Has everyoen stopped commuting for the winter?

Pbassred

The NHS really, really needs the money.

You're right there matey! Shame it's all wasted on all the leaches that suck the NHS dry and bugger all makes it to the wards.

The NHS will be lucky if they see as much as 5% of the money go to where it should taken from the parking charges, the fat cats get fatter every day :lol:

Edited by dynax

They charge you to park in hospitals now Fro? :shock:

They have charged for a long time in the UK. We spent a fortune when my mum was going through Chemo.

Walsgrave Hospital Coventry , and this is from 2016 ! Bloody criminal .

I was unfortunate enough to spend a month in Kings Hospital London a few years ago, parking for visitors was £2.00 an hour!

I commute year round in my bike. I do work for NHS, but I haven't received a parking permit even tough I live 14 miles away from work, and I have to do on calls, which means sometimes I leave work at midnight, which means no reliabe buses...they expect me to take the bus 2 hours one way, no discount, nothing. Not gonna happen.

And they will fine you when the parking managers say so. They will raid the staff carpark and nick people without permits or with expired permits. Shameful.

Rant over.

Oh well, I tried but you are determined to make this a thread about the NHS, maybe the OP should change the title :oops:

But one of my main commutes is to local hospitals, mainly due to parking restrictions at hospitals. So the decision to commute by motorcycle during the winter is related to the various parking policies of NHS trusts. My last post gave me designated secure motorcycle parking for free at the hospital.

When I visit my parents I need to cross the new Mersey Gateway bridge which charges £2 each way if I go by car. Motorcycles are free so I nearly always use one of the bikes. I went yesterday so that was an 80 mile round trip. With winter gear I was toasty the whole way. I don't use heated grips so the 40 mile trip one way is just about as far I get with thick gloves when it's icy.

Fair weather rider, but I don’t commute to go to work so I don’t know what will be if I would have to.

Generally I don’t mind hot or cold, that’s ok. I just hate to ride while raining, I don’t like wet roads neither.

Fortunately for me I ride just for pleasure so I can choose

I'm hoping for dry weather for the next week at least. Picking up my new bike tomorrow :D

I don't mind too much if it rains on the way home, but I hate arriving at work dripping and having nowhere to dry gear.

I commute through the winter because there's basically no choice (buses just don't go that way) but now I don't even have to put up with the special pain of frozen fingers because I've got some heated gloves. It should be pretty easy from here on.

I commute through the winter because there's basically no choice (buses just don't go that way) but now I don't even have to put up with the special pain of frozen fingers because I've got some heated gloves. It should be pretty easy from here on.

speaking of gloves, i need to get me some better winter gloves, and heated grips.

speaking of gloves, i need to get me some better winter gloves, and heated grips.

My bike came with heated grips.. They stopped working just before the cold hit :?

• 2 weeks later...

Nope I did the opposite, got out of the car and back on the bike for winter :lol: hadn’t ridden since June and got back on in October for the commute

Partly because my mileage changed and partly because the summer riders have gone which makes the commute more enjoyable

I still commute to work but I have definitely seen less bikes at the parking bay where I park up in the morning and same goes for when I walk by it in the afternoons, guess all my local bikers aren't very local so don't want to risk it during Winter, it is bloody freezing in the mornings plus days when it rains so can't blame them.

got absolutely soaked through this morning. My oxford montreal gear is just no longer waterproof, work shirt was soaked round my stomach and right arm, boxers were soaked. I had to stand in the disabled toilet with them under the hand dryer to get them reasonably dry. The annoying thing is it was dry when i left the house, if it wasn't i would have put my waterproof over coat and over pants on.