honda xlr 125

bikerbaff

hi all

right well the time has come where i can now go out and buy a bike and i really would like a honda xlr or dt 125

but i really want the xlr honda 125 so now then im saying sod the cbt l-plates restrictions crap(being restricated from mods)

so i want to do a few mods to make the bike go quicker than 55-60mph thats its currently doing, want around 80ish from it if not more :evil: so what can i do? eg bigger carbs bigger exhaust pipe to a micron or scorpion end can? (would like!) but anyone any idea's?

oh and btw its going to be my daily hack and would like to use it off road ever now n again(once a month if that) and theres little chance of me getting pulled where i live.

Rob

well, if you really wanted to (although it's illegal as you're restricted to a certain bhp assuming you're in the UK and assuming these mods would take you over that limit) you could put on a free flowing air filter and exhaust pipe. If you had carbs these would then need to be rejetted so as to keep an appropriate a/f ratio, but if it's FI then you'll need a remap. Doing these will increase your fuel consumption as well. Also would be wise to have this all set up and tuned on a good dyno.

I'm guessing you could also change the cogs to alter your top speed, but you would lose out on acceleration.

Ummm after that then i reckon port and polish the cylinder head. I don't think bigger carbs is necessarily the way to go, you'll end up with a bike that runs crap at low rpms.

And after that, well then i guess it'll be new cam profiles, but then you'll have to mess around with the ignition timing as well.

But is it all really worth it for a 125? Even if you gain and extra 20% bhp then that'll only be an extra 3bhp (ish). It really doesn't seem worth while, save the money, do your test and buy a bigger bike would be a better option :)

hhmm fair ammount of work for a 500 quid bike tbh that so rd125 i want something thats pretty quick that i can mod( and yeah im from uk (wakefield) west yorks, but im not fussed on it being illegal :lol:

hhmm so whats the quickest from these bikes then?

old 80's rd 125 lc

80's rg125 gamma

af1 aprilia

rs125 aprilia

tzr 125

nsr125 (old style like rothmans)

cagiva mito

i just want something quick as ive wanted a car scince i was young but cant due to money and jobs so i want a quick bike instead and im going to be doing my bike test when ive got some use out of the 125 1st :D

rob

Aprilia RS 125 -- derestricted it is capable of 100+ mph, although fuel consumption is crap and reliability can be a problem.

Insane acceleration at 7k rpm though, so its not all bad :shock:

If you are on 'L' plates Rob, remember you are subject to the law, and its restrictions.

The site does not endorse or condone any activity which is illegal.

I would like to remind all members that this is a public forum and as such is on view to anyone. Posting activities which are illegal may result in the moderation team pulling the thread or your posts.

As previously posted, the site has a duty of care to its members and will not support or endorse illegal behaviour.

Please also be aware that in posting such items you leave yourself wide open to litigation.

Willow

:stupid: I'm with Willow and Dan.

you mention off roaders then post a list of road bikes????

do you test and get a Kwak 200 or suzi Xt350

if you want an on/off road 125 then i'd suggest you try kawasaki and the KMX/KDX125.

All I will suggest is get your test done then rejet the carb, proper airfilter, a good Arrow exhaust and bigger sprockets.

Sprockets for improved cruising and maybe a tad bit more top speed...

As I said... only when you have done your test..

If you want some power i think you should consider buying an old NSR125 (might just be able to find one old enough for you to afford it, but do be careful not to buy a thoroughly trashed one). If you do, expect the (potentially major) possible 2-stroke problems though, especially likely if you thrash it around and for certain if you don't look after it properly. You simply aren't going to get power from a 4-stroke 125 very easily (and if you do mod them up you will only hurt reliability - may as well get a 2-stroke in the first place!)

Then pass your test (not as hard as it sounds - see if there's any charities in your area that do motorcycle training/lessons - they charge next to naff all for it you see).

Then derestrict the bike to enjoy some nice power.

In that order!

hhmm fair ammount of work for a 500 quid bike tbh that so rd125 i want something thats pretty quick that i can mod( and yeah im from uk (wakefield) west yorks, but im not fussed on it being illegal :lol:

hhmm so whats the quickest from these bikes then?

old 80's rd 125 lc

80's rg125 gamma

af1 aprilia

rs125 aprilia

tzr 125

nsr125 (old style like rothmans)

cagiva mito

i just want something quick as ive wanted a car scince i was young but cant due to money and jobs so i want a quick bike instead and im going to be doing my bike test when ive got some use out of the 125 1st :D

rob

I had an '87 RG 125 and with a few subtle mods (that didnt cost the earth) gave it a (police verified) 107MPH top speed and got there bloody quickly..

NSR's are EASY to mod too and give GOOD results, and the mods are actually FREE ;-)

TZR possibly easy mods but costly (playing with the power valve etc), but again, good returns..

• 10 years later...

Hi all, I have an xlr 125. Ive got a 190cc big bore, and a racing carb with a bigger jet and let's in more air. It tops out at about 70-75 mph. However I still want to get more power out of this as I'm sure I can just for fun. Does anyone know if putting an xlr 185 camshaft would give me more power. Or maybe other Xlr 185 parts? Cheers.

To put it bluntly , you're supposed to go slow when you don't have any experience so that hopefully if you crash you aren't going fast enough to get killed . A planned emergency stop in the CBT is rather different to having a car pull out in you when you're hurtling along at 80 mph . And what makes you think that the tyres and brakes on a 125 are up to the job ? Not a good idea .

Hi all, I have an xlr 125. Ive got a 190cc big bore, and a racing carb with a bigger jet and let's in more air. It tops out at about 70-75 mph. However I still want to get more power out of this as I'm sure I can just for fun. Does anyone know if putting an xlr 185 camshaft would give me more power. Or maybe other Xlr 185 parts? Cheers.

Yeah , like an XLR 185 engine . Why don't you guys just get your license and get bigger bikes ?

Do you want to know why the Government changed the size of bike a learner could ride on L plates from 250cc to 125cc ? Well appart from too many grieving mothers, here's the reason . Pay a deposit and ride off at 106 mph with no training .

PhotoEditor_20191103_163253797.thumb.jpg.28448aeb5257bf746b0310abb3e7ddc5.jpg

Edited by fastbob

when I was 17 I had a Honda 125s and I had it modified with different profiled pistons, skimmed some off the cylinder head, inlet and outlet manifolds polished and gas-flowed and ultimately gained an extra 12hp.

I took the bike onto a well known, (to me), road just to see what it was capable of, and ended up shutting down and riding home at a more sedate pace.

the original top speed was a indicated 88-90mph but after the mods it reached that speed at about 1/2 throttle and by the time I passed maximum indicated speed on the speedo I was hitting a ton plus and then steering wobble hit me. the tyres were Avon road runners, but were they were only rated to 90mph, nobody made tyres in the size I needed to reach max speed. In the end I managed to crash the bike at a later date by coming off on black ice, and never found out the true potential of it

Do you want to know why the Government changed the size of bike a learner could ride on L plates from 250cc to 125cc ? Well appart from too many grieving mother's , here's the reason . Pay a deposit and ride off at 106 mph with no training .

yea and i had the 350 and that was rapid

If you want a bike that will do 70-80mph without messing about with mods why dont you have a look at a Yamaha Mt125. Its a 4 stroke 125 i have owned one coming up a year and mine will easy do 80 no issues.

Re whats being said about Aprilia rs125's i owned a two stroke rs 125 in the past. It was a great bike for performance but was absolutely horrendous for reliability. Mine was bought and was destricted when i got it and i was alot lighter then but it would easily do 95-100. Personally i would avoid Aprilia's unless you have a mate whose a mechanic lol