Bike died please help!

Ktmguy89

Morning all. I got on the bike this morning and it started fine everything was normal. I rode about 100 yards then I heard a quiet pop and the engine cut out. I turned the bike off then on again and tried to start it and now all I get when I press the ignition is a whirring. I'm fairly mechanically inept but it sounds like the starter motor is fine due to the whirring, but the engine won't fire. I'm wondering if its spark plug problem but I have no idea what that would sound like or if there is other things to check and how I might do that. Please help its a ktm duke 125. I have listened to what a seized engine would sound like and I'm 99% sure it isn't that. Oil level and collant levels are both fine.

Rightyho, not sure where your relay is, but wont be far away from the battery so look under the seat, your looking for a component like the picture below, what you will need to do is (with ignition on) place an insulated screwdriver between the 2 bolts on top , be ready for a surprise beacause there will be sparks flying, but the engine should turn over, keep your hands away from the screwdriver shaft or you might get a jolt, hold it there only for a second or you will weld it on :wink:

924023426_KTMstarterrelay.thumb.JPG.48a3e8bb5d07bc4d5ad3e93eebca649b.JPG

Just check it hasn't spat the spark plug out. I've seen it happen, it makes a pop as the plug is blown out, then it spins over very happily because there's no compression.

Depends how loud the pop was.

Best theory so far , not good news though .

Just firstly want to say thank you all for your advice bike is in the garage I'll know the full extent of the damage tomorrow but sounds like (I have probably got this a bit wrong but I'll try to explain the best I can) the piston jumped up snapped the cam? Chain and the flicked that round bashing the engine. It was done at low speed so hopefully damage is minimal but like I said will find out tomorrow. Mechanic reckons it could be terminal for the engine. Just to throw this out there. Reckon I could somehow claim this on insurance?

Sorry, no idea of the spec of the engine but usually if it happened at slower rpm you’ll bend the valves without damaging the piston or con rod. Still a fair bit of work which can make a replacement engine more cost effective. Many mechanics prefer the latter to save them any comeback on doing the rebuild work.

Ask carefully before deciding which route to take. If the engine is scrap you’ve little to lose by taking it bits yourself. The only tricky bit is setting the timing back up properly. The rest is spanner work.

I believe on some of these the tensioner can be an issue which usually causes a noise before you get total failure. The alternative is that the camshaft itself has snapped, it’s not totally clear from what you’ve said.