Speedometer stopped working.

Breadsnapper

Going to work today and notices the Speedo needle doing a little jig. Then it stopped working as did the odometer.

Had a look on line and the sensor which controls the Speedo is on the left side of the engine and the connector for it on the right near the top radiator hose but not really sure as searches.for 1998 CBR throws up the F4. Anyone got any experience of this problem and how's it best resolved.

Cheers

Dave

Going to work today and notices the Speedo needle doing a little jig. Then it stopped working as did the odometer.

Had a look on line and the sensor which controls the Speedo is on the left side of the engine and the connector for it on the right near the top radiator hose but not really sure as searches.for 1998 CBR throws up the F4. Anyone got any experience of this problem and how's it best resolved.

Cheers

Dave

Hi check the sensor, this might help

1502574092_sensor1.thumb.JPG.d54fbc65d9185d73247bb0cc8b36103b.JPG

430388222_Sensor2.thumb.JPG.a852ec5b980d3504f570c6f4c84ddab7.JPG

Cheers for that. Have to wait till weekend as it doesn't look a simple fix. I am hoping it's njustbyhe connection as I drained and filled the coolant and inevitably got a load on the connector when bleeding the system.

Again thanks.

Dave

Cheers for that. Have to wait till weekend as it doesn't look a simple fix. I am hoping it's njustbyhe connection as I drained and filled the coolant and inevitably got a load on the connector when bleeding the system.

Again thanks.

Dave

Could be just that, have a look at the connectors first before you start pulling things off :wink:

Again thanks.

Dave

Could be just that, have a look at the connectors first before you start pulling things off :wink:

Yeah that's my plan, but we all know it won't be the easy fix, sod's law or something.

:scratch: I may be wrong but does it have a speedo sensor plate on sprocket shaft ??? If so is it loose ?does anyone know do they have that type ??

Yeah it does, think it sits just in front of the front sprocket. That's bthe expensive but almost 200 quid new if you can get one or around 20 on eBay again if you can get one.

Its definitely electronic

Item 15 here https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4842130/cbr600fw-1998-e/meter

If water gets in the connectors it can stop it working

I already checked it out but they don't behave it in stock. I'm guessing it screws in and connects to the connector behind the radiator hose.

I already checked it out but they don't behave it in stock. I'm guessing it screws in and connects to the connector behind the radiator hose.

they usually push in and are held by a screw :thumb:

they usually push in and are held by a screw :thumb:

Looking at the diagram it's two bolts.

@MrPickwick what manual are the diagrams.from? Seems a lot better than the Haynes one.

Dave

Yes matey ,it's from the USA one, I have the Haynes Manual but its always better to cross match with the USA one , Its on a PDF which I can PM to you , slight differences but they are only in the wiring , I find the USA one a little bit more comprehensive , give me a couple of minutes and I'll load up and send it to you :wink:

@MrPickwick what manual are the diagrams.from? Seems a lot better than the Haynes one.

Dave

Yes matey ,it's from the USA one, I have the Haynes Manual but its always better to cross match with the USA one , Its on a PDF which I can PM to you , slight differences but they are only in the wiring , I find the USA one a little bit more comprehensive , give me a couple of minutes and I'll load up and send it to you :wink:

Cheers for that

Dave

Update, cleaned all the connectors and applied wd40 and left it over night. This morning still wouldn't work. Before I left for work I took the fuse out and applied WD-40 to the fuse block. Now it's working again, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies and help

Dave.