Brake disc deposits

Phill

Hey guys,

I have noticed some deposits on my brake discs, how can I get rid of them? Could it be the reason why I feel a slight judder at low speeds when braking? Sometimes I feel it, sometimes I dont. It's annoying.

These are relatively new discs, bought second hand, fitted by the garage and tested, no warping at the point.

I had the same problem with my old discs which were scored and shot.

The brakepads are relatively new, sinthered goldfren.

Any suggestions?

20191227_100940.thumb.jpg.6491205b8cf10b59526c2cc388e9bfc3.jpg

20191227_100944.thumb.jpg.80977c7d44ded761dc7616a675e66b0f.jpg

Hey guys,

I have noticed some deposits on my brake discs, how can I get rid of them?

Any suggestions?

yes.. use them and they will wear off.. or not, it hardly matters.

this is only a problem because you think it is.. not because it actually is.

When I've mot'd the bike it showed up a slight fluctuation of brake effort in the front brakes... I Hoped that changing the discs will cure it, it did but briefly, then it started again...

I'm curious that it appears your first thought would be changing the discs - unless they were worn out, damaged or warped, they would be the last thing I would change.

Always best to start with the simple/cheap stuff - like pads, fluid and bleeding, and cleaning/returning the calipers.

I get this on my K100 because it has discs made of cast iron that rust like mad, if I were to go to an MOT place that tested the brakes on rollers then it would be a real problem because it does not stop smoothly at all. Your discs look very much like "Kagizume" brand which also rust quickly, and you are not helping by fitting pads that will also rust. EBC and Brembo discs will also rust in a similar manner.

If it bothers you or you refuse to use the bike more regularly then there be a cupp'la fings wot you can do:

1) Fit standard kevlar/organic brake pads which won't rust/react nearly as much with the disc when wet.

2) Fit some original discs which are closer to stainless and much more resistant to rusting.

Good luck with the Kagizumes by the way, mine lasted about two years before warping so much that the MOT guy was nearly thrown out of the seat while testing it on the rollers.. His face was a picture!

I have changed the discs because apparently the old ones were warped when I've got the bike checked at the garage, so I bought these ones off flea bay(£50 for the pair 6 months old new), because I have been quoted £400 for the discs, without labour :crybaby: .

I'll try new organic brakepads and fresh brake fluid, when I send the bike in to have the chain and sprockets changed.

Lucky it's not noticeable at high speeds regardless of braking force, just at 5-20 mph slowing down at the lights/junctions.

I'm using the bike to commute so using the bike is not a problem.