My merlin boots have given up on me after 14 months. The lining has split so I can't get my left heel in comfortably, the insoles have been loose for months so keeping them in place is a pain and I think the right toe is starting to let a bit of moisture in. So I need a replacement pair. They must be waterproof, they are used for commuting in the north east, we get a lot of rain. I don't want something in your face racing boots, just something black and relatively plain. Preferably not costing an arm and a leg, I'd rather buy 3 pairs of these merlins than 1 pair of sidi adventure 2.

I can get a replacement pair of these merlins, which to be fair have served me well, for £89.99.

Suggestions?

I have a pair of these: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/276099?r=GS&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz53vBRCpARIsAPPsz8WDEfCMOqgAjWPaP80vEy7cRhLntjV1sPRE6uXkQy8vkmwSWY96WckaAg55EALw_wcB

that I bought second hand for about 40 pounds. Only been using them for about 4 months but they are doing the job just fine and I have covered about 3.5k miles in that time. Kept me dry and because I got a slightly bigger size and have big socks kept me warm too.

Might be an idea to let us know your budget.

I don't really have one, I am more interested in value. If a pair of boots will last me 10 years of dry feet comfortable commuting but cost £250 then that's better than a pair that cost £100 but last a year before falling apart.

I fell into the trap of buying cheaper boots, I then did the maths and bought a pair of Altbergs which run at about 200 quid but typically last at least 10 years so at £20 a year it was cheaper than buying cheaper boots.

One of the issues I’ve discovered over the years is that mostly my boots have worn the tread away on the soles before any other problems arose.

This maybe a product of having metal rather than rubber foot pegs.

Once the soles are worn my feet start to slip off the pegs.

I’ve looked at getting them re-soled but at the cost people quote I bite the bullet & buy new ones.

Current are Alpinstars SMX5’s WP, £135 from the bike show 5 years ago, they’ve been great but starting to look very worn on the soles, so probably look for new ones next year.

For the money i dont think you can fault RST evo's.

I bought a pair of alpinestar 2 year back and to be honest i will be going back to RST's when needs must.

The last pair lasted 4 year all weather.

One of the issues I’ve discovered over the years is that mostly my boots have worn the tread away on the soles before any other problems arose.

This maybe a product of having metal rather than rubber foot pegs.

Once the soles are worn my feet start to slip off the pegs.

I’ve looked at getting them re-soled but at the cost people quote I bite the bullet & buy new ones.

Current are Alpinstars SMX5’s WP, £135 from the bike show 5 years ago, they’ve been great but starting to look very worn on the soles, so probably look for new ones next year.

You're obviously not parking close enough to your destination :mrgreen:

Might be an idea to let us know your budget.

I don't really have one, I am more interested in value. If a pair of boots will last me 10 years of dry feet comfortable commuting but cost £250 then that's better than a pair that cost £100 but last a year before falling apart.

What do you call an arm or leg.

I have Dayton GTX gore-tex. not cheap but comfortable and waterproof.

I bought a pair of forms boots in 2006. I think the current version is the Ice Pro Flow.

I wear them all year round and although they are starting to look quite tatty, they're still fine to use.

I've bought £100 boots before and they disintegrated in no time so I'm happy to pay for good ones.

My merlin boots have given up on me after 14 months. The lining has split so I can't get my left heel in comfortably, the insoles have been loose for months so keeping them in place is a pain and I think the right toe is starting to let a bit of moisture in. So I need a replacement pair. They must be waterproof, they are used for commuting in the north east, we get a lot of rain. I don't want something in your face racing boots, just something black and relatively plain. Preferably not costing an arm and a leg, I'd rather buy 3 pairs of these merlins than 1 pair of sidi adventure 2.

I can get a replacement pair of these merlins, which to be fair have served me well, for £89.99.

Suggestions?

derry boots the dispatch riders favourite :)

For the money i dont think you can fault RST evo's.

I bought a pair of alpinestar 2 year back and to be honest i will be going back to RST's when needs must.

The last pair lasted 4 year all weather.

went with a pair of these thanks, put them on first and they were very comfortable. Tried a few others on but came back to them. Got the waterproof version for a straight £100, which was cheaper than most places online.

Got a pair of loky goretex gloves reduced to £85 too so I was very happy with the service at jsaccessories.

I didn't realise they even went this high until i saw some at the shop tonight, I thought £300 was about the ceiling.

I didn't realise they even went this high until i saw some at the shop tonight, I thought £300 was about the ceiling.

Bought them at the London bike show 3 or 4 years ago, can’t remember senility kicked in, cost about £300 show price so in my mind good value.

I'm a cheap skate and had a set of Altbergs from stores for free. If they can keep my feet warm and dry on Sennybridge or Salisbury Plain, then they will be fine for the bike. I do need to invest in some decent boots though soon.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/266378

I can highly rate these! Had them now for nearly 7 years and are still in one piece apart from the toe sliders being ground out. Still waterproof (Gore-Tex)and work well even in the very cold winter (with the right sock). Easy to put on and adjust for tightness with the inner pull cord system, unbelievably comfortable even from out the box and have just gotten better with use over time.

Yes they aren't cheap but with the abuse I have given them they are still looking great with a clean and a bit of nikwax at the beginning of the winter.

Of all the boots I have and had these are still my go to ones for everything from cold, wet track days to touring and commuting.

I also have a set of the below which, after many years are still holding up, very comfortable and still waterproof.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/304736