Lane control

Older biker

I’m getting well pee’d off with people assuming I’m taking the first left at an island just because I’m keeping to a left lane Even though I’m not giving a signal to go left but going on to the second exit.

It seems people have lost the ability to stick to a lane whilst negotiating an island and others assume they’re going left but aren’t signalling. This happens on both the bike and in the car.

It’s almost a case of ‘well I’m in the correct lane but maybe I shouldn’t obey the rules and move into another lane’.

I’m getting well pee’d off with people assuming I’m taking the first left at an island just because I’m keeping to a left lane Even though I’m not giving a signal to go left but going on to the second exit.

It seems people have lost the ability to stick to a lane whilst negotiating an island and others assume they’re going left but aren’t signalling. This happens on both the bike and in the car.

It’s almost a case of ‘well I’m in the correct lane but maybe I shouldn’t obey the rules and move into another lane’.

I genuinely think some people are really clueless with roundabouts, how tf they ever passed a driving test I don't know. I tread very carefully on roundabouts with the bike and always looking out for the unexpected, IE idiots who may want to kill you and there's plenty of them about. Also keep as low gear as possible for rapid speed up if necessary.

Edited by Smithers

I believe you are talking about roundabouts. Islands are land masses surrounded by water to the rest of the world outside the Midlands :D :P

I bet you'd pass the present day observation test [mention]raesewell[/mention] :lol:

Indicate right then :roll:

That might confuse anyone on your right hand side following you around the roundabout.

If you want second exit ( straight on ) indicate right so nobs at first exist know your going past them then indicate left after you’ve passed first exit and are approaching second exit .

I think this is a good observation it is more common now. The great things about roundabouts is if used correctly they keep traffic moving. Because some of these idiots don't indicate correctly does slow everything down. The only hold up I have on my daily commute is the roundabout as I leave my town. I guess this is something that will become more common

Lane control began to disappear a few years ago here. Typical sight everyday would be someone pulled up at the roundabout with no indicators on and sat right in the middle of both lanes. No way of knowing if the dipshit is turning left or right or going straight on. In the car I can't get alongside them and on the bike there is no way I'd pull along side any of these people as they are oblivious to any others vehicles near or behind them. Very dangerous.

Lane control at traffic lights is also pretty dangerous here (along with the huge amount of red light jumpers).

I love Italian driving. Yes it’s chaos and they have lots of incidents, but when it happens they do the obligatory shouting and waving but it’s all in good fun and then everyone’s best of friends. You don’t get the precious ego driven self righteous road rage which typifies UK drivers.

Many people know the roundabout rules but ignore them because of their impatience on the road. They tend to think they are more in a hurry than other road users. I guess one must be so cautious as they approach one. And it is also true that people take time to read the highway codes anymore. :oops:

You're probably safer if you throw away the rule book like everyone else . If you base split second decisions on what other drivers SHOULD be doing rather than what they actually ARE doing , it is you that could come unstuck . Or put another way ..

Polish_20191209_095026515.jpg.c3f840b73e7405bbe4c0635e3280d385.jpg

I genuinely think some people are really clueless with roundabouts, how tf they ever passed a driving test I don't know. I tread very carefully on roundabouts with the bike and always looking out for the unexpected, IE idiots who may want to kill you and there's plenty of them about. Also keep as low gear as possible for rapid speed up if necessary.

Sounds like you like me are very wary at roundabouts and like me keep in a low gear for a tactical escape if necessary.

I believe you are talking about roundabouts. Islands are land masses surrounded by water to the rest of the world outside the Midlands :D :P

Ah yes you are right, roundabouts.

It’s a bit like cobs, batches, barmcakes, etc.

Outside certain areas people wouldn’t know what you meant. 👍👍.

Indicate right then :roll:

That might confuse anyone on your right hand side following you around the roundabout.

If you want second exit ( straight on ) indicate right so nobs at first exist know your going past them then indicate left after you’ve passed first exit and are approaching second exit .

Ah but that’s not the way to do it and there’s probably some knob in a car going to be saying to his missus ‘look at that pillock on the bike, he doesn’t know the signalling procedure’. Mind you as I ride a BMW they’re probably not expecting any indication anyway. 😂

Ah but that’s not the way to do it and there’s probably some knob in a car going to be saying to his missus ‘look at that pillock on the bike, he doesn’t know the signalling procedure’. Mind you as I ride a BMW they’re probably not expecting any indication anyway. 😂

do it what ever way you feel safe and comfortable with :thumb:

I find the worst are people who go right at roundabouts without signalling at all, everyone else is a mind reader and knows you wern't going straight on you idiot.

From day one of my learner driver days 52 years ago I was told signal signal signal, nobody can read minds and you know what, even if I’m on a country lane nothing behind, nothing in front, nothing anywhere, If I make a turn I signal.

No ones there to see it but it just becomes habit.

Ah yes you are right, roundabouts.

It’s a bit like cobs, batches, barmcakes, etc.

Outside certain areas people wouldn’t know what you meant. 👍👍.

We may be unique where I come from in referring to roundabouts as CIRCLES. 😊

From day one of my learner driver days 52 years ago I was told signal signal signal, nobody can read minds and you know what, even if I’m on a country lane nothing behind, nothing in front, nothing anywhere, If I make a turn I signal.

No ones there to see it but it just becomes habit.

I do the same.

I believe the IAM frown on doing anything as a habit, they preach only signalling when there is someone who needs to see the signal. IAM drivers must be able to see around corners and through obstacles - I only have normal sight.

My pet hate (even worse than never signalling, in my opinion) is the trick of first turning the wheel, then indicating. It just adds insult to injury and suggests a complete lack of empathy and thought for other road (and pavement) users.