1997 ER 500 restoration

Hi all, I put away this bike in a shipping container around 2002/3

I rode it a couple of miles and decided to ride it again one day when I passed my test and could ride it legally.

Work and other things came first so it has never seen daylight until this week.

It has a full fairing, twin lights and has done 48500 miles in black paint.

I have stripped off the seat and bodywork and am going to take off the carbs as they are seized and will need cleaning.

I put a battery on yesterday and couldn't believe everything worked lights indicators and starter.

The engine turns over but only has good compression on one cylinder, I am hoping this will come back after it has run for a while. Will add pics if I can figure out how to get them off my dropbox, I have a file called bike on there but

when I open dropbox from this forum it's not showing so will be back shortly. John.

bike1.thumb.jpeg.07541267ddba8cc271ed1f6f5084142e.jpegbike2.thumb.jpeg.5a93a762284b7b977ea094667e3cb90a.jpegbike3.thumb.jpeg.e3654d6589baeddb198282949e1085fb.jpeg

She needs some TLC from her long hibernation.

The lack of compression on one cylinder may well be stuck rings, try putting a little 2 or 3 grams of Reddex down the plughole and leave it for a week. before trying to start take the plugs out and crank it over to blow out any excess reddex (you do not want to hydraulic it, thats compressing a liquid in a confined space. That can cause major damage)

Then crank it over with your finger in the plughole of each cylinder to get a comparison for compression.

When I bought a spare engine to play with , the only thing I could find wrong with it was broken and gummed up rings on one piston . So maybe ER5s are a bit prone to this . A new set of rings and a light hone wouldn't do any harm on a high mileage bike anyway . If you need a spare engine , I've got one I don't need . Better hurry before it's reclaimed by the jungle .

IMG_20191017_172434892.thumb.jpg.cb8c1dcc46fbf2b290ba4c068bf990b0.jpg

When I bought a spare engine to play with , the only thing I could find wrong with it was broken and gummed up rings on one piston . So maybe ER5s are a bit prone to this . A new set of rings and a light hone wouldn't do any harm on a high mileage bike anyway . If you need a spare engine , I've got one I don't need . Better hurry before it's reclaimed by the jungle .

Thanks for the offer of the engine will keep it in mind but hope I don't need it :D

I've taken off the carbs and am now trying to free them off, I have a couple of carb kits coming but the screws holding the float bowls are seized.

I am drilling the heads off them then hopefully they should come out with a good set of grips. john

All machine screw heads drilled off and float chambers removed then seized screw stubbs unscrewed with mole grips.

Waiting for parts now so took out the plugs and found a good spark.

I then drained the oil and took out four ltrs !!!

It's a good thing I ordered a petrol tap and carb float valves.

I can't believe just how good the Michelin tyres are, they have been standing all these years and still look like new, no cracks or perishing

nothing, they look like two year old tyres.

Will keep updating as I go, tell me if I'm posting trivia and if I should wait until I get something more meaty to post. john.

All machine screw heads drilled off and float chambers removed then seized screw stubbs unscrewed with mole grips.

Waiting for parts now so took out the plugs and found a good spark.

I then drained the oil and took out four ltrs !!!

It's a good thing I ordered a petrol tap and carb float valves.

I can't believe just how good the Michelin tyres are, they have been standing all these years and still look like new, no cracks or perishing

nothing, they look like two year old tyres.

Will keep updating as I go, tell me if I'm posting trivia and if I should wait until I get something more meaty to post. john.

Stick everything up mate, some of us saddos like that kind of stuff. :-)

• 1 month later...

Had some time off the ER5 what with Christmas and new year, cutting up wood, shopping, turning lazy and buying a 2003 12000 miles Yamaha 600 Fazer :D

Bought it with a split headlight cowl, broken indicator, and front brake lever.

Ive just finished the jobs today and took her out for a test run. This is the first big bike

ive ridden since passing my test last September and must admit its like starting out all over again.

Most of last years riding experience has disappeared, I have no confidence cornering, feeling pissed off

if I am honest. I am hoping it all comes back this spring with a few more miles under my belt.

As a new rider I must say this bike is awesome, I can't see me needing anything better, newer,

or faster.

The clutch and front brake levers seem to be set too steep, I have to reach over the bars to get to them.

They seem to be in the right place and look very original with nothing bent it looks like the last owner was riding

the bike like that. I'm going to rotate the bars back towards me in the morning and see how we go.

The bike has been down the road but has sustained very little damage.

Will be back on the ER5 soon with more pics and progress.

Had some time off the ER5 what with Christmas and new year, cutting up wood, shopping, turning lazy and buying a 2003 12000 miles Yamaha 600 Fazer :D

Bought it with a split headlight cowl, broken indicator, and front brake lever.

Ive just finished the jobs today and took her out for a test run. This is the first big bike

ive ridden since passing my test last September and must admit its like starting out all over again.

Most of last years riding experience has disappeared, I have no confidence cornering, feeling pissed off

if I am honest. I am hoping it all comes back this spring with a few more miles under my belt.

As a new rider I must say this bike is awesome, I can't see me needing anything better, newer,

or faster.

The clutch and front brake levers seem to be set too steep, I have to reach over the bars to get to them.

They seem to be in the right place and look very original with nothing bent it looks like the last owner was riding

the bike like that. I'm going to rotate the bars back towards me in the morning and see how we go.

The bike has been down the road but has sustained very little damage.

Will be back on the ER5 soon with more pics and progress.

I think maybe you are half man half magpie!

I'm hoping one I get my huge man shed in the garden to do much tinkering in there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Back on the er500. Ive put the carbs back together and fitted them. I have only one cylinder firing unless I cover the carb inlet with my fingers and make the mixture richer then it runs on two. It bogs down when I try to rev the engine and seems to be running too lean. I have checked both carb float levels, changed the coil packs around and fitted new plugs still the same. New carb gaskets and float valves fitted, all jets removed and cleaned and new air filter, it makes no difference to the running if I fit the airbox or not.

I cant see any evidence of any split carb diaphragms or split hoses anywhere. I have done a compression test and see the cylinder that is miss firing is down a bit, its 100psi compared to the other at 112psi on starter cranking speed. The old bike isnt worth much when I get her finished and painted and to be honest the amount of more important jobs I have to do you wouldn't believe. Its only the fact that I dont like to give up on anything that stops me from breaking her for spares. Any ideas anybody? john

Edited by fifthwheel

If the dead cylinder runs when you force it rich it must be a problem in the carb. When you cleaned the jets did you spray carb cleaner through the circuits in the carb body to check that they're all clear? The jets can be clean but the circuits are still blocked.

If the dead cylinder runs when you force it rich it must be a problem in the carb. When you cleaned the jets did you spray carb cleaner through the circuits in the carb body to check that they're all clear? The jets can be clean but the circuits are still blocked.

I must be getting even more stupid in my old age, I have to say I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the reply.

No I cant get the engine to run well enough to balance the carbs. I am going to tear them off

again and give them a deep clean then balance.

You can get a rough balance with them off the bike.

All you do is use a shank end of a small drill bit to ensure the butterflies are open the same amount.

Back on the er500. Ive put the carbs back together and fitted them. I have only one cylinder firing unless I cover the carb inlet with my fingers and make the mixture richer then it runs on two. It bogs down when I try to rev the engine and seems to be running too lean. I have checked both carb float levels, changed the coil packs around and fitted new plugs still the same. New carb gaskets and float valves fitted, all jets removed and cleaned and new air filter, it makes no difference to the running if I fit the airbox or not.

I cant see any evidence of any split carb diaphragms or split hoses anywhere. I have done a compression test and see the cylinder that is miss firing is down a bit, its 100psi compared to the other at 112psi on starter cranking speed. The old bike isnt worth much when I get her finished and painted and to be honest the amount of more important jobs I have to do you wouldn't believe. Its only the fact that I dont like to give up on anything that stops me from breaking her for spares. Any ideas anybody? john

Sorry for the delay , I was on holiday with no WiFi . I'll bet the dead cylinder is because of too high a fuel level caused by a stuck float valve . This issue it practically universal on ER5s . A quick fix that sometimes works is to drain the carbs and give them a good thumping with a rubber hammer as they are filling up again .

Thanks all, I have taken the carbs off today and checked for blockages in the galleries, all seems ok. I have made up a solution of washing up liquid, washing powder, and a bio sachet. Set a steel container on a Coleman stove and nearly boiled the water for a good 20 mins with the carbs immersed.

Leaving them in the potion all night then clean with clean water and compressed air in the morning.

I synchronised the carbs as near as I could before fitting them to the bike, they look as close to perfect as I can get as this time.

Will report back tomorrow but to be honest I dont think ive done any good at all with the cleaning, I haven't found anything

to stop the bike running correctly.

The floats and valves are set ok the floats measure 17mm and are not sticking.

If the cleaning does not help tomorrow I will be putting it back in the container and will chalk fu*k on it. I will have to get on with more

important things. Thanks john.

Bit more done today, I found the idle jet of number one carb had something blocking it, I must still have dirt in the system.

cleaned everything as best I could and now have the engine running sweet on both cylinders.

I have put the airbox back on with the new filter but still short of fuel and will stop after 3500 revs

if I let go the throttle when it bogs down it will come back to a sweet tickover.

The float height is set at 17mm with the carbs off the engine at 45deg

Does this sound like a float height issue, are they closing too soon and starving the engine of fuel?

Thanks all, I have taken the carbs off today and checked for blockages in the galleries, all seems ok. I have made up a solution of washing up liquid, washing powder, and a bio sachet. Set a steel container on a Coleman stove and nearly boiled the water for a good 20 mins with the carbs immersed.

Leaving them in the potion all night then clean with clean water and compressed air in the morning.

I synchronised the carbs as near as I could before fitting them to the bike, they look as close to perfect as I can get as this time.

Will report back tomorrow but to be honest I dont think ive done any good at all with the cleaning, I haven't found anything

to stop the bike running correctly.

The floats and valves are set ok the floats measure 17mm and are not sticking.

If the cleaning does not help tomorrow I will be putting it back in the container and will chalk fu*k on it. I will have to get on with more

important things. Thanks john.

I'll have it ! I really want another ER5 .

Ive just typed a load of text and some how lost the bloody lot.

Ive looked at both carbs with the air box off and cant see the needles being lifted by the diaphragms when I slowly rev the bike. If I blip the throttle hard both needles lift a few mm but not really enough for the engine to run on the main jets.

It looks to me as if the engine never gets onto the main jets and is running on the idle jets.

It makes no difference if I put the airbox on or leave it off.