Deported From Spain?

XTreme

Obviously there's a lot of discussion going on everywhere at the moment due to Brexit......and it's possible ramifications. Particularly for those of us abroad! So I just want to clear up once and for all how it affects us!

Now for some it will be catastrophic! I just saw this on Twitter from a Brit in Spain!

We will probably have to return because we only have our pensions. The worst thing for us is the reciprocal health. As a cancer survivor any insurance premiums will be too expensive. The worst thing is that we have family here and provide childcare. I could weep.

But we're different!

First off......I come from a different environment and upbringing to a lot of them. When you're born in Swansea during the postwar years you don't get any breaks. That place is the graveyard of ambition, so you learn to watch your back and trust nobody. Particularly those in authority!

15 years ago when we were first considering Spain, we planned that we would never be dependent on Britain for anything. Because I always suspected they would try to screw me out of my pension anyway.

However, I've now just started getting a UK pension (they were gutted to find out I was still alive).....but I also have my own business (in the wife's name) that I brought with me from Britain. And I always planned to continue working anyway, as that brings in much, much more than the Brit pension. And it's not exactly physical.....just tapping a keyboard and clicking a mouse!

We've paid into the system here for 14 years as permanent residents so healthcare is covered.....and it's very good. Wife had a hip replacement two years ago and she only had to wait 3 months. So no difference to health cover!

Stronger Pound means more pension......in fact if it goes back to what it was in 2005 I'd get about €400 a month more. Result!

Stronger Pound means our prices look even more attractive to UK clients......in fact we could even increase them and UK businesses would still be paying less. Result!

Mass exodus of elderly Brits returning and selling properties for whatever they can? Less Brits (which is always a bonus) and we could well pick up a bargain property because we're looking to buy something with land for the horses! Result!

So really, we could actually gain from it......because we did things the right way.

Those depending on Pensions and reciprocal healthcare are facing enormous problems.....and I do feel sorry for them. Unfortunately they based their future on how things were at the time......not what they could be. We didn't make that mistake!

Those who are winging it under the radar here are completely screwed and I've got no sympathy for them whatsoever. We've paid 14 years of Taxes, Social Security, and IVA (VAT)........we've contributed to this country......they haven't. So Spain isn't going to bale them out! In fact, if anybody is going to get deported it'll be that lot! And I suspect there's hundreds of thousands of them.

So to sum up how we are different to the others is that we didn't come here as Expats......we came here as Immigrants! There's a big difference!

That's how it is for me! Business as usual......and you'll still continue to enjoy the photos as you have in the past. 8-)

I have a feeling that expats or British immigrants living in EU countries will have little or nothing done that will affect their lives, at the same time EU citizens who are resident, living and working here will also be afforded the same protections. I sincerely hope so anyway, anything else would be an utter scandal and the Tories know this. They're not going give this important aspect of leaving the EU anything other than win win for both sides.

If the worst comes to the worst and the Spanish make it hard for the remaining Brits there, [mention]XTreme[/mention] could always start up a motorcycle tour company and offer B&B in his stables along with a hefty discount for TMBF members to make ends meet. :thumb:

I knew you had a sensible post in you 😁

Yes it does look like you have it sorted and hope brexit doesn't restrict the ride pics :thumb:

The only thing that'll restrict the ride pics is rain, cold, snow, or high winds!

So I'm not in the clear yet! :lol:

I have a feeling that expats or British immigrants living in EU countries will have little or nothing done that will affect their lives, at the same time EU citizens who are resident, living and working here will also be afforded the same protections. I sincerely hope so anyway, anything else would be an utter scandal and the Tories know this. They're not going give this important aspect of leaving the EU anything other than win win for both sides.

If the worst comes to the worst and the Spanish make it hard for the remaining Brits there, @XTreme could always start up a motorcycle tour company and offer B&B in his stables along with a hefty discount for TMBF members to make ends meet. :thumb:

I'm pretty much what they want......because I bring money into the country rather than circulate the same money around.

Same goes for Brit estate agents, tour companies etc.

And of course without a vid it never happened!

A roads, Motorways, small town, and rural village! And all deserted!

Had to pick up the pace now and again......that Forced Repatriation van was on my tail again! :lol:

Of course the question we should ask is WHY it's all deserted? Like most European countries Spain has huge social issues with migration to the cities from the more rural areas, separatist regions in the north (sounds familiar) and fairly high unemployment too. Sadly despite what politicians of all stripes would have you believe there is no quick or easy fix. Just live for the day.

Of course the question we should ask is WHY it's all deserted?

I live in a very small town in a very remote area.....there is no local bus service, nearest railway station 100kms, and nearest city 160kms. No English spoken whatsoever.

I'm sure half the town doesn't even know Franco is dead!

I live in a very small town in a very remote area.....there is no local bus service, nearest railway station 100kms, and nearest city 160kms. No English spoken whatsoever.

Sounds like Norfolk

Sounds like Norfolk

Nah, he didn't mention anything about extra fingers or webbed feet. :lol:

Sounds like Norfolk

Nah, he didn't mention anything about extra fingers or webbed feet. :lol:

This place is way past those deformities......it's Midget Central here!

https://www.elespanol.com/reportajes/grandes-historias/20170519/217228671_0.html