motorbike price guide

Pbassred

All the print versions have gone. I used to buy Parkers for cars. There was also glass. What replaced them? Recently I found www.thebikemarket, but they don't have a mileage calculator so its just year and model.

I don't really see the point of these guides anymore for the average buyer. (or seller)

when you have so many sellers (private and dealerships) at your fingertips its easy enough to work out an average value for any bike. So, if you're buying then you put your own value on the bike based on what the average is.. plus what added (or subtracted) value there is due to accessories or damage. As its so easy to - in moments; price up parts and accessories.. or find out if they are even available anymore. Same applies if you are selling.

I think these guides have become an antiquated irrelevance.

Insurers have no interest in the real world. they only look at risk and maximising the returns for their underwriters. if you claim they will make damn sure that they pay out the absolute minimum. And then ensure they claw as much as possible of what they paid back in increased premiums. As a consequence of that the values they place are nowhere near 'real world' and i would think have nothing in common with any available trade 'guide'.

I think the internet killed printed price guides. Autotrader, for example, state if the price is a good price. Dealers tell me this has cut their margins because it drives prices down. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but the last dealer who told me that has just gone bust. Interestingly he refused to use Autotrader.

I agree with everything Gerontious wrote - spot on sir!

Last year m c e valued my (real world £3000) bike at £1500, less excess, and sold it on as a cat s for around £1300 - bunch of crooks, made a killing out of my misfortune.

Glass's guide and the CAP Black Book are still out there but only available to the trade, and I think there was a minimum subscription - 6 or 12 months I'm not sure.

yeah but, You can only learn the average advertised price. Not what they sold for (or didn't). I've only sold one bike. It took 4 weeks to go and I had to drop several hundred. I also had call from dealers offering half its advertised price. If I had settled it would have pulled down the average. So Advertised price is probably not a good guide to selling price.

Unless we know how much a dealer typically loads the price.

yeah but, You can only learn the average advertised price. Not what they sold for (or didn't). I've only sold one bike. It took 4 weeks to go and I had to drop several hundred. I also had call from dealers offering half its advertised price. If I had settled it would have pulled down the average. So Advertised price is probably not a good guide to selling price.

For average sold prices, ebay is a good place to look because you can toggle the filters to only show listings that have sold. It's great if your trying to sell a bike, because the weather can have an impact on the buying demand (less people buy in the winter), which can be reflected in the price.

Same goes for soft top cars etc, whereas parker's and other guides just give an average price

For average sold prices, ebay is a good place to look because you can toggle the filters to only show listings that have sold. It's great if your trying to sell a bike, because the weather can have an impact on the buying demand (less people buy in the winter), which can be reflected in the price.

Same goes for soft top cars etc, whereas parker's and other guides just give an average price

Great tip. I'd forgotten the Sold/Ended option

👍

I think the internet killed printed price guides. Autotrader, for example, state if the price is a good price. Dealers tell me this has cut their margins because it drives prices down. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but the last dealer who told me that has just gone bust. Interestingly he refused to use Autotrader.

autotrader are robbing b*^tards,

It seems to me there's no real buyer/seller price guide in so much as a 2012 bike can go for the same price as say a 2008 bike.

When I was looking for the BMW F800st there we're bikes of very differing years for basically the same price and it was just random with no real pattern.