Getting up to look out the window at my bike.

James in Brum

Today was the first time I have ridden my bike properly since I was hit on it about 5 weeks ago, I did do about a mile on Saturday to see that she was okay to ride after [mention]fastbob[/mention] and I sorted out her steering.

I've been in the office about an hour and a quarter and I have gotten up 4 times just to look out the window at my wonderful bike. I was a bit nervous on her on the ride this morning but more about conditions and having not ridden her for a while.

Is it possible for a bike to 'fit' you perfectly? Do any of you find your bike fits brilliantly?

Once I'm on it my Multistrada 950 fits perfectly. The problem is where I live has no flat space for parking my bike so heaving it around whenever I'm coming or going is hard work. I've learnt (the hard way) some ways of heaving are better than others but if I suddenly keel over with a heart attack I'll have a good idea why!

Yes an emotional fit. I don’t think I would have the emotional fit if it did not seem to fit me in more boring ways like achieving its purpose and being comfy.

There is something about this collection of metal, rubber, plastic and whatever else that I bloomin’ love.

I've got to have a bike that fits perfect for me.......not talking about ergonomics or height, primarily the way it feels and handles.

If I've bought a bike and it doesn't feel right to me.....then it has to go. That's why I've had 63 bikes.

Example of bikes that feel right: All variants of XT's, DR's, RD's, Fazer, Strom, Transalp, ZR7, R1150GS.

Bikes that don't feel right: Bandits, XJ900, TDM900, any sportsbike, any bike with clipons or low bars.

As an allrounder that'll do everything, the Strom is near enough the perfect bike for me. Only minor criticism is I'd prefer it to be about 50lbs lighter.

In terms of emotion......I don't have any! I'm not someone who has feelings for inanimate objects! Children and animals.....yes.....bits of metal....no!

Guest Richzx6r

I've got to have a bike that fits perfect for me.......not talking about ergonomics or height, primarily the way it feels and handles.

If I've bought a bike and it doesn't feel right to me.....then it has to go. That's why I've had 63 bikes.

Example of bikes that feel right: All variants of XT's, DR's, RD's, Fazer, Strom, Transalp, ZR7, R1150GS.

Bikes that don't feel right: Bandits, XJ900, TDM900, any sportsbike, any bike with clipons or low bars.

As an allrounder that'll do everything, the Strom is near enough the perfect bike for me. Only minor criticism is I'd prefer it to be about 50lbs lighter.

In terms of emotion......I don't have any! I'm not someone who has feelings for inanimate objects! Children and animals.....yes.....bits of metal....no!

This isn't the time or place for your talking about animal emotions......in some places its illegal you know :)

Is it you @Justarn that has the street fighter that was for sale but you have kept it? That looks like a beautiful bike.

I can understand loving that.

Uhhu, I couldn't bring myself to let the eBay listing get to the last few days encase someone bid last minute haha. Sold the 2016 ninja now;-)

IMG_20190717_202252.thumb.jpg.507d9797525a99e0042faae6a1c0a25b.jpg

You know those tail lights that look like exhaust pipes ? ....hmmmm , just a thought. 😉 ( You have got some cash to play with )

Lol only if I didn't love the Campbell's so much... Twin wide set double pipes give it a fantastic stance imo.

Bloody rear lights tho, led keep failing so I've pulled a unit apart as I have two faulty ones. Gonna get a local tech repair guy to refresh one to a higher standard hopefully.

Got new gold did chain and more aggressive sprockets ready to fit too, -1 +2. Just waiting on a chain tool.

IMG-20191126-WA0008.thumb.jpeg.4ef9a7c18fff25147a0ee2020e084284.jpeg

I've never had any sort of emotional attachment to any vehicle - in fact most of the things I've owned I would have happily set fire to in exchange for the insurance money if I'd have thought I could get away with it. :D

One thing I was saying to my wife just the other day is that I got far more enjoyment out of biking when I had the old ZZR1200 than I do with the K1600GT. It's taken me a while to come to terms with this fact, but having always looked for excuses to ride the ZZR I increasingly find myself looking for excuses not to bother with the BMW.

It's got nothing to do with power or performance - the mighty BMW has far more of both than I'd ever need - but is I think to do with the fact that the ZZR was a much more visceral experience: the sporty riding position meant you wrapped yourself around it, and being a bit elderly it had plenty of little quirks and idiosyncrasies that gave it character. The BMW is a stunning piece of engineering, but it's as though it has been refined to the point that all the excitement has gone. The silky motor, fancy suspension and shaft drive have smoothed things out so much that it doesn't feel like a motorbike anymore, and combined with the slightly 'disengaged' upright riding position it's more like wafting down the road on a magic carpet. It's more comfortable than the ZZR for sure, but if the excitement of riding has gone to the point where I'd sooner jump in a 15 year-old XC90, what's the point?

Part of the problem could also be that when I was considering the BMW I was also looking at a ZZR1400, and I can't shake the feeling that it would have been the better choice. The ZZR is definitely the more attractive machine - in my opinion at least - and the fact that this is the background on my laptop might also suggest that I am about to commit automotive adultery...

:(

ZZR1400.thumb.jpg.53b3fe582d1d10dbd91acea4428dc790.jpg

I've never had any sort of emotional attachment to any vehicle - in fact most of the things I've owned I would have happily set fire to in exchange for the insurance money if I'd have thought I could get away with it. :D

One thing I was saying to my wife just the other day is that I got far more enjoyment out of biking when I had the old ZZR1200 than I do with the K1600GT. It's taken me a while to come to terms with this fact, but having always looked for excuses to ride the ZZR I increasingly find myself looking for excuses not to bother with the BMW.

It's got nothing to do with power or performance - the mighty BMW has far more of both than I'd ever need - but is I think to do with the fact that the ZZR was a much more visceral experience: the sporty riding position meant you wrapped yourself around it, and being a bit elderly it had plenty of little quirks and idiosyncrasies that gave it character. The BMW is a stunning piece of engineering, but it's as though it has been refined to the point that all the excitement has gone. The silky motor, fancy suspension and shaft drive have smoothed things out so much that it doesn't feel like a motorbike anymore, and combined with the slightly 'disengaged' upright riding position it's more like wafting down the road on a magic carpet. It's more comfortable than the ZZR for sure, but if the excitement of riding has gone to the point where I'd sooner jump in a 15 year-old XC90, what's the point?

Part of the problem could also be that when I was considering the BMW I was also looking at a ZZR1400, and I can't shake the feeling that it would have been the better choice. The ZZR is definitely the more attractive machine - in my opinion at least - and the fact that this is the background on my laptop might also suggest that I am about to commit automotive adultery...

ZZR1400.jpg

Yo have just described how I feel about my FJR!

I came from a TL1000s to the FJR and I have lost a lot of interest!

The TL was just extreme and needed to be handled whereas the FJR just gets on with it in comfort!

But the change was because I wanted the wife to get on the back so we can both enjoy it! that part worked but I look for excuses not to go out on my own!

I bought the cruiser because of my knees

thing is I don't really like it!

There's nothing wrong with it but it just doesn't fit me! (emotionally)

I loved my Blade (I couldn't get my feet on the pegs now)

but I never felt that 100% connection even with that :?

The last bike I felt truly at 1 with was a VFR750 in my late 30's

but I think that was me at the time rather than the bike

TL1000 was reportedly a scary monster of a bike. I've never ridden one but heard it was awesome if you were brave enough. These days I like a bike I can ride in comfort with just a bit of a bite.

I didn't find it as scary as it was made out! but it could bite you in the arse if you didn't play nice :shock:

Coming out of corners with the back end spinning or the front in the air was too easy!

ZZR1400.jpg

its time the beemer went then and get something else, i have had that feeling with the last few bikes i have had its no point in keeping them if you feel that way

its time the beemer went then and get something else, i have had that feeling with the last few bikes i have had its no point in keeping them if you feel that way

You're right. Probably not the best time of year to be selling it, but with a bit of luck I might have something different in the garage come Spring...

:thumb:

You all need to get Sportsters ! It's years since I did 7,000 miles in one summer . I'm off out to my garage just to stand and look at mine .

IMG_20191116_141633122.thumb.jpg.00d8a32a6ce60713eae91f85d7cb3429.jpg