CBR 125 Indicator Relay

Petts1337

Hi all,

First time poster.

Have just bought a CBR 125 2011 model as a cheap run around.

Got it through the MOT on Monday and one of the advisory items was indicators flashing too fast.

I've bought a new flasher unit/indicator relay. Does anyone know the location of it on this model? I've heard conflicting stories of it being behind the rear fairing and behind the speedo unit. Would like to be certain before I start taking bits off.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

It's part 15 but this probably won't help you find exactly where it is , near the front somewhere so in the fairing I would guess.

2034679598_wp_ss_20180823_0002(2).thumb.png.d07881582d6dd9d2bca37f954afdd5bc.png

Are the bulbs the correct wattage? Has someone fitted LEDs instead?

Yes, why would it be the indicator relay? Either it works, or it doesn't. Probably nothing wrong witth it. Most likely culprit is somone fitting LED indicators so you'll probably need ballast resistors somewhere in the indicator circuit (usually in parallel with the bulbs) to bring the flash rate down again. Or fit an LED type flasher unit.

See here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?ie=UTF-8&client=tablet-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q=-too-fast-hyperflashing

Flashing too fast is usually the current being higher than than spec, if a bulb of a higher wattage has been installed for example.

lower current draw makes them flash faster

LED's use less current hence why you fit resistors :)

Flashing too fast is usually the current being higher than than spec, if a bulb of a higher wattage has been installed for example.

lower current draw makes them flash faster

LED's use less current hence why you fit resistors :)

It depends on what kind of relay is fitted. If it's got a thermal relay they will flash faster with higher current, so just worth checking the bulbs before ditching the relay. A thermal relay with LEDs won't flash at all as the current flow isn't sufficient to trigger it. This is something I learnt the hard way!

On older circuits a way round the indicators flashing too slowly was to add a hidden bulb to increase the current.

But if it's an electronic relay then it's the other way round.

Could be completely irrelevant but.....

My little honda's relay is directly behind the clocks. It's a two pin relay. With the standard rely, if you swap your bulbs for LED's they flash too quickly. It's like a mad rave. Buy another 2 pin rely (mine was the grand sum of £1 from ebay) for LED's and you don;t need to worry about resistors and maths. Simply plug it in, put your LED's in and it works. Mine even has a little dial on the bottom to slow or quicken the flashes.

However, a dodge earth can also cause lights to do weird things I have found. If the bike is meant to have a 2 pin rely but actually has a 3 pin one, the indicators simply stay on :roll:.

So my guess, either the rely is needing replaced or there is an earth fault somewhere.

Good morning all,

Thank you very much for all your help.

The indicator relay was indeed behind the speedo.

It was a 2 pin relay. I'd already ordered a replacement for the grand sum of £1.99 so I swapped it over. It has fixed the flashing issue. They are standard bulbs, not LED.

I also installed a new battery as I had assumed the old one was dead (it'd been sat in a garage for 12 months prior to my buying it. It wasn't holding a charge). After riding it for ten minutes it died on me again. I'm assuming it'll either be a) a dodgy earth and the charge isn't getting back to the battery, b) reg rectifier or c) alternator. I'm hoping it's option a as b and c are going to render my cheap little run around not so cheap.

Thanks again for your assistance.

186979994_WhatsAppImage2018-08-22at12_32_35.thumb.jpeg.c8abe280aa07f6310cce25058162b7b7.jpeg

Hi , glad that you fixed the indicator issue and glad that you let us know how you got on . Regarding the battery, was it given a charge prior to fitting ? I understand that you can't buy batteries that you have to put the acid in yourself anymore so I wonder how long the battery was sitting on a shelf before you got it . One thing you could do before you spend too much money is get a multi metre for £13 from Wilko's and test the battery, charging output , and the rec/ reg. You will need a manual to do the latter so try looking for a free PDF online first . Good luck.

Hi , glad that you fixed the indicator issue and glad that you let us know how you got on . Regarding the battery, was it given a charge prior to fitting ? I understand that you can't buy batteries that you have to put the acid in yourself anymore so I wonder how long the battery was sitting on a shelf before you got it . One thing you could do before you spend too much money is get a multi metre for £13 from Wilko's and test the battery, charging output , and the rec/ reg. You will need a manual to do the latter so try looking for a free PDF online first . Good luck.

Agree....I would expect that a fully-charged battery would last a bit longer than 10 minutes......stick it on a charger, leave overnight, refit & see what happens.....and £13 for a multimeter?? Gross extravagance! LAP MAS830B from Screwfix will do the job great for £10.99! You can spend the £2 on a bottle of Frosty Jack then you won't care about anything for an hour or two...... :cheers:

Hi both,

Thank you for your replies.

I tried charging the battery and the same happened. Took it out for a quick spin, could feel it getting lumpy as I was standstill. Back home after about 15 minutes, died as I pulled up. Tried to start it again - nothing.

No charge getting back to the battery so I'm going to test the earthing theory tonight. Failing that will do some digging for the PDF though a Haynes manual might not be a bad idea anyway.

Other than that will do as you say re: the multi meter.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for the assistance.

P.S. I'll double the £2 and get some Scrumpy Jack I think if I'm going down that route. There's only room for one Jack in my life and it's not Frosty! Ha ha.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update as I said I'd drop back in.

Checked all of the existing earths and put an extra one leading back to the engine casing with some proper earthing wire and clips and same happened re: the battery dying.

Leaves me to think it's the reg/recti. It seems to be a common fault reading up online on this particular model.

Fingers crossed that sorts it otherwise I would assume it'll be the stator/alternator.

Hopefully not as they can get a bit pricey!

Thanks again for the assistance. I'll report back.

Reg/recs pop like balloons at a kids party on Hondas so I'd back that being the issue.

I don't think it's an earthing issue anyway as it would create a short and you'd feel it riding a long. An earth fault is usually a short circuit, and the sudden load on your alternator would bring the bike to a stop.

Something is draining the battery or not charging it. Best way to tell is check with a multi-meter periodically with the bike running, if the voltage is low or moving down you know it's not charging. If it's charging, unless it's overcharging (17V or higher on a 12V battery), then something is draining it.

Maybe a relay stuck on in its storage and you have power going to parts of the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Reg/recs pop like balloons at a kids party on Hondas so I'd back that being the issue.

I don't think it's an earthing issue anyway as it would create a short and you'd feel it riding a long. An earth fault is usually a short circuit, and the sudden load on your alternator would bring the bike to a stop.

Something is draining the battery or not charging it. Best way to tell is check with a multi-meter periodically with the bike running, if the voltage is low or moving down you know it's not charging. If it's charging, unless it's overcharging (17V or higher on a 12V battery), then something is draining it.

Maybe a relay stuck on in its storage and you have power going to parts of the bike.

Good morning all, another update (regretfully, another poor one).

I've now changed the reg/rec and it seemed to work for a day or two.

Riding home last night, however, dead. The battery was fully charged prior to riding it on Tuesday morning. It got me to work and back okay, started alright yesterday morning, then yesterday evening it struggled to start then died at idle.

I've now checked the earths, replaced the battery and replaced the reg/rec. This leaves me to believe it has to be the stator/alternator? All lights are standard, i.e. not after market LEDs, and I've checked all the fuses.

This was meant as a cheap work run around and it's becoming a timely, costly and frustrating exercise!

Any other advice before I throw it into the garage before I throw myself into something?

Thank you once again.

What did the connectors to the Reg/Rec look like?......They can get cooked and go high resistance, so you don't get the full charge going to the battery...... :wink:

Failing that, it sounds like your stator may be toast.......remove it and have a look at the windings.....any dark or discoloured sections would suggest that it's been cooked......replacement or rewind are your only options if that's the case.... :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

An update (hopefully the last!).

After checking/cleaning/adding the earths, replacing the battery and reg/recti it left me with the stator.

Opened up the housing and it was fried.

I sent it off to be refurbished (it was cheaper than buying a new one, and used ones were nearly as expensive) and as of today it seems to be okay.

It has been a rather painful experience but hopefully has now come to end.

At least I know the rest of the bike has all new electrical components now :thumb:

Thanks for all your help.

Hi all,

An update (hopefully the last!).

After checking/cleaning/adding the earths, replacing the battery and reg/recti it left me with the stator.

Opened up the housing and it was fried.

I sent it off to be refurbished (it was cheaper than buying a new one, and used ones were nearly as expensive) and as of today it seems to be okay.

It has been a rather painful experience but hopefully has now come to end.

At least I know the rest of the bike has all new electrical components now :thumb:

Thanks for all your help.

Where did you send it off to ? This could be very useful to others in the future. I used to use a place in Teignmouth , Devon . The other place I know about was West Country Windings which was also in Devon I think.

• 1 year later...

I realise this is late but I'm posting to possibly save others the trouble you and I had. I have a 2015 cbr repsol and needed to replace the flasher relay. I too was informed it was beneath the rear fairings which I removed..... For nothing. On the 2015 model you don't even need a single tool for this job. Simply reach up under the headlight (assuming your kneeling in front of the front wheel it is on the right hand side). Just reach up and slide it from its mounting bracket, then unplug and replace with a new one then.... For the tricky part..... Slide it back on. If your like me I got sick of trying that pretty fast as the new relay mount was solid plastic and not flexible rubber, I just stuffed it up under the headlight fairing. Either way, job done in two minutes. Hope this helps someone else.

I realise this is late but I'm posting to possibly save others the trouble you and I had. I have a 2015 cbr repsol and needed to replace the flasher relay. I too was informed it was beneath the rear fairings which I removed..... For nothing. On the 2015 model you don't even need a single tool for this job. Simply reach up under the headlight (assuming your kneeling in front of the front wheel it is on the right hand side). Just reach up and slide it from its mounting bracket, then unplug and replace with a new one then.... For the tricky part..... Slide it back on. If your like me I got sick of trying that pretty fast as the new relay mount was solid plastic and not flexible rubber, I just stuffed it up under the headlight fairing. Either way, job done in two minutes. Hope this helps someone else.

Which is exactly where I suggested it would be right at the beginning based on the illustration of the wiring loom .