Clutch Kit but which one?

QBoiii

Hi people,

Took my Thundercat out for a spin this morning amd noticed the clutch is almost non existant. It has been wearing down for a while but was almost unrideable today. Ive got a car mechanic background and have changed countless clutches in cars that come with everything. Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, cover and thrust bearing. Ive checked a video on the bike one which looks do-able but ordering the parts isn't that staight forward.

A few of the kits have just the friction disks in (which look to me like the parts that wear down and may be the only bits that need changing), some have them with springs and some have the steel plates aswell. The prices don't help, Yamparts had just the friction plates for £63.99, the steel plates separately for £35 but some of the parts on google have the whole lot for around £30?!?!

Do I just need to order the friction plates, the whole lot or am I betrer taking the old one apart and seeing whats happening down there?

I'm baffled and thanks in advance for the help

Q

Thanks very much Stu, Ill look into those now. I am going to just replace the whole lot. Saves taking it all apart again. I saw a Barretts kit (or similar name) but then checked a yzf forum which slated them. Its a shame no one seems to do a complete kit, with a car its just a quick phonecall to Europart and the whole lot is there 30 minutes later!

In my opinion you'd be fine with just new friction plates and EBC ones don't last any longer than cheaper Kyoto ones.. Even the Gecko plates from Wemoto seem fine (don't get their steel plates though, they're not flat!).

Don't bother with the fancy kevlar plates unless you want a grabby clutch.

In my opinion you'd be fine with just new friction plates and EBC ones don't last any longer than cheaper Kyoto ones.. Even the Gecko plates from Wemoto seem fine (don't get their steel plates though, they're not flat!).

Thank you! To be honest, given the time of year, Christmas just gone and next month being a 5 week month this is looking like what I'll be doing so this has given me some hope. I didn't mind the £65ish quid for the plates but then there's the Oil, gasket, may as well put a new filter on it, why not do the spark plugs etc.. it all adds up!

Barnett clutch?

I had one in my TL1000s they where a good clutch!

Yeh thats the one! It was something to do with the size being wrong for the Thurndercat (11mm) so people where reporting they were rattling when fitted :-?

Just pretending to be a ducati then :lol:

If you're not going to replace the steels then I would make sure you check them all for signs of warpage etc as if the clutch is just slipping it will be causing a lot of heat on those plates and it doesn't take a lot to shag them

Just pretending to be a ducati then :lol:

If you're not going to replace the steels then I would make sure you check them all for signs of warpage etc as if the clutch is just slipping it will be causing a lot of heat on those plates and it doesn't take a lot to shag them

Thank you again Stu! I'm going to get in the garage when the missus gets home and take it all apart and see what's what. I think the plates and the springs are essential but the steel plates need inspection like you said. Luckily Europart have a 50% sale on at the mo! Probably won't do the parts i need but at least the plugs and oil will be cheaper :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plates as well as friction plates - It will save heartache long-term. And don't 'skimp' on the steel plates as cheap ones tend to warp easily.

8-)

Thank you! Also they have to put up with my terrible riding :lol: :lol:

Hi people,

Took my Thundercat out for a spin this morning amd noticed the clutch is almost non existant. It has been wearing down for a while but was almost unrideable today. Ive got a car mechanic background and have changed countless clutches in cars that come with everything. Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, cover and thrust bearing. Ive checked a video on the bike one which looks do-able but ordering the parts isn't that staight forward.

A few of the kits have just the friction disks in (which look to me like the parts that wear down and may be the only bits that need changing), some have them with springs and some have the steel plates aswell. The prices don't help, Yamparts had just the friction plates for £63.99, the steel plates separately for £35 but some of the parts on google have the whole lot for around £30?!?!

Do I just need to order the friction plates, the whole lot or am I betrer taking the old one apart and seeing whats happening down there?

I'm baffled and thanks in advance for the help

Q

£30 for a complete clutch kit ? Either the decimal point is in the wrong place or that's the price of one plate . Here you go , stick one of these in . https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333290438741

£30 for a complete clutch kit ? Either the decimal point is in the wrong place or that's the price of one plate . Here you go , stick one of these in . https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333290438741

Thanks Bob!! That was the exact thing I was hoping to find!

I was very dubious of the cheap price, probably Chinese crap

Just a quicky QBoii if you havent already started to dismantle things it is worth seeing if you can remove the clutch cover with the bike on the sidestand without dropping the oil.

Its a small saving but one that's worth trying.

Take a small sample of oil and magnet check plus visual for condition.

I found out a long time ago when racing one of the Busas that this worked and as I was changing friction plates and measuring stack thickness more than once per meeting it helped.

Also plus one for the Gecko plates from wemoto and Yam steel for flatness.

Cheers

Ian

That's a great idea, thanks @Ian Frog! Luckily i have some up-opened 10W-40 just in case but I'll try that! Tricks of the trade ay? Thank you!

Good tip that , I've done it loads of times . If you stick a 1" thick plank under the back tyre it greatly increases the lean angle . After all , you wouldn't want to drop oil on the lounge carpet ! .........What ?

Just a quicky QBoii if you havent already started to dismantle things it is worth seeing if you can remove the clutch cover with the bike on the sidestand without dropping the oil.

I found out a long time ago when racing one of the Busas that this worked and as I was changing friction plates and measuring stack thickness more than once per meeting it helped.

Cheers

Ian

My experience of Gecko plates was not so good . Mine burned out on the ER5 when I made a mess of climbing a series of hairpin bends called the Devil's Staircase in Wales . To be fair , I didn't measure the steel plates or check the stack height.

That's a great idea, thanks @Ian Frog! Luckily i have some up-opened 10W-40 just in case but I'll try that! Tricks of the trade ay? Thank you!

Good tip that , I've done it loads of times . If you stick a 1" thick plank under the back tyre it greatly increases the lean angle . After all , you wouldn't want to drop oil on the lounge carpet ! .........What ?

This is exactly the kind of gen I joined this site for, Thank you Bob!

:lol: :lol:

There speaks a man who has bought a new lounge carpet because SWMBO came home before he hid the stains lol.

Trust me I sympathise lol.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

My experience of Gecko plates was not so good . Mine burned out on the ER5 when I made a mess of climbing a series of hairpin bends called the Devil's Staircase in Wales . To be fair , I didn't measure the steel plates or check the stack height.

Hi Bob

We haven`t been introduced so Hello I am pleased to meet you !

Your post interests me, are you doing hill climbs? I have no experience of this kind of racing and it is something I would like to learn about.

Happy to start a new thread rather than hijack.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Hi Bob

We haven`t been introduced so Hello I am pleased to meet you !

Your post interests me, are you doing hill climbs? I have no experience of this kind of racing and it is something I would like to learn about.

Happy to start a new thread rather than hijack.

Cheers

Ian

Ha ha , no not hill climbing in a competition just roaming around mid Wales . I just glanced at a map and saw a big bit of Wales that I'd never been to before . I didn't find out that this road was called the Devil's Staircase until afterwards . I wrote about my experience of limping home 160 miles with hardly any clutch on this forum so I'll try to find it . Here you go . https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64618&p=1006622&hilit=Devils#p1006622