How do you look after a fully faired bike?

Beans

I'm interested. The Honda has a half fairing but my new bike has a full fairing. How do you look after a bike where you can't see most of the engine?

How do you wash it? Just do the bits you can see? Stick the hosepipe in?

I used to strip my GSXR at least once a year not only to clean it but to have a good look at what's been going on under the plastics . I just don't do dirt on bikes inside or out . I never used a hosepipe though . Mostly I used cheap foaming Wheel Cleaner and an equally cheap spray called Black Pack available from discount stores . Oh and hours of Elbow Grease .

Polish_20191206_221257910.thumb.jpg.3d9fd9d9dafe127ca3c44048e129be7d.jpg

Polish_20191206_221416925.thumb.jpg.3634b082da9c576bfe66d31fcbbd2839.jpg

Polish_20191206_222406572.thumb.jpg.5e566007c6a120fa6c79898720f1c9fe.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Deep wash once a year, rest is all just rinsing

Deep wash meaning remove the fairing?

Exactly what fasbob wrote

And illustrated .

Edited by fastbob

Deep wash meaning remove the fairing?

And illustrated .

Beautifully. But not what I wanted to hear. Guess I chose the wrong type of bike or I need to get confident with the spanners

And illustrated .

Beautifully. But not what I wanted to hear. Guess I chose the wrong type of bike or I need to get confident with the spanners

Spanners ? You're only removing the fairing . There's no need to take the tank off unless you're checking valve clearances or balancing the carbs . It's probably worth mentioning that stripping and reassembling my bike used to give me great pleasure especially being able to gaze upon that great lump of an engine . Eventually though, the novelty can wear off which is one of the reasons I bought a Harley . Apart from an area ontop of the crankcase underneath the starter motor , there is no part of my current bike that cannot be reached with a cloth . ( Or toothbrush ) 😁

IMG_20191116_141530157.thumb.jpg.52f8d7838da77fe95fd83929db02bb87.jpg

I completely agree that as far as appearances are concerned there's no point in cleaning beneath the plastics if you not so inclined . But cleaning is a great way to notice anything that is amiss such as fluid leaks or loose bolts or to just gain a greater understanding of how your bike works .

I completely agree that as far as appearances are concerned there's no point in cleaning beneath the plastics if you not so inclined . But cleaning is a great way to notice anything that is amiss such as fluid leaks or loose bolts or to just gain a greater understanding of how your bike works .

As well perfect excuse for all households jobs :angel12:

Don't you mean a perfect excuse NOT to do household jobs ? 😉

Don't you mean a perfect excuse NOT to do household jobs ? 😉

Yes I meant exactly that, maybe not perfect but work always :stupid: