Flared soft rivet link problem?

Justarn

Hi all, just fitted my chain and sprockets, what's. Sod of a job with a cheap shit chain tool.

One of the rivets I slightly over flared and the edge split... Is this a massive issue? Obv it's over flared by .1 of a mil but the split worries me a little more than a tenth of a mil ...

Tempted to leave it and check regularly...

Is that stupid

I wouldn't worry about that at all but I would check to see if the joining link is as free to move as all the others . Which is not easy with an O or X ring chain .

lets all go back to split link chains i say lets face it vincent put them on the black shadow and that was a thousand cc

I hear what you say but I put a split link on a 630 ( remember them ? ) chain on a GSX 1200 ET . Luckily the side plate was a tight fit because a month or so later I found the clip part in two pieces stuck to the gunk behind the sprocket cover . I've no idea how long I was riding like that and even less idea what could have caused this to happen .

lets all go back to split link chains i say lets face it vincent put them on the black shadow and that was a thousand cc

I hear what you say but I put a split link on a 630 ( remember them ? ) chain on a GSX 1200 ET . Luckily the side plate was a tight fit because a month or so later I found the clip part in two pieces stuck to the gunk behind the sprocket cover . I've no idea how long I was riding like that and even less idea what could have caused this to happen .

do you think it could have been a dodgy clip :?:

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks lads, top guys;-) I thought for sure I'd get swap it out immediately... Weight off my mind :thumb:

I'd defo buy a new chain and sprocket set, that small split looks like it could have damaged the flux capacitor and warp drive mechanism

:stupid:

I ran two split links on my 200bhp dragbike in the 80s. Never had a problem with split links.

You didn't tour Scotland on it though .

probably checked after every quick run too and not left for thousands of miles like a lot of people can and do