Er6f 2006 cuts out when revved a little quickly on idle?

hussnainh8

Hello

So I have a Er6f 2006 for 4 months now and i love the bike but I have a small problem with it. When the engine is hot, if i rev the bike on idle a little quicker than usual so say to move of quickly, the bike literally cuts out. Starting it back up it will start perfectly fine first time.

No idea on the service history of the bike however the bike itself is in very good condition with just 18,000 miles on the clock.

When checking the oil it seems new however this is all i know. Could it be the spark plugs or air filter potential ly or is this a bigger problem?

I dont know if it is related however on a cold engine start the revs stay at 2000rpm for 2 ish minutes and drop right down to 8/900rpm. Thd workshop manual says should be 1300rpm at least? Any reason why this is?

Thank you.

On a cold start

I'd second starting with upping the idle. If it's too low you'll get this happening on initial throttle.

But I'd add....always do one thing at a time and run for a good while to see the result before touching anything else. Making several adjustments at once leads to sadness and frustration.

If the air supply or spark was an issue the bike would run rough before it cut out.

A cut out after a blip of the throttle is often too low an idle speed.

The idle circuit catches the bikes rpm when you're not in gear so that the bike doesn't stall. If this is too low, the engine speed drops too sharply for it to stop it and it stalls. If you turn it up even just a bit, the engine won't be able to stall.

Thanks for the reply. I have today replaced the spark plugs and air filter. Bike runs smoother however the issue is still there.

I will adjust the idle screw tomorrow. Is there any reason why the idle needs adjusting? I thought you shouldnt need to mess around with idle adjust?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I have today replaced the spark plugs and air filter. Bike runs smoother however the issue is still there.

I will adjust the idle screw tomorrow. Is there any reason why the idle needs adjusting? I thought you shouldnt need to mess around with idle adjust?

Thanks.

Whats the bike idling at? if its low then yes it needs adjusting if its set as per the manual then no it doesn't need adjusting and you have a different issue

Thanks.

Whats the bike idling at? if its low then yes it needs adjusting if its set as per the manual then no it doesn't need adjusting and you have a different issue

Its idleing at 900 rpm and everytime I rev the bike quickly the idles drop before they go up and sometimes they drop too much which cuts the bike out.

Thanks.

Its part of your Periodic maintenance

2147405947_Idlescrew.JPG.af94922f7a9ebf4a62ee3a7c18a000e8.JPG

Personally I'd start by trying to bring the idle speed back up to where it should be by adjusting the pilot air screws a quarter turn at a time . Probably not a job for someone with limited mechanical experience though .

Hi,

So today I adjusted the idle knob/cable and got the idle back up and it seems to have done the trick. Is it normal for the idle knob/cable to be very stiff? When I try to turn the knob, the whole cable bends rather than the knob turning. I did manage to get it to around 1250 rpm but just worried that it might turn itself back down again? Should I replace the cable? Have tried WD40 on the cable but still very stiff, maybe it is normal?

Thanks.

Guest Richzx6r

This is something I have been saying to my dad with his thundercat, my ninja idles at around 1300 rpm and its perfect my dad says it's too high so hes put his down to 900 odd and has nothing but problems with it running rough and having trouble starting, he just thinks it's to do with carb balance and doesn't believe me that a bike idled much quicker than a car :roll:

Hi,

So today I adjusted the idle knob/cable and got the idle back up and it seems to have done the trick. Is it normal for the idle knob/cable to be very stiff? When I try to turn the knob, the whole cable bends rather than the knob turning. I did manage to get it to around 1250 rpm but just worried that it might turn itself back down again? Should I replace the cable? Have tried WD40 on the cable but still very stiff, maybe it is noremal?

Thanks.

It has been said many times, WD40 is a penetrant that disperses moisture, which means it will penetrate seized or stiff parts but then it will drive out any lubricant in there. It is not of itself a lubricant. Since the idle cable is rarely touched it's probably seized in the outer casing. You really need to remove it, suspend it vertically and run oil into it, or replace it. WD40 might free it off but if so get some oil into it asap.

If you don't want to remove the cable get a tin of lubricant spray with teflon and spray that into the cable. It's sold in cycle shops for cables.