I found a CHEAP route to gaining a full bike licence!

You dont need a license for hanggliding.....but i still pay for training!

Going into the test without any skills is just asking for disaster. An off, or worse, an injury are likely.

Dont be a tight arse and pay for decent training. No point going 70mph if you dont know how to stop!

• 1 year later...

I mean theoretically you could take your full A license this way if you wanted to, you’d need a bike that meets the minimum for the full unrestricted license that can be restricted down to A2 restrictions possibly through a throttle restriction and ride down to take your tests on that and derestrict it on site but I’m guessing that would probably invalidate your insurance, but for an A2 I’d rather take the training and only do the tests if the instructor is confident you’d pass.

If you can build a Time Machine you can go back to 1971 and the test will only cost you £3.25!

Look for a 17 year old me and I'll even lend you my Vespa SS180. 8-)

Vespa! 6275.gif

I mean theoretically you could take your full A license this way if you wanted to, you’d need a bike that meets the minimum for the full unrestricted license that can be restricted down to A2 restrictions possibly through a throttle restriction and ride down to take your tests on that and derestrict it on site but I’m guessing that would probably invalidate your insurance, but for an A2 I’d rather take the training and only do the tests if the instructor is confident you’d pass.

De-restrict the bike before a test? I won't want to be the brave one who would do that, imagine something went wrong when you are out on the road! Plus the examiner would see the candidate and the mechanic (unless the candidate is THE mechanic to save more pennies on this hypothetical) working on the bike to get it ready for the test, if somehow they let the candidate take the mod1 test; come mod2, they would probably be asking all the Show Me Tell Me questions to make sure the bike is actually up to standard. I'm quite a newb when it comes to restricting bikes but surely there is more to it than just like say flipping a switch?

The fact that Copycat73 and Run13 hasn't been back since the original post is they have either passed their tests and didn't want to gloat or they died out on the road with their modified bikes. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

De-restrict the bike before a test? I won't want to be the brave one who would do that, imagine something went wrong when you are out on the road! Plus the examiner would see the candidate and the mechanic (unless the candidate is THE mechanic to save more pennies on this hypothetical) working on the bike to get it ready for the test, if somehow they let the candidate take the mod1 test; come mod2, they would probably be asking all the Show Me Tell Me questions to make sure the bike is actually up to standard. I'm quite a newb when it comes to restricting bikes but surely there is more to it than just like say flipping a switch?

The fact that Copycat73 and Run13 hasn't been back since the original post is they have either passed their tests and didn't want to gloat or they died out on the road with their modified bikes. :shock:

I’ve got a level 2 but it’s mainly for cars but same can be applied for bikes too, if it’s a throttle-stop restriction it’s dead easy to remove pre-test, couple screws on the carb and it’s off, it’s pretty much just a metal plate that stops the throttle being applied 100%

• 5 months later...

Hi all can any one help I just failed my mod2 test which I paid £670 and now they want £250 for me to take it again does any one know of any cheaper options. I am not made of money is there any way to cut the cost I am an experience motorcycle rider and all the time in the training all they said is you dont really need the training you will pass I passed my mod 1 first time.

Wow, really. People here like to play it super ultra safe. You all are assuming most people are totally inexperienced. You can learn Module1 and 2 on youtube! Get familiar with it and that's it.

That is, for anyone who already can ride geared motorcycles, who have a good amount of experience.

Found a website that gives insurance to people who are going to take their test, so I'm applying for that. Paying 500, 600, 700 or more for A license? Nah...

You guys are either shilling for those overpriced courses or you're just too naive.

Hi could you send me the detail for the insurance company.

Wow, really. People here like to play it super ultra safe. You all are assuming most people are totally inexperienced. You can learn Module1 and 2 on youtube! Get familiar with it and that's it.

That is, for anyone who already can ride geared motorcycles, who have a good amount of experience.

Found a website that gives insurance to people who are going to take their test, so I'm applying for that. Paying 500, 600, 700 or more for A license? Nah...

You guys are either shilling for those overpriced courses or you're just too naive.

Hi could you send me the detail for the insurance company.

Don’t think you will get an answer. Run13 has not been on the forum since Feb 2018!

Hi all can any one help I just failed my mod2 test which I paid £670 and now they want £250 for me to take it again does any one know of any cheaper options. I am not made of money is there any way to cut the cost I am an experience motorcycle rider and all the time in the training all they said is you dont really need the training you will pass I passed my mod 1 first time.

Yeah, don't fail!

How experienced are you and what did you fail on?

I never rode a bike before...bought a cg passed CBT and rode for 2 years to get road sense ..as I found when u ride a bike for a while u see that car van taxi lorry drivers are arshholes ....then I rode a Sachs for 9 months before passing my test after just 5 lessons.I say the cg riding was most important to my learning start than any lessons.and u only learn as u ride.to do test and ride a proper bike without experience and with a cocky attitude I'd say ull be in a box in weeks.u MUST treat the bike with upmost respect at all times and look and be prepared for possible balls up to happen.ride safe ride happy ..be nice to hear on the pass rate for the "quick way to pass test " and survival rate :crybaby:

• 10 months later...

Interesting all the comments!

Poor lad didn’t deserve to be targeted by some of the users on this site

I’m 57, riding all my adult life & been training my 50 yr old sister on my 600 fazer, (off rd). She’s been riding 125 (cbt) for a while & is in the same position whereas we don’t want to pay £600 for training & just interested in having insurance for taking the test. As a family we have been riding off road for many years & don’t see anything wrong with taking the test without professional training, it doesn’t make you a poor rider. This is just our opinion & I respect the other users that have their own opinions

Thankyou 😎

A very old thread!!

Reading through it he seems to think he can just learn everything he needs off of youtube to pass the test without any actual training :roll:

I think that says everything thats needed :lol: