Has everyoen stopped commuting for the winter?

Pbassred

I had an extra set of waterproofs on over the top of my textiles, as they are easier to dry out, yet still got soaked Thursday morning. my commute involves some rural stuff through to Leicester, and the road was flooded in a couple of places. I am fine riding through deep water, but ended up coming off due to idiot cagers going too fast in the opposite direction and swamping the bike and me. bike and me ended up in deep mud and crap at the side of the road so I got wet from the rain and from landing in the water flooding the road. working in wet socks is not very pleasant, and drying them out in a microwave even worse

The annoying thing is it was dry when i left the house, if it wasn't i would have put my waterproof over coat and over pants on.

I must've fallen for this at least 4 times in the past week, halfway to work only to find it's raining but my waterproofs are stowed safely away in my backpack..

[mention]billy sugger[/mention] daaamn that sounds horrendous!

• 2 weeks later...

Taken my car off the road for December due to er Christmas, need to change when the tax and insurance is all due. So riding my bike into work at the moment, I can't remember the last time the roads were dry. Got some heated gloves now though and it's heaven.

The reason I don't use any of my good bikes during the winter : :shock:

And that's using a mix of A & B roads between Rugby and Banbury.

That's nothing. you should see mine after a week of commuting between Kettering and Narborough on mostly rural stuff.

I ended up buying a worx hydroshot battery powered pressure washer. does the job in less than half the time it took by hand

That's nothing. you should see mine after a week of commuting between Kettering and Narborough on mostly rural stuff.

I ended up buying a worx hydroshot battery powered pressure washer. does the job in less than half the time it took by hand

Pics or it didn't happen :wink:

First time since having a bike I'll be reducing my winter riding and taking the car

How do I thumbs down on here?? :booty:

Meanwhile nearly all the paint has flaked off the Kawasaki's fork legs so at least they can't get much worse 8-)

Pics or it didn't happen :wink:

will try and remember to get some next Friday before I wash it

I am still commuting most days, I used ca ron Mnday because the road was white with frost.

Tuesday and weds it was warmer, so used the bike. I've got the day off tomorrow, then friday we are out for a meal after work so I need to use the car.

I will continue to the bike through the winter, but sue the car if its icy.

Rode it to work tonight

Bit nippy like :(

Braver than me!

I thought about going on mine to work today then I slapped myself :D

First time in a while to be honest.

Bad bad traffic at the moment with xmas and all that bollox. So couldn't face an hour commute in the car....

Practicality filtered all the way from mine to bloody Uddersfied.

Still commuting by motorcycle, wind, rain, ice, floods, cold... Ice :? All good fun :wink:

Oh and fog... 5am rural roads, blinded by main beams and bike is covered in muck, salt etc! Its dark when I leave and dark when I return. Washed the bike in the dark and adjusted the chain using a touch... I really need a garage :crybaby: or a car. Still good fun :roll:

The last part of my journey is 10miles down un-gritted, muddy country lanes so I have never bothered in the winter as to me I'm lucky and can afford a card so it isn't worth the risk!

I will go out on the weekends if the weather is +4 degrees as my heated grips and heated jacket does everything I need and there is always a coffee place nearby if it gets too much. The mud and the wet doesn't really bother me unless I am riding at night when you can't see the mud mid corner until it is too late. :(

I love riding but when it is icy/ snowy or hammering it down before I leave then the joy disappears and I like my limbs where they are :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Me too, still, conditions are on the damp side of reasonable so maybe the fact that I am still commuting on the bike doesn't mean I am hardcore

My chain went rusty overnight recently, bright orange. Broke my heart. I blame the gear oil that people on here recommend. It flings off and it washes off. I used the bike all of last winter never had this before and I was using specific chain lubes then

Went to work on the scooter today and had a great ride home up the A361 ;roads were dry, relatively mild 10deg C and light traffic.

Even got some heat in the rear tyre.

If it stays dry overnight might use the R1 tomorrow