Chain Oil

Daytona79

Right , here we go . 50% Aliphatic hydrocarbons . 25% light mineral oil , 25% other stuff including propellant . So what is an Aliphatic hydrocarbon ? It's a SOLVENT and that is why WD40 will dissolve and WASH away heavier oils thus leaving the chain unlubricated. The residual light oil may well keep corrosion at bay but it is a far cry from the 10w40 or Gear Oil that manufacturers recommend . So it is not a chain lubricant .

Screenshot_20191114-201917.thumb.png.2330f014f89f09e4efade7eb5047238a.png

Edited by fastbob

The original WD40 is not suitable for lubricating motorcycle chains is all I'm saying .

Got any substantial evidence to support the proclamation?

303.gif

Yes .

The original WD40 is not suitable for lubricating motorcycle chains is all I'm saying .

Got any substantial evidence to support the proclamation?

303.gif

Have you got any to say that its fine to use as a lubricant?

seals do not stop oil and grease coming out of a chain they just help

I have pulled apart many chains and if you get a dry one then the pins are bone dry inside with no oil/grease this is how a chain stretches the pins wear as do the inners of the links! lack of oil/grease causes them to wear.

The solvents in WD40 are thin enough to get past seals especially once you start moving the solvents do indeed wash away grease and oils leaving a very thin film of very very light oil/residue this is no way good enough to protect anything

A mate of mine used to make WD40 and knows exactly what goes in to it! even he knows not to use it for lubricant and he is a bit dim

It's normally best to listen to the manufacturers and i think its safe to say that D.I.D. know a thing or two about their chains and how they should be maintained. On the back of the box they keep it simple.

And as I've already suggested in this thread. They recommend you clean the chain with Kerosene (parrafin) and lubricate it with SAE 80W-90 (gear oil)

1753240528_ScreenShot2019-11-14at20_55_17.thumb.png.10bf2d9e281e9e5798620321d7fb9bf4.png

Hi i was just wanting to ask the looney winter riders like me what chain oil they use through the winter. The weather being yuk i feel like i am fighting a losing battle with wet weather and a rust on my chain.

Can i use a mountain bike chain lube on my motorbike chain??

To get back on topic, as a certified card carrying winter-riding loon I use whatever I can get and plenty of it because the rain will just wash it all off again anyway. Fording the floods right now is very good at washing it all off..

The best advice I can give is to not let the chain sit still for too long if it's unlubed. This can let rust form on the side plates which will then tear the seals to shreds and then you're on borrowed time with a stringy quick-wear chain to boot. Also if you use lots of lube then you'll keep a decent cushion between the rollers and the sprockets which will slow down the wear rate of the sprockets and allow you longer intervals between having to roll around on the cold wet ground trying to tighten the chain with stone cold spanners.

It's normally best to listen to the manufacturers and i think its safe to say that D.I.D. know a thing or two about their chains and how they should be maintained. On the back of the box they keep it simple.

And as I've already suggested in this thread. They recommend you clean the chain with Kerosene (parrafin) and lubricate it with SAE 80W-90 (gear oil)

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 20.55.17.png

REALLY...... So it’s in their best interests to make your chain last longer is it ?? 🤣🤣

Reminds me of when I used to work in a back street garage. We had a bloke who insisted that Duckhams 20W/50 was vegetable oil because it was green. So being a smartarse he proceeded to do an oil change using vegetable oil.

It did not end well.....

OK Boomers. Just use gear oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

Who the flying f**k is this prick ? And what in the name of sanity is a Boomer ? EDIT .... Ok , once I got over the guy's irritating presentation style I managed to watch the whole thing and it was a good piece of research . On O ring chain you only need to oil the rollers and anything else is corrosion protection . Yep , that's all I've ever done . I probably should have steered clear of sticky chain lube in favour of heavy oil and I did use WD40 as a cleaner and not a lubricant .

Edited by fastbob

Us old farts, often referred to as gammons or boomers by snowflakes. Personally I don't give a toss what people call me but I find a degrease / clean of my chain followed by either a proper chain lube or grease keeps it in good nick. As to the rest of the bull sh-t crack on. IMO Gerontious pretty well has it covered.l don't use gear oil but do use a designed chain lube- either Wurth or Muc-Off.

A boomer is an aircraft which assists other aircraft to keep flying by transferring fuel via a boom. The boom operator is referred to as the boomer but the name is generically applied to those crews who enable others to keep flying.

So if by boomer we are referring to the experience and wisdom passed to others that enables them to keep their motorcycles running well then it's fair enough.

A boomer is an aircraft which assists other aircraft to keep flying by transferring fuel via a boom. The boom operator is referred to as the boomer but the name is generically applied to those crews who enable others to keep flying.

So if by boomer we are referring to the experience and wisdom passed to others that enables them to keep their motorcycles running well then it's fair enough.

Dug us old buggers out of a hole there MB :wink:

Reminds me of when I used to work in a back street garage. We had a bloke who insisted that Duckhams 20W/50 was vegetable oil because it was green. So being a smartarse he proceeded to do an oil change using vegetable oil.

It did not end well.....

That engine has had it's chips . 😁

I'm sure @JRH expected this :thumb:

Untitled-7.jpg

thinking of changing the oil for WD40 :popcorn:

I was surprised it took this long for the shaft drive card to be played. :lol:

I'm sure @JRH expected this :thumb:

Untitled-7.jpg

thinking of changing the oil for WD40 :popcorn:

I was surprised it took this long for the shaft drive card to be played. :lol:

I'm tying to hold out a bit longer before being smug :mrgreen:

It did not end well.....

That engine has had it's chips . 😁

i used to know a bike mechanic who always reckoned that if you want to sprag a bike engine up you put duckhams oil in it

Some one who refers to others as Boomers..... They like to press wild flowers , stroke small puppy dogs, often play with girls dolls and enjoy rubbing Brasso on to male relatives bottoms .

and its no surprise they are experts in the art of using lubricants .