Helmet fogging

Hi there all.

I’m having the age old helmet fogging problem which means I’m having to ride with the visor open about one eighth of an inch. Didn’t have that problem with my old Caberg but recently bought an LS2 Strobe, not a dear helmet but perfect fit.

The fogging is caused by me breathing, something I can’t stop.

I’ve seen a video where the guy rubbed a raw potato on the inside of the visor and that helped so will try that.

My main question though is regarding pin lock visors.

Has anyone fitted one?

Has it worked or not?

Don’t want to fork out £27:00 if they’re not that effective.

Cheers in advance.

Ps. I have seen them cheaper on eBay but some reviews aren’t good so they may not be genuine.

I have a pinlock on my visor. It does help but it isn't perfect. Does you helmet come with a bit that covers your nose? I removed mine and the visor with pinlock misted up all the time. Stuck the nose bit back in and it helped.

Hope this helps

Dave

They help but don't entirely eliminate the problem. A lot depends on the temperature, humidity and the kind of riding you do. Round a city in cold damp weather and they won't keep the visor totally mist free. But overall well worth the investment.

I don't know about a potato but there are various anti fogging treatments you can buy.

Coming out of a warm environment and putting on a helmet that hasn't yet equalised the outside temperature, I find the pinlock will fog up. After a couple of miles I find I can close the visor fully and no further fogging occurs. I wouldn't be without one now.

I would not rub a raw potato on your visor . Surely this is a mischievous hoax ?

No potatoes work just cannot be potatoes chips.

Actually in old times we did scuba mask treatment with potatoes, better than spitting.

And pinlock works for me fine, yes it does need some time to acclimatise, few minutes, important is that when is placed on the visor, visor was clean without any product on it.

A lot of these home anti fog solutions do work but leave a misty residue, potato, washing up liquid, shampoo, etc. Pinlock does a good job of keeping the mist at bay, if you wear glasses you'll need some antifog solution for them. I use Bob Heaths Antifog.

Guest Richzx6r

With the temperature problem I find keeping my lid in the garage which isn't heated keeps that problem away also mine has a pinloc in and I get no misting at all apart from the areas around the pinloc edge but my glasses do sometimes mist up but I have a pink solution I got from m&p a few years ago that helps

With the temperature problem I find keeping my lid in the garage which isn't heated keeps that problem away also mine has a pinloc in and I get no misting at all apart from the areas around the pinloc edge but my glasses do sometimes mist up but I have a pink solution I got from m&p a few years ago that helps

You should keep your glasses in the garage as well :thumb:

Here's a semi serious suggestion that I have heard of . As long as the other end is kept away from your exhaust pipe you should be alright .

Screenshot_20191206-160444.thumb.png.06dc757aedfa36982885f6708c370f0f.png

Guest Richzx6r

Might mean me having to move in to the garage too

A lot of these home anti fog solutions do work but leave a misty residue, potato, washing up liquid, shampoo, etc. Pinlock does a good job of keeping the mist at bay, if you wear glasses you'll need some antifog solution for them. I use Bob Heaths Antifog.

Their Vwipes are good too, especially for that fine sticky rain that won't run off the visor.

Might mean me having to move in to the garage too

That is the spirit

I would not rub a raw potato on your visor . Surely this is a mischievous hoax ?

No it’s quite true.

I know it works on mirrors.

I’ve just thought of another way as well.

You know when you’ve just had a shower and the shaving mirrors all steamed up, well rubbing soap on it then wiping it off stops anymore misting.

I wonder if that would work on a visor!!!!

I have a pinlock on my visor. It does help but it isn't perfect. Does you helmet come with a bit that covers your nose? I removed mine and the visor with pinlock misted up all the time. Stuck the nose bit back in and it helped.

Hope this helps

Dave

No it’s not got anything that covers the nose. I have however seen things like you describe.

Funnily enough my glasses never mist up in the helmet, just the visor. It’s ok at 50/60mph but around town it’s a nuisance but I suppose when the weather gets warmer the problem might go away.

Completely contary to the comments from some posters I always keep my helmet indoors above a radiator so that it is warm when I set out. This reduces the liklihood of misting up, after all, misting occurs when water vapour condenses on a cold surface so having the visor warm will help reduce this. Also, a Pinlock works extremely well at reducing fogging, specially in the wet.

Again contary to another post, my main problem with fogging is my spectacles, not my visor. I use Fogtech DX on my glasses and this works well to prevent misting.

If it's not actually raining, having the visor open a tiny bit will prevent fogging.

• 3 weeks later...

well I've just found the perfect solution to the helmet fogging problem.

forget the pinlock at about £25/£30 a throw or a cheaper version on ebay.

I've just fitted a weepro visor insert after seeing some test results on you tube.

absolutely no fogging whatsoever.

£19.95 including postage.

check it out on you tube.

if there's ever a product that does what it says on the tin it's this one.