Hours of work wording in contract

Guest Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

So recently at work I and all of the other drivers have been doing silly hours and the management say we have no way of saying no, now I'm perusing my contract of employment and it states and i quote "you may be required to work additional overtime from time to time to meet operational needs, however, where possible 24 hours notice will be given. You will not be required to work an unreasonable amount of overtime"

It doesn't however give what an unreasonable amount of overtime is according to the company.

Now to me I'd say an hour a day isn't an unreasonable amount of overtime to be doing given I'm on a 32 hour a week contract but so far I'm at nearly 60 hours so nearly double my weekly contract.

So the question I'm asking, would I be being reasonable to say to work that I dont mine doing overtime but I'm not doing that amount that they are trying to get me to do or am I stuffed?

HELP!!!!

Guest Richzx6r

I suggest that you meet with your Trade Union Representative before approaching the management directly .

Trade union rep is on night shift and nobody knows who he is

I suggest that you meet with your Trade Union Representative before approaching the management directly .

Then contact the TU branch directly and ask for a rep to be sent out . This is what you pay these people for .

That is not good!!! we have 10 reps at our place on all different shifts and me being one of them!

Also read here

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours :wink:

Guest Richzx6r

That is not good!!! we have 10 reps at our place on all different shifts and me being one of them!

Also read here

I'm very tempted to go for a rep position myself

So I am right in saying that 11 hours is tha maximum we can work in a shift under domestic law rules :thumb:

Yes!

You need to read and understand the laws and get your colleagues to as well and all of you stick together

Also read here

If you want any info give me a shout

If you want any info give me a shout

Aye cheers mate will do, we are with usdaw u union

I may have guessed who you work for already!

They are normally pretty good! You would need to find out how many reps your allowed at your workplace which should be outlined in the recognition agreement!

You can't just become a rep there has to be a position available also they should have triennial elections

Guest Richzx6r

There was one on days but he left early summer and now we just have the one on nights who was there when the one on days was there so I'd guess there is probably one available, and honestly I wouldn't say to even my worst enemy to work for Hermes, they are all pretty shite to their work force

There was one on days but he left early summer and now we just have the one on nights who was there when the one on days was there so I'd guess there is probably one available, and honestly I wouldn't say to even my worst enemy to work for Hermes, they are all pretty shite to their work force

You should have more than just two! Find the other rep and speak to him/her :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

You should have more than just two! Find the other rep and speak to him/her :thumb:

I'll have a word tomorrow about who they are but I'm pretty sure we only have the one