I've got a fair bit of it. But I've stopped buying stuff at Machine Mart because some of the Clarke stuff is just east Asian stuff with their badge slapped on it, and it's clearly made down to a price. You can get the same stuff cheaper elsewhere.

I think their older stuff is ok. I've got a fair bit of it. But I've stopped buying stuff at Machine Mart because some of the Clarke stuff is just east Asian stuff with their badge slapped on it, and it's clearly made down to a price. You can get the same stuff cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Well it's an entertaining clip and one of my personal favourites but can't quite put it into the context of Machine Mart peddling Chinese tat at above internet prices .

• 3 weeks later...

Snap on? They do some offers and they are bloody good

I used to have a very comprehensive collection of snap on gear, till i got burgled and the lot was taken :twisted:

now i just get stuff that will do the job as cheap as possible,

I bet that pissed you off!! They are scum those barstards!!

May well be to late for a reply here but here goes. Get single hex sockets as they cause a lot less damage.

As to what some have said, i recently took the top end off a Kawasaki 500 and 3/8 drive were not up to the job because there there was not enough leverage to undo the cylinder head bolts. I used my 1/2 in drive set.