DIY tyre fitting .

fastbob

I was browsing YouTube for ideas on fitting my own tyres when I came across this . To say that I was astonished would be an understatement . Can it really be that easy !?

">

Looks like he struggled a bit to be honest!

At the state he started at I could have had that tyre on before he got the first tie wrap (zip tie :scratch: ) on it

but I do have a manual tyre changer :lol:

At the state he started at I could have had that tyre on before he got the first tie wrap (zip tie :scratch: ) on it

Well I used to get my GSXR,s tyres fitted by hand by a friend and he used to be grunting and sweating for ages as he struggled with levers and rim protectors . I'm definitely going to give this a go .

I was browsing YouTube for ideas on fitting my own tyres when I came across this . To say that I was astonished would be an understatement . Can it really be that easy !?

Easy! I was breaking out into a sweat just watching him.

Easy! I was breaking out into a sweat just watching him.

Some surprising reactions so far . Perhaps I'm easily impressed . I still can't wait to give it a go though . I'm going to fit a back tyre to the ER5 in a week or so .

Well I used to get my GSXR,s tyres fitted by hand by a friend and he used to be grunting and sweating for ages as he struggled with levers and rim protectors . I'm definitely going to give this a go .

Some tyres are worse than others for fitting but a lot of it is technique!

I sent [mention]Mr Fro[/mention] a couple of vids a few years ago of me changing some tyres with the manual changer I have

I think it took me no more than 6 mins removing and refitting tyres including breaking the bead! so much easier than with levers and protectors

I sent @Mr Fro a couple of vids a few years ago of me changing some tyres with the manual changer I have

I think it took me no more than 6 mins removing and refitting tyres including breaking the bead! so much easier than with levers and protectors

That's about right.

I use levers which isn't so bad - it really depends on the tyres though. Thin walled track tyres such as super corsas slip straight on but road tyres like the PR4 are a bast*rd because they're so thick on the side walls.

I've seen the cable tie method before and it looks like a very hard way to do it. The guy in the vid cut a lot out - I wonder how long it was uncut!

I keep meaning to make up a tyre changer... One of these days!

Personally, I wouldn't go down this route. I'm no expert on tyre construction but I do know that if the cords/wires giving strength and rigidity are compromised the resulting tyre failure could be catastrophic. Just seeing the weird shapes of the sidewalls with cable ties on makes me cringe

If you search Matt Hudson or The Workshop on YouTube he did a video about this and explains why it's a bad idea.

I'm in favour of diy to keep costs down, but only if I have suitable tools to do a proper, safe job.

Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to have a tyre fitted n balanced professionally ?

Edited by winston smith

If your doing track days and changing tyres regular then yeh have a go yourself .

But a road bike, what is it a extra £20 for the tyre supplier to fit em ? that’ll do me .

I don't recall it being that difficult to get the tyre on without cable ties. Getting the old tyre off in the first place is the hard bit. I always do my own as it takes less time to do that riding to a place I trust. I've never found a place that'll fit a pair for £20 unless you take the wheels off for them and then you're more or less halfway there anyway.

I don't recall it being that difficult to get the tyre on without cable ties. Getting the old tyre off in the first place is the hard bit. I always do my own as it takes less time to do that riding to a place I trust. I've never found a place that'll fit a pair for £20 unless you take the wheels off for them and then you're more or less halfway there anyway.

I did mean per tyre :thumb:

If your doing track days and changing tyres regular then yeh have a go yourself .

But a road bike, what is it a extra £20 for the tyre supplier to fit em ? that’ll do me .

140 quid for my machine and 30 quid for my balancer and they have earnt me over 100 quid in jobs and changed over 10 pairs for myself!

Mines paid for itself :lol:

140 quid for my machine and 30 quid for my balancer and they have earnt me over 100 quid in jobs and changed over 10 pairs for myself!

As a matter of interest what kind of balancer do you use? I was in the pits at Oulton Park for the last Superbike meeting and was watching how they balance wheels with literally no equipment other than a free rolling shaft. They made it look incredibly simple to do.

As a matter of interest what kind of balancer do you use? I was in the pits at Oulton Park for the last Superbike meeting and was watching how they balance wheels with literally no equipment other than a free rolling shaft. They made it look incredibly simple to do.

I dunno what Stu uses but I've got something like this although I use just the shaft and cones on my BeeGee stand.

It's a piece of piss to use - if you get one try and get lead weights as steel ones are huge, ugly and shite.

It works fine and I've tested wheels balanced on it to over 160 mph. :thumb:

Thats pretty much it

I have one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/383212808170?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=383212808170&targetid=594043213150&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046254&poi=&campaignid=6466403028&mkgroupid=78240852180&rlsatarget=aud-629407025025:pla-594043213150&abcId=1140486&merchantid=138347988&gclid=CjwKCAjwxt_tBRAXEiwAENY8hR6cyTA-iyKkNqSB9efKHj6eehCKZQ82_h_fo0jjoXdJ3BPk3jVOQRoCzFkQAvD_BwE