Headlights - Suzuki

iangaryprice

I have a Suzuki GSX600F 2003.

It has twin headlights, only one is on with Dipped beam.

Whan I switch on High beam the 2nd light comes on, the dipped light stays on as it was.

Both lights have H7 single filament bulbs in them.

I have suspicion they are the wrong way around,

The beam patterm for the high beam light seems to be better suited to dipped beam.

The low beamlight as currently setup is the nearside one (left), high beam the offside (right) one.

When on low beam there is very little light on the ground close to the bike.

On high beam the ground near the bike lights up a lot more even thought the beam is set higer then the dipped one.

Can those of you with twin lights where only one is on on low beam let me know which one (left or right) illuminates.

Thanks for the feedback, I have been out to the garage to have another look at it.

The lights are defintely the correct way round, the Low beam has a H7 as I said before, but I was wrong about the High beam it's a H1 bulb. I have only ever seen H1 used for higbeam, so they are the correct way around, also the wires would not reach to swap them over.

I took the bulb out of low beam and although working did not look good. I changed it to the spare I had for my car. It seems much brighter and a better spread of light.

I will see how it is on the way home from work tomorrow.

I am tempted to get some Osram Nightbreaker +150 bulbs, I had the in a revious car and they were definitly better than standard bulbs.

Its better with the other bulb in, more light but still a patchy light beam.

Earlier models were fitted with H4 twin filament bulbs, with tis setup both lights are on for both dipped and main beam.

I looked at getting a second habd headlightof this type bu they were expensixre form breakers, I think because its seen as an upgrade!

Is the earlier type the same shape.. Ie updated look as from 1998-2006? Or is it the original 1st shape as don't think it will fit as wrong shape ,will the plexiglass take uprated bulbs OK with extra heat ? And how hard is it to fit bulbs with fairings fitted :scratch:

• 2 weeks later...

Its better with the other bulb in, more light but still a patchy light beam.

Earlier models were fitted with H4 twin filament bulbs, with tis setup both lights are on for both dipped and main beam.

I looked at getting a second habd headlightof this type bu they were expensixre form breakers, I think because its seen as an upgrade!

Were you able to find a solution to the patchy light beam?

I've not been able to find a solution to the patchy beam. The 2nd bulb wasa lot brighter.

I am now looking to get a better bulb.

Phillips, Osram etc do bulbs that are brighter, (night breaker etc) but still 55w so they don't cause heat problems. Also "e" marked so completely legal.

I had some Osram Nightbreaker in my last car and they were noticably brighter. They were +120%, now they do +150%.

Bikes form 1996 onwards all had twin headlight (earlier had a single headlight). Upto about 2000 both headlights illuminated on dip and on high both switched to the 2nd "high" filament,

On later ones (mine included) the nearside light is on all the time, on high beam the offside one is on as well.

Both types of twin headlight are interchangable, but some wiring mods are required (mine has 2-pin connectors, would need chnaging to 3-pin)

:lol: I've a halfords card so maybe buy some uprated bulbs for mine..how hard is it renew bulbs with fairings etc on ? :scratch:

On the GPX good hour. 5 min to change the lamps rest of the time to remove belly pan fairing and headlamp. Then replace it all.

On the half faired Bandit 15 min for both and a couple of plasters.( didn’t remove the fairing hence the plasters for the knuckles) :roll:

:lol: I've a halfords card so maybe buy some uprated bulbs for mine..how hard is it renew bulbs with fairings etc on ? :scratch:

going to remove full fairing over Christmas to check earths and to balance carbs and clean etc after the last feck up I don't trust no one after that other than myself, will look into bulb upgrade then as I don't like loosing skin and knuckles when not in work

On the GPX good hour. 5 min to change the lamps rest of the time to remove belly pan fairing and headlamp. Then replace it all.

On the half faired Bandit 15 min for both and a couple of plasters.( didn’t remove the fairing hence the plasters for the knuckles) :roll:

I managed to remove and replace both bulbs in my GSX without reeoving the fairing.

I turned the handlebars one way or the other to get better access,

1, reach in and pull the connector off the bulb. Waggling side to side helps.

2. Remove the rubber cover over the bulb.

3. Using a torch have a good look at how the bulb retaining spring latches.

4. Reach in and release the spring latch.

5. Open the spring latch as far as you can without straining it.

6. Lift the bulb out. Note which way around it was fitted - helps when putting it back.

7. If you have H7/H1 bulbs they have a plastic adaptor (I dont know if H4 bulbs have adaptors).

Refitting - obviously the reverse, but a few tips might help.

1, tuck the connectors out of the way - a piece of sticky tape can help.

2. Pad out the area below the headlight with sponge and or rags, reduces chance of bulb breaking if you drop it.

3, Move the handlebar to give you the best access, try both ways to see which is best.

4, Your hand will obscure the hole you are trying to put the bulb in, so try feeling for the way in first without the bulb, to get a feel for it.

5, When putting the rubber boot back on, again your hand will obscure what you are doing, so you hold the rubber with one finger through the centre hole, use that finger to guide it over the connector prongs on the bulb. A light smear fo silicon grease on the rubber boot makes it easier to fit and helps seal water out.

6, Similar for connector, you ahve to work bling so use fingers to feel the way on.