Chain cleaner alternatives?

Phill

Hello, i'm getting frustrated in regards of using the normal aerosol chain cleaners, they seem to last only for 3-4 cleans, and owning 2 bikes which are being used constantly i get through a can every month, or even sooner, and they're not cheap!

Are there any other cheaper alternatives? :crybaby:

Hello, i'm getting frustrated in regards of using the normal aerosol chain cleaners, they seem to last only for 3-4 cleans, and owning 2 bikes which are being used constantly i get through a can every month, or even sooner, and they're not cheap!

Are there any other cheaper alternatives? :crybaby:

Paraffin, cheap as chips and does a better job than gimmicky aerosol cleaners.

What does 20L of premium-label paraffin cost?

Kero.jpg

£22.50 by the look of it . It's the same thing . It's a bit like comparing Gasoline to Petrol .

What does 20L of premium-label paraffin cost?

Kero.jpg

£22.50 by the look of it . It's the same thing . It's a bit like comparing Gasoline to Petrol .

he is showing how cheap you can get it!

But asking what you pay in the shop!

its £8 for 4 litres in b&q so £2 a litre obviously what [mention]Guest[/mention] has found is way cheaper

Bit daft buying 20L when a 4L jug will last years. especially if you re-use it.

Clean the chain over a tray and catch the drips, pour the waste into a jar and overnight it settles out, black gunk at the bottom and clear paraffin above, pour the clean stuff back into the jug and dispose of the gunk. simple.

Bit daft buying 20L when a 4L jug will last years. especially if you re-use it.

Clean the chain over a tray and catch the drips, pour the waste into a jar and overnight it settles out, black gunk at the bottom and clear paraffin above, pour the clean stuff back into the jug and dispose of the gunk. simple.

Exactly like a parts washer .

I have to say I've not cleaned a chain for years! I only ever paint oil on with a 1" paintbrush, making sure the o or x rings get some, and the inside of the run for contact with the sprockets. I assume the dirt gets flung off all over the back wheel, which I then clean off with Pledge! I've never had a chain wear out on me, so I can only assume my maintenance procedures are ok!

Mind you, I don't take my bikes on the dirt, purely road use.

I've got a Scottoiler sitting in my attic which came off my SV1000. Scottoilers are great when you get the flow rate right, leaving the chain slick and glossy without any fling off. Then the temperature changes and you're fiddling around with either too much oil, or your chain goes dry. Great for a long run in the rain, but too much messing about for day to day, all year use in my opinion. They need some sort of temperature compensation to make up for changes in viscosity (in my opinion)!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Scottoiler sitting in my attic ..... Scottoilers are great when you get the flow rate right, leaving the chain slick and glossy without any fling off. Then the temperature changes and you're fiddling around with either too much oil, or your chain goes dry. Great for a long run in the rain, but too much messing about for day to day, all year use in my opinion. They need some sort of temperature compensation to make up for changes in viscosity (in my opinion)!

I could never get the flow rate consistent either :?

Buying a shaft drive bike solved the problem (at enormous expense !!)