Bike cutting out when setting off at first.

James in Brum

Hello groovy gang.

I’m my zzr600 always needs the choke to start. According to the knowledgeable [mention]fastbob[/mention] It is an enricher not a choke. When the bike starts the revs climb quickly to 6000 revs if the lever for choke thingy is fully open. I often close the lever part way so as not to disturb the neighbours.

Whether the choke is open part way, not at all or fully when I put the bike into gear and release the clutch the engine stops. I can super gently let out the clutch and there comes a point where the engine cuts out. I can be Erving it up to 6000 revs or just 1500 and the same things happen.

After a couple of attempts to get going and starting the engine again I’m off. I’ve tried with the bike already moving and no difference.

Is it just the engine needs more warming up? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a maintenance issue?

I can start without choke but it won’t stay started sorry should have said.

Thank you for your comments.

Yep , my first reaction too . As well as freeing the plunger up with some WD40 followed by some light oil . OK , I've just deleted the rest of this post now that I've had a look at some pictures that show how the thing operates . I was hoping there would be a tab that could be bent to make the switch push further in but there isn't . So I would concentrate not only on ensuring that the switch operates feely but whether there is a good circuit . It might be less hassle to simply replace the switch with an aftermarket item to be honest .

Polish_20191215_203904370.thumb.jpg.80e0cf0312babbc0208f40d63031da5a.jpg

I'd grab this one quick ( looks the same ) Wemoto want £48 for a pattern one ! This is assuming that this is the cause of the problem of course . https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303375675559

Screenshot_20191215-204606.thumb.png.2db9e8f3a4ad606a4c8ab84a2f81910a.png

If you can manage to kick your stand up every time you set off then just get rid of it.

Eh ? Oh you mean the switch ! Yep , definitely an option . On the other hand , if the stand digs in during a sharp left turn it could end in tears .

I'd just check things by allowing the engine to idle and warm up for a minute before moving off. In cold weather my CBF will often fire without choke but won't drive off from cold without stalling until it's warmed up a bit.

I fire the engine, give it a bit of throttle until it will idle, then put on my gloves, by which time it's ready to ride.

If it pulls ok when it's warmed up then it's just a case of a cold engine. If it cuts out when warmed up then it's more likely to be a dodgy side stand switch.

by the way @James in Brum your choke needs adjusting as its revving way too high :wink:

If is anything like my Kwack. The choke initially works as on or off.

No choke no start. Half choke no start. Full choke starts and revs to 5 / 6000.

Frantically adjusting choke to get revs to a realistic level.

Think it is a kwack thing my GT750’s were the same.

by the way @James in Brum your choke needs adjusting as its revving way too high :wink:

Do you think tweaking the Pilot Air Screws or replacing a partially blocked air filter would have any influence ?

When the bike was picked up by the insurance company the driver said he was an ex Bike Mechanic and asked me, without prompt, if the choke did the thing where it revs up really high at first. I said yes, he said it is a kwak thing and it is something to do with getting the oil moving around the engine or something.

When the bike was picked up by the insurance company the driver said he was an ex Bike Mechanic and asked me, without prompt, if the choke did the thing where it revs up really high at first. I said yes, he said it is a kwak thing and it is something to do with getting the oil moving around the engine or something.

I've always thought this odd. I know folk who rev a cold engine to circulate the oil but I've always let a cold engine idle for a short period before revving it. Maybe I'm wrong but my engines tend to last a long time.

I don't think you're wrong; my gpz900 was exactly the same, as was the zxr 750 until I gave the carbs a really good going over. Now it's not quite so bad.

Try bypassing the side stand switch, follow the wiring from the side stand to the connector on the harness , pull the connector out , and on the harness side of the connector insert a wire into the connector joining the Black/Yellow and Green/White wires that will bypass the side stand switch, then try moving off if it stalls again then its not the sidestand switch :wink: