The perfect course gift for a beginner rider

Hi everyone

I'm Isabella and this Christmas I want to give my boyfriend a great motorbike-related-gift. He dreamt of having a motorbike for years and finally in May 2018 he was able to purchase one, after getting a licence. He currently rides a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and really enjoys going out for rides in the countryside. We went to Wales for a weekend (we live in London) and that's the longest trip he has made. He regularly does London-Brighton as he works there once a week. For Christmas I'd like to gift him a safe ride course, for him to improve his skills a bit and feel even more confident on his bike. What kind of course do you recommend and what price should I expect? I was thinking of a one-day thing, just to start and to see if that's something for him, but let me know if that doesn't make sense.

I looked up on the internet and got really confused as there seem to be so many options. The one that convinced me most was this one: http://www.bikesafe-london.co.uk/courses/bikesafe-about.html

It's a one day course run by the Metropolitan Police but it's impossible to book at the moment and the only option is to join a waiting list. Any advice? We are based in South London.

Any kind of help is really appreciated!

Thank you,

Isabella

Bike safe is quite good.

Have you considered a track day? It's incredible fun, safe and is very good for improving rider skill. Especially if you take advantage of the 1:1 track tuition available through most track day suppliers e.g. Motorsport Vision, Nolimits, etc.

Bike safe is quite good.

Have you considered a track day? It's incredible fun, safe and is very good for improving rider skill. Especially if you take advantage of the 1:1 track tuition available through most track day suppliers e.g. Motorsport Vision, Nolimits, etc.

Hey, thanks! My initial idea was actually a track day but then a rider friend of his recommended a safe guide course instead as the track day might be a bit challenging for him as he says he is a beginner and has only ride one bike so far. Do you disagree with him?

Guest Richzx6r

As there are 3 groups on a trackday you would put him in the novice group and there is free tuition at most trackday so he may be more cost effective than a road course.

But there are novice only days too so that may be another avenue to look at

As there are 3 groups on a trackday you would put him in the novice group and there is free tuition at most trackday so he may be more cost effective than a road course.

But there are novice only days too so that may be another avenue to look at

Free tuition at most track days? All I've found are very expensive track days so I guess I am looking in the wrong places! Where should I look? Happy to give him a trackday if there is a kind of training involved.

Have a look at the companies I mentioned earlier...

Rich is right, MotorSportVision (probably others too) often have free group instruction on riding techniques throughout the day - you can of course pay for individual tuition either by the session (generally 20 mins), half day or full day.

Novice only days are great, nice and relaxed without too much ego bollocks that you get in multi level days. I've seen all sorts on novice days from guys on 250cc bikes having just passed their test to grey beards hacking around on naked muscle bikes.

Guest Richzx6r

I go with no limits trackdays as one of my friends was an instructor for them a few years ago and they're days are normally pretty friendly, and normally not too bad price wise

For trackdays i would suggest castle combe . brilliant for novices as only 12 people on track at one time during sessions . 10 minute sessions. Instructors are brilliant and down to earth not expecting you to be rossi by the end of your first session

Maybe consider the IAM course for the price it's great. Many months of social meets and one to one training with an observer and observed group rides. I have signed up and it's really sociable and they will aim the learning to suit the riders experience.