Clutch Kit but which one?

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
QBoiii
Bike(s): YZF600R
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 21 times

Clutch Kit but which one?

Post by QBoiii » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi people,

Took my Thundercat out for a spin this morning amd noticed the clutch is almost non existant. It has been wearing down for a while but was almost unrideable today. Ive got a car mechanic background and have changed countless clutches in cars that come with everything. Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, cover and thrust bearing. Ive checked a video on the bike one which looks do-able but ordering the parts isn't that staight forward.

A few of the kits have just the friction disks in (which look to me like the parts that wear down and may be the only bits that need changing), some have them with springs and some have the steel plates aswell. The prices don't help, Yamparts had just the friction plates for £63.99, the steel plates separately for £35 but some of the parts on google have the whole lot for around £30?!?!

Do I just need to order the friction plates, the whole lot or am I betrer taking the old one apart and seeing whats happening down there?

I'm baffled and thanks in advance for the help

Q

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 3255 times
Been liked: 2859 times

Re: Clutch Kit but which one?

Post by Stu » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:04 pm

In my opinion the best option is to replace it all

Get steel plates from Yamaha and then buy EBC friction plates and EBC springs

avoid anything thats cheap you will buy twice
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

QBoiii

Post by QBoiii » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks very much Stu, Ill look into those now. I am going to just replace the whole lot. Saves taking it all apart again. I saw a Barretts kit (or similar name) but then checked a yzf forum which slated them. Its a shame no one seems to do a complete kit, with a car its just a quick phonecall to Europart and the whole lot is there 30 minutes later!

Snod Blatter
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E CB250N Two Fifty TRX850 K100RS Z250SL
Has liked: 1033 times
Been liked: 262 times

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:06 pm

In my opinion you'd be fine with just new friction plates and EBC ones don't last any longer than cheaper Kyoto ones.. Even the Gecko plates from Wemoto seem fine (don't get their steel plates though, they're not flat!).

Don't bother with the fancy kevlar plates unless you want a grabby clutch.

Stu
Site Admin

Post by Stu » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Barnett clutch?

I had one in my TL1000s they where a good clutch!

QBoiii

Post by QBoiii » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Snod Blatter wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:06 pm
In my opinion you'd be fine with just new friction plates and EBC ones don't last any longer than cheaper Kyoto ones.. Even the Gecko plates from Wemoto seem fine (don't get their steel plates though, they're not flat!).
Thank you! To be honest, given the time of year, Christmas just gone and next month being a 5 week month this is looking like what I'll be doing so this has given me some hope. I didn't mind the £65ish quid for the plates but then there's the Oil, gasket, may as well put a new filter on it, why not do the spark plugs etc.. it all adds up!
Stu wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:06 pm
Barnett clutch?

I had one in my TL1000s they where a good clutch!
Yeh thats the one! It was something to do with the size being wrong for the Thurndercat (11mm) so people where reporting they were rattling when fitted :-?

Stu
Site Admin

Post by Stu » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Just pretending to be a ducati then :lol:

If you're not going to replace the steels then I would make sure you check them all for signs of warpage etc as if the clutch is just slipping it will be causing a lot of heat on those plates and it doesn't take a lot to shag them

QBoiii

Post by QBoiii » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Stu wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:19 pm
Just pretending to be a ducati then :lol:

If you're not going to replace the steels then I would make sure you check them all for signs of warpage etc as if the clutch is just slipping it will be causing a lot of heat on those plates and it doesn't take a lot to shag them
Thank you again Stu! I'm going to get in the garage when the missus gets home and take it all apart and see what's what. I think the plates and the springs are essential but the steel plates need inspection like you said. Luckily Europart have a 50% sale on at the mo! Probably won't do the parts i need but at least the plugs and oil will be cheaper :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grumpy Old Git
Bike(s): Harley-Davidson FLFBS
Challenge score: 240
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 330 times

Post by Grumpy Old Git » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Plates as well as friction plates - It will save heartache long-term. And don't 'skimp' on the steel plates as cheap ones tend to warp easily.

8-)
Born to Ride - Especially BLUE (or Black) :D
Do unto others that which they would do unto you - But, do it first! :booty:
Challenge 100 2020: Pubs 5/10 Churches 7/10 Hoggs Bonus 2/15 Bonus Bonus 1/15 East of England 1/12

QBoiii

Post by QBoiii » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:45 pm

Grumpy Old Git wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:25 pm
Plates as well as friction plates - It will save heartache long-term. And don't 'skimp' on the steel plates as cheap ones tend to warp easily.

8-)
Thank you! Also they have to put up with my terrible riding :lol: :lol:

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 2798 times
Been liked: 2955 times

Post by fastbob » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 pm

QBoiii wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:01 pm
Hi people,

Took my Thundercat out for a spin this morning amd noticed the clutch is almost non existant. It has been wearing down for a while but was almost unrideable today. Ive got a car mechanic background and have changed countless clutches in cars that come with everything. Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, cover and thrust bearing. Ive checked a video on the bike one which looks do-able but ordering the parts isn't that staight forward.

A few of the kits have just the friction disks in (which look to me like the parts that wear down and may be the only bits that need changing), some have them with springs and some have the steel plates aswell. The prices don't help, Yamparts had just the friction plates for £63.99, the steel plates separately for £35 but some of the parts on google have the whole lot for around £30?!?!

Do I just need to order the friction plates, the whole lot or am I betrer taking the old one apart and seeing whats happening down there?

I'm baffled and thanks in advance for the help

Q
£30 for a complete clutch kit ? Either the decimal point is in the wrong place or that's the price of one plate . Here you go , stick one of these in . https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3290438741

QBoiii

Post by QBoiii » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:09 am

fastbob wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 pm

£30 for a complete clutch kit ? Either the decimal point is in the wrong place or that's the price of one plate . Here you go , stick one of these in . https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3290438741

Thanks Bob!! That was the exact thing I was hoping to find!

I was very dubious of the cheap price, probably Chinese crap

Ian Frog
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZRX1200R, 2003 Supercharged Busa, 2005 Busa
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 612 times

Post by Ian Frog » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:15 am

Just a quicky QBoii if you havent already started to dismantle things it is worth seeing if you can remove the clutch cover with the bike on the sidestand without dropping the oil.
Its a small saving but one that's worth trying.
Take a small sample of oil and magnet check plus visual for condition.
I found out a long time ago when racing one of the Busas that this worked and as I was changing friction plates and measuring stack thickness more than once per meeting it helped.
Also plus one for the Gecko plates from wemoto and Yam steel for flatness.
Cheers
Ian

QBoiii

Post by QBoiii » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am

That's a great idea, thanks @Ian Frog! Luckily i have some up-opened 10W-40 just in case but I'll try that! Tricks of the trade ay? Thank you!

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 2798 times
Been liked: 2955 times

Post by fastbob » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:56 am

QBoiii wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am
That's a great idea, thanks @Ian Frog! Luckily i have some up-opened 10W-40 just in case but I'll try that! Tricks of the trade ay? Thank you!
Good tip that , I've done it loads of times . If you stick a 1" thick plank under the back tyre it greatly increases the lean angle . After all , you wouldn't want to drop oil on the lounge carpet ! .........What ?

Return to “Pitstop”