New bike worries

pinheadplanet

I recently bought a 2012 GSX1250FA and there's a couple of things other owners may advise me on:

1) The fan comes on pretty quick even in this November weather, is that right?

2) There's a burning smell, rubber or plastic. The shop told me it may just be a protective coating that's been applied to the bike. Anyone got any experience of this happening?

Unfortunately I can't take it back to the shop as it was an online purchase, they're miles away.

Cheers

[mention]pinheadplanet[/mention] i have a 2008 model GSF1250. My fan will come in when I’m stopped, but your model has the full fairing I believe so that may cause the fan to operate more. But more importantly does the over temp light come on. If not the fan is doing its job.

As regards the smell the only time mine stinks is after an oil change, oil on the down pipes, or after I have used the AFC50. Neither of these are rubber or plastic smells.

Check the exhaust system to make sure it’s not touching anything likewise the engine and radiator.

As six30 says you are covered by distance selling.

Buying online does give you more rights than buying from a shop, iirc in some situations you can have upto 180 days to return items, just because you bought it online doesn't mean it can't be returned :thumb:

I very much doubt that the fan should be coming on unless you've been thrashing it and then suddenly get stuck in traffic . Check your coolant level .

I very much doubt that the fan should be coming on unless you've been thrashing it and then suddenly get stuck in traffic . Check your coolant level .

I don't need t be thrashing mine for the fan to come on :? just getting in some traffic and it will be on within minutes!

[mention]JRH[/mention] might be able to help as he has the same bike

I don't need t be thrashing mine for the fan to come on :? just getting in some traffic and it will be on within minutes!

@JRH might be able to help as he has the same bike

Ok , I suppose I am basing my experience on my GSXR 1100 WP where the fan only came on a handful of times and only in those circumstances . On reflection , the engine still retained some of the extensive cooling fins of the earlier oil cooled version and that didn't have a fan at all . So maybe the cooling was more efficient than some later bikes .

Polish_20191125_000643398.thumb.jpg.96dab42b105d59a4116f443802b1af11.jpg

Polish_20191125_000555027.thumb.jpg.14af03112862f3f735b52137abe17eb8.jpg

@pinheadplanet i have a 2008 model GSF1250. My fan will come in when I’m stopped, but your model has the full fairing I believe so that may cause the fan to operate more. But more importantly does the over temp light come on. If not the fan is doing its job.

As regards the smell the only time mine stinks is after an oil change, oil on the down pipes, or after I have used the AFC50. Neither of these are rubber or plastic smells.

Check the exhaust system to make sure it’s not touching anything likewise the engine and radiator.

Right, sorry all, I didn't tick the box that sent me email notifications of when you all reply - Newbie mistake!

So, yeah, aware of the distance selling rules. I didn't mean "I CAN'T take it back" just that the shop is f* miles away. It's a great bike so I'd like to keep it and get it sorted.

I wasn't aware of an overheating warning light, so that's good news if it's got one as no warning lights are coming on.

Good to hear that your fan comes on too when ya stop, that's reassuring. I've been driving very normally yesterday as had the Mrs on the back and just going around town, so definitely not thrashing it.

It seems like there's loads of stuff like the fan and radiator right in front of the manifold. Looks too close to me but what do I know!

Yesterday there was loads of (what I hoping was) steam coming from the manifold area as we were out in the rain. I was really worried because of the burning smell too. This is certainly something which I never got on the GSX750.

The bike did have a service before they delivered it, you could see that the oil was new but I've done a couple of hundred miles now so I guess any excess or spilt oil should have burnt off by now.

Cheers

K

Keep up. Already posted. :wink:

On you bike there is a combined oil pressure and high temp light next to the trip meter.

High temp is just above the oil pressure symbol.

My fan will come on in slow town traffic and usually after a good run when I stop. But as it is not fully faired there is a good amount of air over the radiator when moving.

When / if I’m out in the rain there is a fair amount of steam off the front as the front wheel will throw water onto the manifold.

Keep up. Already posted. :wink:

:oops: missed it :lol:

So I've just been out (and it's not raining) and I can see smoke/steam coming from the radiator. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o93E6JKVNfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDMCGqZueo

the smoke/steam is literally only coming from that wet looking patch on the rad.

I emailed the shop I bought it from and he's telling me I must have had a stone hit it and that it's leaking. Considering I've done less than 200 miles on it and the fact that it smelt when I took delivery of it I find that VERY unlikey and hard to believe, but what can I do...?

He's told me to put some Radweld in it for now and maybe it'd need to go off to GMX for repair, but he certainly wasn't offering to pay for it.

PS - The coolant level is well above the F (Full)

Let the bike dry off then run it up and look at that area of the radiator and see if it becomes damp and steams.

If you had a leak there would be some loss of coolant.

The wet area is in the middle of the rad where the water would be thrown up off the front wheel. Do you have an extender fitted to the front mudguard? If not fit one it helps keep the crud off the front of the engine etc.

Yeah when I got home I did dry it off and then start it again and let it run but not much was happening in terms of it getting wet again. I let it run for 5/10 minutes (that's 5 to 10 minutes NOT five tenths of a minute :D ) and nothing came out.

It was raining and the bike's under a tarp so I didn't really fancy standing outside getting wet too much. I will have to see when it's dry, whenever the hell that might be!

Interesting about the fender extender though (*opens eBay)

Thanks