Gunk spray

Older biker

I’m looking to clean the side/underside of my engine or as much as I can without removing the fairings.

I tried muc-off motorcycle degreaser at £10 a can and to be perfectly honest it’s cr@p.

I know gunk was the thing years ago and I’ve just seen they now do a spray version of which Wilko do a 500ml can for £4:00.

Basically I’m asking if anyone’s used it and if so, is it any good!!!!

I've found Muc Off to be crap as well.......for serious degreasing nothing beats Gunk and a paintbrush.

The other product I found to be very good was Autoglym bike cleaner......cant get it here though.

Screwfix no nonsense degreaser is the way to go.

You rate it then?

Yeah, I used it during the turbo build. I was really surprised how good it was - cut through years of gank no problems.

Screwfix no nonsense degreaser is the way to go.

You rate it then?

Yeah, I used it during the turbo build. I was really surprised how good it was - cut through years of gank no problems.

I will have to grab some when I get a spare 5 mins then seen as though I have ran out of Jizer

I don't let mine get that dirty that it needs a gunk clean to be honest .

Neither would I normally but as I only bought the bike about three weeks ago, and whilst the engines not absolutely filthy it’s not as clean as I’d like it to be. So it’s gloves on and get the oily bits clean and as I said the muc-off just didn’t cut it.

Actually I’m surprised it’s as dirty as it is seeing as how it’s been BMW serviced from new and was only serviced in September. Just shows they don’t bother cleaning anything.

The Gunk you can buy today is not nearly as effective as the original. The best I have found is the Screwfix NoNonsense degreaser.....but be careful to rinse it off well as it will eat away at aluminium etc if left overnight.

The Gunk you can buy today is not nearly as effective as the original. The best I have found is the Screwfix NoNonsense degreaser.....but be careful to rinse it off well as it will eat away at aluminium etc if left overnight.

They've changed Gunk? Is nothing sacred?

There was nothing better than the smell of a warmed up engine that had just been Gunked!

Except perhaps Castrol R.

Now he tells me 🤨 and I’ve just gone and spent £4:00 sacre bleue. Ah well I’ll give it a try and see what it does.

Now he tells me 🤨 and I’ve just gone and spent £4:00 sacre bleue. Ah well I’ll give it a try and see what it does.

[mention]Six30[/mention] reckons that it still handles foreskin cheese quite effectively though. So it may come in handy!

They've changed Gunk? Is nothing sacred?

There was nothing better than the smell of a warmed up engine that had just been Gunked!

Except perhaps Castrol R.

That great smell of Gunk; Henry Cooper should have been used in the TV ads for that and not Brut :)

For what it`s worth guys Once upon a time I had a job supplying garages with parts washers in competition with a large company and the fluid they used was paraffin with an additive that turned it brown and improved the evaporation time.

So if you don't like the water soluble new stuff just use paraffin and keep it warm lol.

Cheers

Ian

Used a few so called degreasers and nothing water based comes close to Bilt Hamber surfex-HD. Used neat it is brill. for really messy stuff I use Paraffin then a wash down with surfex-HD diluted 5 or 10 -1. Bit pricey but is kind enough to Aluminium and plastic and rubber. Get it in the 5Lt bottle lasts ages.

Rob B

Used a few so called degreasers and nothing water based comes close to Bilt Hamber surfex-HD. Used neat it is brill. for really messy stuff I use Paraffin then a wash down with surfex-HD diluted 5 or 10 -1. Bit pricey but is kind enough to Aluminium and plastic and rubber. Get it in the 5Lt bottle lasts ages.

Rob B

Interesting tip thanks !

Cheers

Ian

Rob B

Interesting tip thanks !

Cheers

Ian

forgot to mention, use it hot 50-70 C