Clipped a cars mirror and rode off(realy guilty)

Datsmokinpigeon

To day an my way back from college I accidently clipped a cars mirror while filtering. I think I clipped the very edge so thing no damage. And I rode off as I was realy panicked. :oops: I've got my self into a right state. Any legal advice on what could happen if they got my place n such?

Relax, breathe, stop panicking.

It was an accident, no harms done.👍

It happens - I've done it once or twice, I'm sure most riders have at some point.

In future, maybe think if you can safely pause, turn and put an apology hand up - most car drivers won't give it a second thought if you own up to a mistake and say sorry

For me, it would be more important to know why I'd clipped a mirror......did the car(s) in the queue move to close the gap? Was the gap too small? Was my positioning/speed wrong? Did the road surface or camber affect my direction? etc etc

To day an my way back from college I accidently clipped a cars mirror while filtering. I think I clipped the very edge so thing no damage. And I rode off as I was realy panicked. :oops: I've got my self into a right state. Any legal advice on what could happen if they got my place n such?

It's off to the colonies for you I'm afraid. Botany Bay most likely destination. :whip:

Worst case scenario....they got your plate details and report it to the police. They might take the line of leaving the scene of an accident without stopping to provide details.

But that's unlikely if there's no damage.

As said, the main thing is how you got into that position in the first place and adapting your filtering technique so as to avoid a repition.

Guest Richzx6r

Whilst working as a motorcycle courier I clipped many a mirror both accidentally and on purpose so from my experience just work out what you could have done differently next time (if anything) and just slow down slightly more during filtering to give yourself more time to think :thumb:

Clipping/ brushing it I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you collect it then stop and offer to pay for it and just hope it isn't a heated mirror on a Mercedes!

It is a lesson learnt as regardless of whether they were being a numpty and sitting in the middle of the road to look at the queue of traffic it's up to you to make sure you can fit through, maybe drop the speed to a walking pace so you have more time to judge if you will fit.

I am one of those people who push in peoples mirrors when they squeeze over the middle white line or have moved out to shrink the gap when they have seen me filtering, usually it's someone telling me it is illegal to filter and I calmly correct them and move on. My usual pace is about 5mph above what everyone else is doing as to me its still progress and I will be long gone through the traffic whilst they are still sat there, if a faster filter comes up behind you then at the next available place just pull in and let them through. If you ride like a plonker through traffic (not saying you did) you might get the next biker in bother by winding up the other motorists tanking it through at 40+mph which I have seen when I have been in my car, scared the crap out of me and my mates kids in the back!

Most of the time they wont even notice, especially if theres only a brush, and the stereo is a bit louder than usual.

That'll be a good learning curve for you to appreciate gaps.

They can't do anything legally I think, they can't prove that you've brushed their mirror? Maybe if there's a car behind with a dash cam, but not even then.

Just to put your mind at ease, I've been there at one point, just learn from the experience.

Hope that helps.

Most of the time they wont even notice, especially if theres only a brush, and the stereo is a bit louder than usual.

That'll be a good learning curve for you to appreciate gaps.

They can't do anything legally I think, they can't prove that you've brushed their mirror? Maybe if there's a car behind with a dash cam, but not even then.

Just to put your mind at ease, I've been there at one point, just learn from the experience.

Hope that helps.

Er if there is damage ...then yes they can if they have vehicle details.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q894.htm

To the op

Ask yourself if someone hit your bike and rode off how would you feel ?