Any spider experts on here?

Mack01

Good afternoon folks. I went for a ride this afternoon and when uncovering the bike this little lady fell out. I say little but she was the biggest spider I've seen in a very long time. I also say lady because I can't see any obvious spurs on her.

Anyway, Her body (not including legs) was just over an inch long and about 3/4 inch wide. Yep, bloody big. Her hair is extremely fine, to the point of being almost unnoticeable. The picture doesn't do her colour justice at all. She has a strikingly Lilac abdomen (or light purple) with a darker purple thorax and black parts to her legs.

I only know enough to recognise most house and garden varieties and am happy to pick them up. This one, however, was a big no no. Didn't recognise, big, fast.

Any help? Cheers 8-)

20191124_125621.thumb.jpg.14e27438f32c91925bb390f0e040288e.jpg

Looks like a friend has found out what it was..... Stone Spider (Drassodes cupreus / Drassodes lapiidosus). Pictures look very similar and the description matches. Also appears to be a female according to one website on spiders habitats.

Yay cheers folks.

If it's over an inch long it'd be a bloody big Drassodes! :shock:

Are you sure it's not one of the tube-dwelling spiders? They are superficially similar, but are big enough to make you jump! Their front three pairs of legs are also forward set (rather than two forward, two back) as in your specimen.

IMG_1712.thumb.JPG.a8ba4bd92d33266d03ef66931d70752d.JPG

For a definitive determination you'll have to go back outside and annoy it: they're one of the few UK spiders with a painful bite. :D

Give me snakes any day of the week over spiders

I like both! I'm taking my kids off to Minsmere on an adder hunt in February half-term. I hadn't appreciated that they were active as early in the year as that, but the guys we were talking to over the summer said it was one of the best times to see them.

Guest Richzx6r

Are you sure it's not one of the tube-dwelling spiders? They are superficially similar, but are big enough to make you jump! Their front three pairs of legs are also forward set (rather than two forward, two back) as in your specimen.

IMG_1712.JPG

For a definitive determination you'll have to go back outside and annoy it: they're one of the few UK spiders with a painful bite. :D

That looks like a pretty naughty bugger

IMG_1712.JPG

Nice one Mark, I'd like to say that I exaggerated the size but I didn't. It really was a big beastie. Your picture looks pretty much spot on. What sort of tube-dweller is that? The only ones I've seen are slim and very black. I have two living in the flat, one in the drainage hole of the bathroom window and another in a gap between the wall and a cupboard. I did have one briefly living in my door keyhole (deadlock type) but my key sadly mangled that one.

Nice one Mark, I'd like to say that I exaggerated the size but I didn't. It really was a big beastie. Your picture looks pretty much spot on. What sort of tube-dweller is that? The only ones I've seen are slim and very black. I have two living in the flat, one in the drainage hole of the bathroom window and another in a gap between the wall and a cupboard. I did have one briefly living in my door keyhole (deadlock type) but my key sadly mangled that one.

That's a female Segestria florentina. The males are usually a bit smaller, and often have abdominal markings which the females don't. The jaws are a vivid metallic green, although you need to get close to see! I spent a very enjoyable few days down south last year, enticing them out of holes with a bit of fishing line. They're not exactly timid... :shock:

That's great, cheers Mark. They have amazing fangs, very green. Wish I had kept her for a while just to get a good look at her. What were you enticing them with? Babies? small children? :shock:

Next one I find I'm going to have a good look at, there are plenty round here in gaps and crevices.