Best thing about riding a motorcycle ?

Gsx750f boy

I’m a newbie on a YBR 125 that tops out at 55mph-if i’m lucky. I look forward to passing my test and getting something with a bit more grunt. The YBR is a great bike to ride, but I get fed up with cars following too close and right up my dung funnel. Closer than they ever would if I was on 4 wheels doing the same speed. It’s almost a ‘get out the bloody way you’re only a motorbike’ superior sort of psychology.

Riding motorbikes is nuts ! You have to be nuts to do it but its tremendous for all the reasons already mentioned . Not mentioned yet is riding 100+ miles for breakfast to swap stories with other nuts who've ridden 100+ miles for breakfast :lol: :thumb:

Riding motorbikes is nuts ! You have to be nuts to do it but its tremendous for all the reasons already mentioned . Not mentioned yet is riding 100+ miles for breakfast to swap stories with other nuts who've ridden 100+ miles for breakfast :lol: :thumb:

Used to ride from Cardigan in West Wales to Matlock Bath to go on a Rideout most weekends... and back

That was in the same day ....

Screenshot_20191225-183256.thumb.png.3b868b9beb3c967583cc82285a630d5b.png

No matter how bad a day it's been the ride home from work clears my mind. Chatting to like minded folk who you've never met before on a ride out. The fact that I know unless you've spent an absolute fortune you're car will never match the speed and sensation of riding 21 year old 1400 quid bike.

Best things about riding a motorbike:-

1) The experience. The feeling of freedom, being exposed to the elements, having views of your surroundings unrestricted by door pillars or interior fittings, the excitement of riding the bike - the engine noise, the wind roar around your helmet, the smell of petrol/oil/whatever your surroundings are. Way more interesting than driving a car. Its second only to flying an aeroplane IMO. It makes me feel alive!

2) The machinery. Whether its a 50cc scooter or a 1-litre Japanese space shuttle on wheels, all bikes are truly fascinating. Ongoing care and maintenance is also part of the enjoyment for me, like grown-ups' meccano.

3) The brotherhood. Its nice when bikers nod at each other out on the road and always say hello and have some polite chat when meeting in cafes, car parks or wherever, and are eager to help another biker in need with whatever. So much more civilised than car motoring where everyone is out to kill each other seemingly and nobody cares a jot about their fellow motorist.

4) The economy. I can't speak for bigger bikes but my 125 costs naff-all to run. 15 quid fills the tank and that does me 300 miles on average. Many smiles per gallon!

5) Scooting past traffic hold-ups at choke points and getting home quicker.

6) The girls do indeed love it as my wife attests to... ;)

Speaking as someone with Asperger's who works in an environment where I'm pushing my boundaries all day by interacting with dozens of people , it's a joy to get out on my bike where there's just me , the bike and the road . A long bike ride is like a form of healing meditation for me . There's nothing going on in my conscious mind except the unfolding present while my unconscious mind presumably takes a well earned rest . I love touring in my beloved Scotland because of the fact that I can just bungee a bag on my bike , lock the front door , turn left at the end of my drive and just do what I love until I end up somewhere like this .

Well said Bob

1) The experience. The feeling of freedom, being exposed to the elements, having views of your surroundings unrestricted by door pillars or interior fittings, the excitement of riding the bike - the engine noise, the wind roar around your helmet, the smell of petrol/oil/whatever your surroundings are. Way more interesting than driving a car. Its second only to flying an aeroplane IMO. It makes me feel alive!

2) The machinery. Whether its a 50cc scooter or a 1-litre Japanese space shuttle on wheels, all bikes are truly fascinating. Ongoing care and maintenance is also part of the enjoyment for me, like grown-ups' meccano.

3) The brotherhood. Its nice when bikers nod at each other out on the road and always say hello and have some polite chat when meeting in cafes, car parks or wherever, and are eager to help another biker in need with whatever. So much more civilised than car motoring where everyone is out to kill each other seemingly and nobody cares a jot about their fellow motorist.

4) The economy. I can't speak for bigger bikes but my 125 costs naff-all to run. 15 quid fills the tank and that does me 300 miles on average. Many smiles per gallon!

I'm right there with you on the brotherhood thing but I sincerely hope that you never run into Mark W . "As for the worst thing about riding a motorcycle? Probably the assumption from other bikers that the mere fact we use the same mode of transport must mean I'm desperate to strike up an inane conversation. If I wanted to talk to strangers I'd have taken the f*cking bus. Go away and leave me alone" I'm sure he's only joking .

I'm right there with you on the brotherhood thing but I sincerely hope that you never run into Mark W . "As for the worst thing about riding a motorcycle? Probably the assumption from other bikers that the mere fact we use the same mode of transport must mean I'm desperate to strike up an inane conversation. If I wanted to talk to strangers I'd have taken the f*cking bus. Go away and leave me alone" I'm sure he's only joking .

It's not what it was though Bob......back in the 70's you were all together irrespective of what you rode. A bike was a bike was a bike!

Now it's been segmented by the manufacturers so they can sell bikes into the different niches......thereby creating different social groups for each one.

Now add in the elitist mindset cultivated by BMW and Harley's lifestyle marketing......and it's all over the place!

To be fair I am very much a rookie biker and have only been riding since August 2018 so I am very much lacking in experience; I couldn't comment on lifestyle marketing or fancy makes or different groups, however to me a bike is a bike and its just an interest of mine. 8-)

As for anybody that doesn't want to chat etc. - fair enough, we're not all sociable types, that's their bag. :angel12:

To be fair I am very much a rookie biker and have only been riding since August 2018 so I am very much lacking in experience; I couldn't comment on lifestyle marketing or fancy makes or different groups, however to me a bike is a bike and its just an interest of mine. 8-)

As for anybody that doesn't want to chat etc. - fair enough, we're not all sociable types, that's their bag. :angel12:

Some people get bikes and talk about freedom and individuality as being primary motivation to get one.

Then spend the rest of their life trying to belong and fit in to a particular segment of the market!

Even down to wearing the same f@cking branded clothing!

15 years ago the Beemer crew weren't impressed by my tatty jeans and steel toe caps! Even less when I wore my battered 25 year old leather jacket as well! :lol:

bmh.jpg.e49eb855abf34dfbf1c6a6aa4a16da08.jpg

And you know what......I'm still wearing them today! While their official brand merchandise has fallen apart!

Some people get bikes and talk about freedom and individuality as being primary motivation to get one.

Then spend the rest of their life trying to belong and fit in to a particular segment of the market!

15 years ago the Beemer crew weren't impressed by my tatty jeans and steel toe caps! Even less when I wore my battered 25 year old leather jacket as well! :lol:

bmh.jpg

And you know what......I'm still wearing them today! While their official brand merchandise has fallen apart!

I like the Alan bast*rd impression lol... :lol:

bmh.jpg

I like the Alan bast*rd impression lol... :lol:

Damn.....I was trying to look like Steve McQueen! :lol:

Same with Sportster Sickness FB group . The great majority seem to buy Sportsters and then they all do exactly the same modifications so that all their bikes look the same . For those who are interested the modifications are , tank lift , wire tuck , fender chop , fender strut shortening , side mount plate , short exhaust , flat bars , lowered shocks , belt guard removed , sprung saddle , coil relocation , forward pegs , exhaust wrap , small air filter , swing arm bag and of course the whole lot " Blacked out " in Vivid Black . The result is that they all look the same and they all look bloody ugly . Freedom man !

Polish_20191228_110805136.thumb.png.1d2680d5a334f07df527026de1309f08.png

Edited by fastbob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You know that but where you are leaning over slightly to one side and then as you change direction you come through vertical to lean the other way, like coming off a roundabout.

Don’t have to be fast to do it or enjoy it. Had a few like that today and made me smile

It's so much fun, even small bikes, and I kinda like travelling alone as it's relaxing and I don't have to be thinking of anyone else (in cars, busses etc. there are always other people). For me riding de-stresses me also. I don't know about other people, or it's just me, lol?