Corrosion inhibitors

JRH

Good item in January’s ride mag.

Long term test on corrosion inhibitors.

WD40 comes 4th out of 5 beating Scottoil FS365.

Top is XCP and AFC50 close second.

E304109A-6194-492E-9800-0FC33707A546.thumb.jpeg.f3f0bfde0b86b6335f6c959b1ccc8d4a.jpeg

Thanks for posting. It's always handy to have a factual report on what you're buying. I've used WD40 and ACF50 on various bikes for years, but the problem with most of them is that they wash off in heavy rain, or if you're giving your bike a post salty ride wash! I still use ACF50 or normal engine oil in lots of places, but for the high corrosion areas I use Waxoyl.

Once on it stays put! It doesn't look pretty because it acts as a dirt magnet but it does what it says on the tin!

The XCP is a thick treatment and says on through washes. So does ACF .

The Scottoil is water based so it washes off easily.

I used waxoyl treatment on my early cars. They still rusted though. :roll:

The trick with Waxoyl is to mix it 50/50 with new cheap 20W/50 engine oil and apply it warmed up. Waxoyl is a bit too thick so applied on its own it sits on top of metal. Moisture inevitably gets in and sits between the Waxoyl and the metal so it rusts. Mixed with engine oil it becomes a flowing mixture which penetrates into the surface, soaks into any rust pockets and keeps oxygen out. That's the key thing, steel won't rust without oxygen. Adding oil helps seal the oxygen out.

Hi,

Managing an aircraft stores i get Dinitrol AV25 come up SLE....And rather than dispose of it i take the odd can home. Paints on and dries like wax. When i stopped riding 5 years ago i painted most of the metal parts with the stuff and left the bike in the garden uncovered. Fast forward to October 2019 i stripped it all off with paraffin and there was barely any rust. Once again all the exposed metal parts are painted in it ready for the winter commute.

Prior to getting my free stuff i used to use ACF.....Another great product just bloody expensive!

Cheers,

Shaun.

The XCP is a thick treatment and says on through washes. So does ACF .

The Scottoil is water based so it washes off easily.

I used waxoyl treatment on my early cars. They still rusted though. :roll:

I remember when they used to under seal cars.

Personally I think that sealed in the rust.

Thankfully cars are a whole lot better nowadays.

If you had to fanny about with cars the way you still have to with a bike, such as anti corrosion coating just to use it in winter without it rusting, the bloody roads would be empty.

Dunno why we accept it

Guest Richzx6r

If you had to fanny about with cars the way you still have to with a bike, such as anti corrosion coating just to use it in winter without it rusting, the bloody roads would be empty.

Dunno why we accept it

Probably because its easier to accept it than fight it

I feel the manufacturers could do so much better. They are currently between 10and 50 years behind where cars have got to.

People want to drive/ride. Not fuss about keeping a delicate machine operational. Sure, some enjoy spending time in the garage getting oily hands. But I get the feeling that more people just want to add petrol and go.

This isn't reflected in the motorcycle business and their offerings. It's like the early 60s with the odd electronic aid.

All round lack of progress from Messrs Honda and others (tft screens - how long have they been fairly standard in cars? Performance and fuel economy?? safety aids, comfort such as cruise control?) but this topic is about anti corrosion formulas. As I say if you were dicking about with your car these days getting it winter ready what would you be driving?

Fender extenders, huggers, rad guards, heated grips, these are not additional aftermarket extras to make that bike yours, it's where the manufacturers delivered an unfinished product

I would imagine a big factor with a bike it that everything is relatively exposed in terms of engine and all the workings. In a car you get a nice can to surround it in and protect it. My car is 10yrs old now and look under the bonnet and many parts have started to corrode but can't be seen to the passer-by.

I think it's important to apply some sort of protection if you want to hang onto your bike for a while. Acf works for me and is fairly easy to apply and more cost effective when bought in a bigger container.

Because I am an idle swine I use All Year Biker to give my bike an annual protective coating of some magic substance - either ACF-50 or XCP and it seems to work for me. No rust or corrosion and dirt including dead insects just wipes off. Suits me and the bike.

A lot of my riding tails off in Jan and Feb, but still use ACF50 to keep the salt out, it does a really good job. It seems to have a capillary type of action that works its way into the tightest of places you wouldn't expect it to touch. Expensive but well worth the money imho.

I feel the manufacturers could do so much better. They are currently between 10and 50 years behind where cars have got to.

People want to drive/ride. Not fuss about keeping a delicate machine operational. Sure, some enjoy spending time in the garage getting oily hands. But I get the feeling that more people just want to add petrol and go.

This isn't reflected in the motorcycle business and their offerings. It's like the early 60s with the odd electronic aid.

All round lack of progress from Messrs Honda and others (tft screens - how long have they been fairly standard in cars? Performance and fuel economy?? safety aids, comfort such as cruise control?) but this topic is about anti corrosion formulas. As I say if you were dicking about with your car these days getting it winter ready what would you be driving?

Bill Fowler was banging on about this in the Used Motorcycle Guide back in the 80s, at the time cars were coming on in leaps and bounds and yet all bikes got were quick-seize disc brakes and quick-wear monoshock linkages. Why do we put up with fixed footpegs and handlebars when car seats are fully adjustable? Calipers that stop working after 2 months of winter use? A final drive system that needs constant and messy attention? Terrible headlights (though admittedly this is finally getting better)? Car drivers simply wouldn't put up with this nonsense. And where are the 100MPH/100MPG machines we should easily have by now, ready to tempt more people on to bikes? It's a topic close to my heart.

To try and stay on topic, corrosion inhibitors are for girls. A real man's bike looks like this:

DSC_0023.JPG

It's even better now 8-)

Bill Fowler was banging on about this in the Used Motorcycle Guide back in the 80s, at the time cars were coming on in leaps and bounds and yet all bikes got were quick-seize disc brakes and quick-wear monoshock linkages. Why do we put up with fixed footpegs and handlebars when car seats are fully adjustable? Calipers that stop working after 2 months of winter use? A final drive system that needs constant and messy attention? Terrible headlights (though admittedly this is finally getting better)? Car drivers simply wouldn't put up with this nonsense. And where are the 100MPH/100MPG machines we should easily have by now, ready to tempt more people on to bikes? It's a topic close to my heart.

To try and stay on topic, corrosion inhibitors are for girls. A real man's bike looks like this:

DSC_0023.JPG

It's even better now 8-)

Well excuse me! I'm off to powder my nose.🖕

DSC_0023.JPG

It's even better now 8-)

Ssshhh....keep that quiet. We don't want all the summertime weekend power rangers buying expensive salt solution to spray their bikes with over the winter.

I do apply anti corrosion products, even if I don’t ride during the winter and avoiding wet roads, I doo clean and lube the chain all the time but I do that just to get out of the house and enjoy some time with the bike.

Bonus, I don’t have to listen my wife, don’t need to wash dishes, vacuum the carpet and so on, just mans jobs. :angel12: