Is this socket set ok for bikes?

I'm thinking of buying this torque wrench https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-torque-wrench-3-8-x-14/5848v and maybe this socket set https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-3-8-drive-socket-set-40-pcs/3503x to do things like learn to change oil filter, remove wheels, perhaps strip calipers. Are they ok?

I've had one of those Screwfix torque wrenches since I was 15ish so 20 odd years (shit!). It still works in so far as it clicks when a torque is reached - no idea how accurate it is though!

Nowadays I'd buy Teng or Halfords pro but that's only because I really rate Teng and they're great value for money. Similar story with Halfords too.

Will probably do the job adequately, as said anything from Halfords/Screwfix/Toolstation etc. will probably do for most things DIY.

Mrs.125 bought me a 25-piece set from Halfords for Xmas, was rather chuffed.

Is this the right size for a general starter set, 3/8"?

As they say, size isn't everything. Nothing wrong with 3/8" if it's good quality. Personally I'd check the price of the Halfords Pro range at the moment. It may be a little bit more but from experience it's virtually unbreakable. I once cracked a socket doing something at huge torque and they swapped it without quibble.

I have one of those torque wrenches but I'm not sure they are very accurate at the lower end. I only use it for bigger stuff and have a Halfords Pro one which is designed for low torque applications for finer stuff. I used to rebuild car engines so getting settings of 8Nm on camshaft journals was essential. But for wheel nuts it's probably fine. I never use a torque wrench for bigger stuff anyway.

Yeah, 3/8" is a good size that covers most of the range you'll need. 1/4" is a nice size for little bits and bobs - I use mine quite a lot. Don't think I touch my 1/2" stuff much at all.

You don't "need" six sided sockets by the way although they do tend to round off cheap or rusted fastenings less readily than 12 points.

Hex sockets give you a much better chance of getting tight nuts off, multi spline sockets tend to round the corners.

I never thought of that, I may add a couple of hex ones to my set for the commonly used sizes (for me, 14, 17 and 19mm).

Yeah, 3/8" is a good size that covers most of the range you'll need. 1/4" is a nice size for little bits and bobs - I use mine quite a lot. Don't think I touch my 1/2" stuff much at all.

You don't "need" six sided sockets by the way although they do tend to round off cheap or rusted fastenings less readily than 12 points.

Well that would suggest that there is s very great need to have them unless you enjoy tackling rounded off fasteners .

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a Hilka 3/8" metric set off Amazon. No torque wrench or imperial sockets, yet

You getting a Harley then ?

Well done.

Why would you want imperial sockets ?

Er, I assumed that some bolts on a Honda cbf1000 or a kawasaki zzr1400 would perhaps be imperial? Take it that's not the case?

Well done.

Why would you want imperial sockets ?

Er, I assumed that some bolts on a Honda cbf1000 or a kawasaki zzr1400 would perhaps be imperial? Take it that's not the case?

Definitely not . That's why American Harley riders call all Japanese bikes " Metrics " Which is ironic really because I could list quite a few metric fasteners on a Harley . 🤔

Not used imperial sockets regularly since I sold my Hillman Hunter.

I still have a set of Metrinch spanner’s. They are good for rounded off fasteners as they grip on the flats and not the corners.

A full metrinch socket set would be ideal but they are a tad expensive.

Well that would suggest that there is s very great need to have them unless you enjoy tackling rounded off fasteners .

No, that's not the suggestion at all. I think poor quality or incorrectly sized 6 point sockets/tools are more likely to damage nuts/bolts/screws than decent, properly fitting 12 points.

Unless you have low quality or rusted fastenings... :-)

i keep wondering wether to buy some ratchet spanners or not and if so whats a good make :?:

I have the Halfords pro ratchet spanners. Not had any problems.

Also have these. 2505E9B8-FE24-4508-8D44-8AEE0DBDD806.thumb.jpeg.fa35dbcfb68644cfc281fbe8cb29dc03.jpeg but the levers to change rotation can move easily if caught causing bashed knuckles :shock:

Another vote for the Halfords pro ratchet spanner’s. Mine have been excellent. Just be aware that the ratchet mechanism isn’t included in the lifetime warranty. But you don’t use them on really tight stuff, loosen with a socket or normal spanner, then switch to the ratchet.

Another vote for the Halfords pro ratchet spanner’s. Mine have been excellent. Just be aware that the ratchet mechanism isn’t included in the lifetime warranty. But you don’t use them on really tight stuff, loosen with a socket or normal spanner, then switch to the ratchet.

So I need a set of spanners too??

So I need a set of spanners too??

Ideally, and Allen keys and JIS screwdrivers and tork drivers (if required on your bike). The list is never ending.

Also change your bike and you end up needing another socket for the rear axel.